GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul

What kinda of changes need to be made to work?

Well, I've yet to try one to be sure. One obvious difference is that there is no engine fill cap. Another is the temperature sensor (should be okay as long as it's not in the way of anything). Other than those, I can't tell if the hose barbs all point in the right directions.

Well, I've yet to try one to be sure. One obvious difference is that there is no engine fill cap. Another is the temperature sensor (should be okay as long as it's not in the way of anything). Other than those, I can't tell if the hose barbs all point in the right directions.
Gotcha I will likely just get it part by part then. But if I decide to go that route is it gonna be ok with no fill cap? I already had purchased a Thermostat and Housing for it cause it had stuck open one time months back but never has since then. Just have lot's of other parts to get as well lol. The URO Degas Bottle should be the same install as well for the 06 as the 01 right?

Last edited:
I think I could get by with no fill cap by disconnecting the engine air bleed hose while filling, but it's theory at this point. I don't know what modification is needed for the URO, but it would be the same for both generations.

I think I could get by with no fill cap by disconnecting the engine air bleed hose while filling, but it's theory at this point. I don't know what modification is needed for the URO, but it would be the same for both generations.

From what I can tell by comparing the OEM motorcraft and URO tank side by side. They look the same I don't even see what the difference is. I even placed the URO one in the LS and it seemed to fit and line up as well. Once my Radiator comes in I will know for sure and my recovery tank hose and clamp pliers just came in so have all the parts other than the radiator.

Does anyone know the Crossover tube part number for the 06 GEN 2? I looked at the list on the main page but kinda confused on which one is actually the crossover tube. I just want to make sure I am getting the right parts.

Last edited:
hey joe thanks for all your help.. so ive come to the conclusion the fan has gone bad.. well i think at least..with my scanner the ecu is commanding 70% but its not moving.. but when i turn on the AC the command drops to 40% and it starts to spin .. when i over ride the white wire and ground it it spins at full speed> would you say its the Fan with internal controller or PCM thanks again youve been a life saver

hey joe thanks for all your help.. so ive come to the conclusion the fan has gone bad.. well i think at least..with my scanner the ecu is commanding 70% but its not moving.. but when i turn on the AC the command drops to 40% and it starts to spin .. when i over ride the white wire and ground it it spins at full speed> would you say its the Fan with internal controller or PCM thanks again youve been a life saver

I could be wrong, but I don't think that indicates any problem with the fan or the PCM. Some scan tools invert the fan percentage, and it doesn't range all the way to 0 or 100. You'd need to use a tool with the ability to directly command the fan to a particular speed.

its an autel maxisys ..i dont see any command feature ive looked through every module ..ill have to double check.. the reason why i think something is wrong is im not getting any fan at idle even when it starts to climb over 200 .. iv had it go up to 220 then i put the ac on and it came back down to 199.. like my other post states ive changed all components in overhaul with Motorcraft ..they system was not presurizing with the dorman degas like you stated so i did motorcraft

This really has me scratching my head...
Do note that there is a hose connected to the bottom rear of the Intake Manifold. You will not be able to remove it entirely until you disconnect this hose. Here is a picture of the hose.
View attachment 828465256

Also be cautious when removing this hose, for it doesn't like to come off easy. DO NOT scrape or dig into the metal line that it's connected to. If you do, there's a good chance it will leak. If you need to, step away and yell at your dog because it's his fault. Then when calmed down, continue. Be patient, don't break stuff.
Where does this hose at the back of the manifold fit into this diagram:

s6x~us~en~file=a0066429.gif~gen~ref.gif

And if it's not here, then what does the hose connect to? Around the driver side of the engine and back to the thermostat housing "tree"?

...And if it's not here, then what does the hose connect to? Around the driver side of the engine and back to the thermostat housing "tree"?

It's not on that diagram. It's a vacuum hose that connects to a check valve that connects to the brake booster.

XW4Z-8C289-FA is the part number for the coolant return hose that runs from the BOTTOM of the degas bottle (3W4Z-8C289-AA) to the bifurcated return pipe that's attached to the firewall (3W4Z-8C289-AA). Thanks @DaleGrib!

The Part number for the hose that attaches to the bottom [of the degas bottle] is XW4Z-8C289-FA

Useful if you plan on using a 3rd party bottle (seems like URO is the only decent alternative), which may not come with it.

This part is discontinued, and now comes with the degas bottle. But you may be able to find it here and there.
Hose Assembly - Ford (XW4Z-8C289-FA) | Tasca Auto Parts
eBay.
XW4Z-8C289-FA - Genuine Ford Base No. #8C289B Hose Assembly (marked as discontinued).

