Fuel rail gas line anything special about it?

midwest hillbilly

LVC Member
Reaction score
Developed a pin hole leak in the fuel line going across the intake from fuel rail to fuel rail back one closest to the throttlebody is this just a reg fuel line or something i can replace without byeing rails and all

The leak is in the hose not on the rail itself. Will replace the rail and everything if i have to but would rather do just the line just didnt know what i was getting into before i cut it off to find out i shouldnt have lol

Go to any parts house and buy 3/8 fuel hose and 2 fuel hose clamps, not the ones with the band threaded

Use a fresh razor and slice the ends of the old one long ways, makes removing it quite simple, the new hose should be a snug fit on the ribbed cross leads. Slide the clamps on the hose before installing it ;)

FWIW, a trip to a local junk yard will net you a newer fuel rail cheap.

More peace of mind than patching something together.

I had the same issue..., Try to get Fuel line registered for high pressure.. I replaced it with regular fuel line when I had the same issue, it was a short term fix due to heat on the intake it dried out the hose quickly..

There are repair shops that can replace the plastic fuel line with the same stuff the factory used see if you can find one. it will be almost perminant.

I have already had to swap out the hose after 3 months.. due to heat cracking.

FWIW,

Gates pushloc hose is what you need.

Its pressure and fuel rated. For heat, wrap it in some loom.

I would still just get another rail.

FWIW, don't cheap out on underhood fuel line repairs. This was a result of a leaking injector o-ring but its the same idea/location. This is NoLimit's old car...

Fire011.jpg

Fire002.jpg

FWIW, don't cheap out on underhood fuel line repairs. This was a result of a leaking injector o-ring but its the same idea/location. This is NoLimit's old car...

Fire011.jpg

Fire002.jpg

That was a result of it not being put together correctly, but yeah, fuel leaks are a bad thing, regardless of location

You don't need a whole new rail, just find the proper replacement hose and have it installed..and I damn sure wouldn't buy a salvage part one...the one you have on the car is already old, what would installing another old one fix?

FWIW the new Ethenol content in the fuel is going to help produce problems like these for all of us. So if your hoses are still factory, you may want to consider saving for these repairs as well.

Please let me elaborate on the above pics. Not only was this just a simple fire that started under my hood, this was an explosion, under my hood, inside my garage and I was inside the car and at the same time, the garage door was on it's way down. This was by no means a nice experience. I saw death in a spit second. I got lucky. #1. My windows were up because it was January. #2. The firewall stopped injury to me, although a flame ball or something shot out of my air conditioner vent. The one to the left of the message center. That little flame shot right past the right side of my face and singed my right eyebrow. 10 houses away, this explosion was heard at 11:30 pm. I know this because they got out of bed and come walking down the street. A few told me they heard it. It blew the bottom of my back wall, which was nailed down to a concrete foundation, 8" off the foundation. All windows in the garage were blown out. Garage door windows were blown all the way across the street to the neighbors driveway. If anyone had been inside that garage or standing in a doorway, they would have either died instantly or ended up in a burn unit. I have two metal doors that lead out to the back yard and one goes into the laundry room and then into the kitchen from there. Both doors were twisted and wouldn't shut.

After the initial explosion, which was very loud seeing how I was right in the middle of it, I jumped out as fast as I could gather my thoughts and landed on a concrete floor that still had flames on it from gasoline. I then took a dive out of the garage and landed in the driveway full of glass and out of all that, I ended up with a gash on my leg that I didn't even know I had. I was asked by paramedics if I needed any medical assistance but I said no and the whole time, I really did need stitches in my leg. Blood was running down my leg and my sock was catching it. I never smelled this coming or knew it was coming. It just happened. I can only say, when it comes to fuel lines, rails, injectors, make sure to check for leaks, unlike me. If I had only checked first, I would still own the black on black 94 today. I drove that car 19,000 miles in 5 years and put a lot of money and TIME into it and I watched it burn to what you see above within 3 minutes. It was gone. Not only did I lose my car but I lost a lot of things I had in the garage. A lot of stuff my dad, (which passed away) had in the garage because liability insurance was all I had and believe this or not, my car insurance paid for the house to be fixed and I wasn't even driving it. :confused:

Just be safe when dealing with fuel and never assume that you know it all and never assume that you have something together correctly because you just may not. Luckily for me, Jamie came to the rescue for me and offered me the 95 I have now for $2,000 and I saw potential for it. Low miles but ugly interior. I have fixed all of that + much more.

