GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul

Can someone double check my parts, I want to make sure this is the only time I have to do this job
Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 6.17.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 6.17.17 PM.png

(Part Number) (PNC)

* "HR1" / "707299-S300" (*top* O-ring for the 9N499 to 8548A)
* "8255B" / "4Z-8255-CA" (*bottom* O-ring for the 9N499 to engine block)
* "8255A" / "JV-8255-CB" (The 2 O-rings from 8548A to front face of engine block)
* "8590" / "9Z-8590-AB" (Large O-ring from 8548A to 8592)
* "9439" / "9Z-9439-AA" (Intake Manifold Gasket)

The 4 parts listed above are the various O-rings (gaskets/seals) that are contained within/between the 3 cooling plastic components (8548A, 94N99, and 8592).

Just making sure, I placed the order according to this post - a huge help - but pictured in the Workshop Manual (#7) part W707299 says 2 required and shows from Thermostat housing to engine, the 2 o-rings and says 2 required. Is this a typo in the manual for the part number? or are those the 96JV-8255-CB. Maybe in too much of a hurry, and thanks for this post and all the help found here!!!
PART(S) W707299-S300.PNG

You want 2 Motorcraft RG-619 for the crossover to the heads... and one Motorcraft RG-608 if pulling the front of the thermostat housing to replace the thermostat.

You also want 1 Ford W707299S300. This is the large O-ring that goes between the crossover and the gooseneck, (elbow), that bolts to the block This O-ring actually fits on the gooseneck.

All bolts in this area are torqued to 89 INCH- pounds.

Total cost for all o-rings/gaskets should be around $30.

Got it, 2 of the 37mm ones. It gets a bit confusing with part #"s and when PartsGiant says doesn't know if RG # will fit the vehicle, but longer p/n will. Thanks, and i will bump this again if i add a copy of the parts list. Only $1k including pump, aux pump and dccv, and not looking forward to the job itself either. It'a be worth it, Thanks for the info 04!

96JV8255-CB XW4Z8255-CA.PNG

I read somewhere, helps to know which model year and motor, per Joe . . .
2004 3.9L

I just ordered and installed these parts about a month ago. The W707299S300 that goes on the gooseneck... was leaking. I ordered all Ford parts from the dealer... and the 37mm and 54mm were the Motorcraft "RG" parts mentioned.

LS ordered.PNG

I have to vent my complete disappointment in Tasca; pretty amazing, ordered Nov. 8 and still no tracking status (closed today 11/25). I called last Monday and was told they really "dropped the ball". Not waiting on the Aux. Pump which was the original wait, but for merely a usually-well-stocked "heater Hose" as I was told, but not which one. Said they would "emergency order" the part and it would be express shipped for sure by Friday. Friday is now yesterday. This was a project to get done either last weekend or for sure Thanksgiving weekend . . right now! Thinking of cancelling altogether, not so thankful on this, ha.

Anyways . . . . . heres the part numbers of the order if it shows up: the three W5000 bolts I ordered either to just replace at the housing or may try as #32 reply mentioned, (but extras anyway).

LS order.PNG

(may I ask what the usual shipping time-frame for this order should be?)

It has usually been one to two weeks for me, but that’s usually at Ford Parts Giant. That said, LS parts are getting harder to get. I may start ordering from Jaguar. They sell many of the cooling parts in kits. Most should fit.

CS PARTS.JPG

I guess Christmas has arrived. Tasca came throught in a big way after that initial let-down. Got an email - processed 4pm yesterday, next-day air - arrived from RI to MN 1:30 today, very nice indeed. (just a note, the two thicker o-rings pictured . . only need one as 04 SPORT confirmed, but I'd added it to the order just before knowing for certain). Only thing missing is the radiator; with upper rad. support bracket off, visually ok (we'll see).

front of the plastic side tank on the passenger side. You may need to remove the upper radiator mount on that side to see it well enough. Here's a picture of the front of the radiator with the surface of concern circled in red.
View attachment 828566984

So far I have plumbing out, plastics (except at back/and degas), Aux., Dccv, connectors etc.
Intake manifold is NOT off and, but for the EGR to EX manifold tube NUT I would be further along. I tried that this evening to complete the disassembly, no such luck. I have a 22mm open-end, too small. What size exactly for the EGR exhaust pipe, rusty looking nut? . . . as if welded (can't say I wasn't warned, and terrific advice, SS, to remove the fuel pressure sensor). I will be stopping tmrw to get the right size wrench as well as a LB-INCH torque wrench.