Been building my shopping list.

I found something awkward on RockAuto, which was throwing me off: the large o-ring between the "thermostat housing" and the "thermostat cover" is referenced on RA as "w/o Engine Oil Cooler" for 2W9Z-8590-AB (which is what everyone is getting for Gen2) AND "w/ Engine Oil Cooler" for 2W9Z-8590-BA. I this last p/n is rarely referenced, and it seems to be the Gen1 number.

They're both on Tasca:
Thermostat Gasket - Ford (2W9Z-8590-AB) | Tasca Auto Parts (Gen2)
Thermostat Gasket - Ford (XW4Z-8590-BA) | Tasca Auto Parts (Gen1)
However, Tasca is smart enough to match the first to Gen2 and the second to Gen1 (if you enter vehicle compatibility).
I guess RA is referencing them backwards, since all (edit) most Gen2s have oil coolers; also the location of this seal would not make a difference if you had an oil cooler or not. Same applies to the aftermarket versions.

Just putting this here in case anyone else trips on this. (Please correct if wrong).
Goes to show how valuable doing your homework is. Again, thanks everyone for their contributions.

Last edited:
Sorry to spam, but will likely be doing this soon:

Does anyone have any experience (negative or positive) with aftermarket water pumps? Is the Motorcraft one really worth the extra $100? I'm not going to cheap out on any of the plastic parts, because I've read enough nightmares, but water pumps seem to be something everyone makes. Would probably be looking at the Gates branded one.
I might bite the bullet though... this coolant system is finicky enough, and I have a feeling that a pump that doesn't perform to the exact tolerance might cause more headaches.

What about intake manifold gaskets? Fel-Pro OR Mahle? Or is the Motorcraft far superior?

...Does anyone have any experience (negative or positive) with aftermarket water pumps? Is the Motorcraft one really worth the extra $100?...What about intake manifold gaskets? Fel-Pro OR Mahle? Or is the Motorcraft far superior?

I don't have experience with aftermarket water pumps for the LS. I have enough experience with aftermarket water pumps on my Ranger that I am unwilling to touch aftermarket water pumps on anything again. Your experience may be different. Mine was prior to the Ranger.

I've had no problems with Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets.

...all Gen2s have oil coolers...

You would think so, but no. There were a very few non-sport gen II V8s made, all in northern areas, I think.

I have enough experience with aftermarket water pumps on my Ranger that I am unwilling to touch aftermarket water pumps on anything again.
That's enough to push me in the right direction. Thanks. (all the water pump experiences I've had have been with 4 cyl cars where the pump is attached to the timing belt, and since that repair is expensive already, I think an OEM pump was always used).

You would think so, but no. There were a very few non-sport gen II V8s made, all in northern areas, I think.

Ah, ok. Good to know. Was going by what I read here:
No. You do, in fact, have an oil cooler. All gen II V8s have an oil cooler. (All gen I V8 sports have an oil cooler too.)

...Ah, ok. Good to know. Was going by what I read here:

Yep, live and learn (and I still do both). Some of the Ford documentation says that gen II V8s were only sport, but that was demonstrated to be false.

Yep, live and learn (and I still do both).
Exactly! And again, thanks for always sharing what you're learning with us...

On an unrelated note, I've had a question about the bleed procedure for a while:
The instructions in the manual are VERY clear and I follow them to a tee, however, one thing that is not clear to me is how "open" the heater air bleed has to be.

Is it fully open (i.e. take the screw cap off entirely), half way, only a little bit, etc. I searched around here and found no explanation. Some of the videos I found online showed about 2mm of separation. I noticed that how much you open the valve affects how much of a "steady stream" can be achieved.

Don't know if I am right, but I do it fully open (screw removed) for the first part, then screw just loosened for the final part.

Some have had trouble with them, but most (so far) have not.

I'm reading that as a yes.
There's no way to change these later, without taking the whole manifold off again, is there?

I take it that there isn't a Ford p/n for this? (info) Or a reputable source besides what's listed in those threads? I've searched the forum for intake manifold or plenum (I know that's not a plenum) and it's mostly unrelated; do these gaskets have a proper name? I could not find them in the manual either.

I will ask more questions in the appropriate threads, but I figure it will be good to have this info here for anyone who's also wondering this...

I think that Ford's intent was that the whole intake manifold would be changed if there was ever a problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back