Now I have renters insurance! I have enough to buy 20 Marks if anything like this happens again. I am now with a local State Farm agent and not some out of state cut rate insurance company. I had a gaping black hole on the end of my house for 6 to 8 months before it was finally fixed and it was because of an insurance company called Omni.

Anyway, I can't stress it enough and I'm glad Dan brought it up. Always check for leaks before starting the car and do not half ass your work when dealing with the fuel. I really can't remember if I left off an o-ring or an o-ring was still left in my intake and then I stuck the injectors in, only on the drivers side. I bolted the fuel rail back down nice and tight and I thought I was set. I shut the hood like a retard and didn't turn the key on and let the pump build pressure to check for leaks. So, now that I think about it, do the job right with the fuel line because it can be a 10 cent part or a 1.00 hose that could possibly end your life or the life of someone else.

I know a lot of you that seen this back when it happened and some of you that are new are thinking, "well you dumb ass, you should have checked for leaks" and that's fine lol. I learned my lesson.

That was a result of it not being put together correctly, but yeah, fuel leaks are a bad thing, regardless of location

You don't need a whole new rail, just find the proper replacement hose and have it installed..and I damn sure wouldn't buy a salvage part one...the one you have on the car is already old, what would installing another old one fix?

FWIW the new Ethenol content in the fuel is going to help produce problems like these for all of us. So if your hoses are still factory, you may want to consider saving for these repairs as well.

No No No, it was put together perfectly, can you not tell? :p

Fire013.jpg

This was just absolutely beautiful to stare at daily for months and months, all because of stupidity over something as simple as an o-ring.

Fire016.jpg

FirePics034.jpg

FirePics041.jpg

but, in the end, I ended up with this. Yes, I still have all my tools and toolboxes but lost a welder and some other high dollar big tools.

DSC02259.jpg

DSC02258.jpg

Makes me want to buy another Mark...and an old house, and blow them both up

Makes me want to buy another Mark...and an old house, and blow them both up

Just get insurance lol. God did I learn a big lesson with that whole ordeal. I do still feel like I'm in my black 94 though because the seats from it are in the 95. So really, I didn't lose all of it. I do have to admit that I have a better car now but I do miss the 94.

New hose here...

op4.jpg

You have to remove the fuel rail and really manhandle this stuff to put it on. I'd have to look up the hose specs, it's been a few years.

Probably -4 push lock hose.

And if you're going to remove the old hose with a razor blade or box knife, be very careful not to nick the barbs on the rail, or it will leak.

And if you're going to remove the old hose with a razor blade or box knife, be very careful not to nick the barbs on the rail, or it will leak.

Absolutely. It is much harder than it looks as the plastic liner of the OEM hose is difficult to cut.

thanks got it fixed!! i came back from lunch at work and smelled fuel couldn't figure out were it was coming from just knew it was coming from under the hood then remembering no limits posts on his fire i took off the air intake tube and inspected the injectors and the back (as i'am looking at the motor) left injector was wet from fuel but after looking at it more closely (under two plastic wire looms) was the fuel line running over two the other fuel rail that was leaking and running down the left fuel rail to the back injector thats were i first spotted the fuel. i consider myself lucky it didnt go up in flames but because of posts you all make gave me a direction to look for the leak and got it fixed before something did happen. maybe after this post next time you check the oil just glance at the front and back fuel lines, the rubber that went around the fuel line on mine was gone from the heat leaving just the hard old fuel line. thanks again guys

Members online

No members online now.
Back