Other quick question: IN manifold is going to be removed without taking out fuel rails. Is there an easy way to get the fuel line connecting both rails off without chomping up that fuel hose? (it goes over and across the manifold).

Also, not going to remove throttle body, don't know of advantage to that.
303-01b 51..PNG

THANKS for the help!!!

...Other quick question: IN manifold is going to be removed without taking out fuel rails. Is there an easy way to get the fuel line connecting both rails off without chomping up that fuel hose? (it goes over and across the manifold).

Also, not going to remove throttle body, don't know of advantage to that.

There's no need to do that (and please don't try - the fuel rail is one piece.) You only need to disconnect the quick connect on the fuel line on the driver's side. The rail is one piece that stays with the intake manifold and injectors. And yes, there is no need to remove the throttle body from the intake manifold. (Just to be clear, the intake manifold, fuel injectors, and throttle body all remove as one assembly. The manifold includes the metal under the plastic. It's not just the plastic.)

I think it was 24mm on the EGR, but I'm not sure. I have a set of "service" wrenches that I use for this. They are large, strong, open end wrenches that are very thin and somewhat short. Makes it easy to fit them in there.

i STARTED to try:eek: big oops, but didn't get too far.
Not been reading quite enough it seems, tho sounds eerily familiar as if I did read it once. Great info as always and good news for me, Thanks!

What is the part number for the damn Bleeder hose that connects to part 3W4Z-8C289-AA...I just need it

What is the part number for the damn Bleeder hose that connects to part 3W4Z-8C289-AA...I just need it

The heater air bleed comes with the Degas bottle, 5W4Z-8A080-AA. AFAIK, Ford does not sell it separately. You probably need a new degas bottle anyway...

I take it the plastic screw or threads in the plug/sleeve stripped out???

Only solution for just that part or hose assembly would be a boneyard... and a couple new worm drive, (screw type), clamps from your LPS.

Noticed that some of these shopping lists don't contain the degas bottle cap. That led me to believe that said item would be included with the cap, but by looking at the pictures of what people are getting, that doesn't seem to be the case.

So, please confirm my suspicions: the OEM degas bottle (Motorcraft 5W4Z8A080AA) does not come with a cap, correct?

The bottle cap part number is one of these, from what I gather: 9C3Z8101B, 1W138101AA, F6DZ8100A, RS103, RS527
(Not to be confused with the engine fill cap).

Oh, and I should have started by saying thank you to everyone who put this invaluable information together and shared it!

...So, please confirm my suspicions: the OEM degas bottle (Motorcraft 5W4Z8A080AA) does not come with a cap, correct?...

Correct, cap not included.

...The bottle cap part number is one of these, from what I gather: 9C3Z8101B, 1W138101AA, F6DZ8100A, RS103, RS527

Looks like the current number is : F6DZ-8100-A
F6DZ-8100-A - Ford Parts Giant

Wow, it's come down to a reasonable price. It was much higher before. They seem to last a long time and when they were more expensive it didn't make much sense to change them. Now, it's probably worth while.

Looks like the current number is : F6DZ-8100-A
F6DZ-8100-A - Ford Parts Giant

Wow, it's come down to a reasonable price. It was much higher before. They seem to last a long time and when they were more expensive it didn't make much sense to change them. Now, it's probably worth while.

That page says
Replaced By 9C3Z-8101-B
so that's why I put that number first. Is there another way to tell?
RockAuto also carries the OE one it for 60cents cheaper... I expect that they'll sponsor me as their fan boy since I keep referencing them. :D (but seriously, for anyone with a shopping list there, it's an alternative)

It has usually been one to two weeks for me, but that’s usually at Ford Parts Giant. That said, LS parts are getting harder to get. I may start ordering from Jaguar. They sell many of the cooling parts in kits. Most should fit.

Can you link me to any of the kits? I am starting to save up for cooling parts on my 2006. Better to start now before there is any problems.

Members online

Back