GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul

getting ready to order parts. couple questions:

HS1 bolts - W500215-S309 - i count a total of 11

Thermostat housing seal - 96JV-8255-CB - need 2

Thermo housing seal - XW4Z-8255-CA - only 1

Thermo gasket - 2W9Z-8590-AB - only 1

and what hoses come with the degas bottle? do both 3W4Z-8C289-AA and 3W4Z-8276-CB come with? i see those on the illustrations but in none of the part lists here. thanks guys.

and what hoses come with the degas bottle? do both 3W4Z-8C289-AA and 3W4Z-8276-CB come with? i see those on the illustrations but in none of the part lists here. thanks guys.

It should come with everything you need (it definitely comes with the bottom hose), except the cap. You'll need to order a new Motorcraft cap if you had previously been using the Dorman.

This may be a stupid question but, I just have to know.

What or who says the Degas bottle has to be a certain size or shape? I get the specific volume requirement that may be required but, the shape has to be exact also? Sorry, that's 2 questions.

what in the hell

car.jpg

car2.jpg

This may be a stupid question but, I just have to know.

What or who says the Degas bottle has to be a certain size or shape? I get the specific volume requirement that may be required but, the shape has to be exact also? Sorry, that's 2 questions.

the shape is dictated by where it has to fit and whats around it... if you were designing the car, you could put it where you wanted it and make it what ever shape it needed to be to fit there... if you were making your own, you could shape it how you would like, as long as it has the right volume, and internal features like the tube that helps to separate the air from the water.

a lot of coolant has gotten on the existing one. joe and others have suggested replacing it, as did the guy who's gonna do the work for me.

It's also an easy time to change the belt since you'll have everything out of the way.

joe do you mind taking a look at my list there and seeing if i'm missing anything?

thanks pal. 2004 V8, i assume i do NOT have the oil cooler?

No. You do, in fact, have an oil cooler. All gen II V8s have an oil cooler. (All gen I V8 sports have an oil cooler too.)

item # 18472 and #8548C and #8548A - can't find p/n for them. do they need replacing?

RenderIllustration.jpg

RenderIllustration.jpg

18472 is the heater hose. I haven't heard of a failure of this yet.
8548C is the other throttle body heater hose. I haven't had a problem with it yet. I leave it off the list because it is trivial to change if it does start leaking (no parts to remove to get to it, no need to drain system).
8548A is 3W4Z-8548-AD, which is on your list already.

Members online

No members online now.
Back