Core charge from junk yard???

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is it standard practice for a junk yard to require a core charge when buying a complete engine? The first junk yard did NOT ask for that. This junkyard is asking for a $375 core, but said they would lower it to $250 unless I can give them a core. So I'll be paying $750 for a 98 motor with 66k on it, plus $250 for a core charge equalling a total of $1000. Is this right?

Something sounds fishy here.

Maybe they took the 98 in and put a new cam tower in and want to do the same to your 97. :) j/k

I have heard of core charges but it's usually for a part that will be rebuilt in some way.

Yeah, I have seen core charges on a variety of parts. I can see having a core charge with an engine because they will sell parts to rebuilders and unrebuildable parts as scrap.
Most of the pick your part operations up in Michigan used to charge a core charge on most parts.

Wow Ripped, you make my luck seem so good! :lol:

I FREAKING HATE LKQ!!! Management never answers the phone, their corporate line is nothing but voicemails! Man as soon as I get my degree it's companies like this that need to be scrutinized for shady practices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called a couple yards here a few monthes ago. None wanted a core but the average price was $1k anyway.

I FREAKING HATE LKQ!!! Management never answers the phone, their corporate line is nothing but voicemails! Man as soon as I get my degree it's companies like this that need to be scrutinized for shady practices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i had my 98 marquis i bought 03 marquis front and rear leather seats from lkq and i got them super cheap and they were in great shape....had to drive 1.5 hours to get them to save on shipping.. great bunch of poeple..guess it depends on wich location you go to.

Did you ever stop to think that a place like LKQ might infact be very busy?

Management prbably has many better things to do than talk with customers on the phone, unless you have a very ligit reason for talking with them.

Did you leave a message?

Have you tried email?

Has your temper possibly left them with a sour taste?

I belive you need to sit back and let them do thier jobs, leave a message, send an email, and chill.

Since you ask the question about core, did you do your research and find that 99% of all salvage yards have a core charge on engines and transmissions?

For someone who wants to throw the wieght of the legal system around for an aqusation of a "Shady" business, you really need to know what your talking about before you loose the case before you even walk out your front door.

Maybe the way you handle yourself on the phone with them is why you can't get anywhere with them, you probably ought to step back and have a look.

These people DO NOT depend on YOUR measely peance for keeping food on their table, insurance, and body shops do, you are a meniscule part of thier earning, and DO NOT MEAN SQWAT to them, if you flash any attitude or get crazy with the questions that they don't want to deal with you get thrown out the door.

OH! I'm sorry you didn't like that?

Deal with it, it's their business, and their rules, don't like it, go somewhere else, there is not SOP in the salvage world, they are not there to answer your question if this will work or not, it's up to you to figure it out, they don't have time for that crap.

Sorry if this is not the answer your looking for, in fact no I'm not, you need to lear that this is the real world, people like you who want to run around and sue people for your own lack of knowldge if futile.

I have my own set of rule you play by with me and how I do business, you don't like it, piss off, sue me? And the judge and I will see you back in court for wasting out time, while we laugh about it over drinks.

Get over yourself and grow up, learn how this works and quit being a girl about all this crap.

Dr. SVO phd

BTW, that will be $125 for consultation fees you can click the pay pal logo on the front page of my web site in my signiture below, thankyouverymuch

Frogman died and came back as SVO:D:lol:

Did you ever stop to think that a place like LKQ might infact be very busy?

Management prbably has many better things to do than talk with customers on the phone, unless you have a very ligit reason for talking with them.

Did you leave a message?

Have you tried email?

Has your temper possibly left them with a sour taste?

I belive you need to sit back and let them do thier jobs, leave a message, send an email, and chill.

Since you ask the question about core, did you do your research and find that 99% of all salvage yards have a core charge on engines and transmissions?

For someone who wants to throw the wieght of the legal system around for an aqusation of a "Shady" business, you really need to know what your talking about before you loose the case before you even walk out your front door.

Maybe the way you handle yourself on the phone with them is why you can't get anywhere with them, you probably ought to step back and have a look.

These people DO NOT depend on YOUR measely peance for keeping food on their table, insurance, and body shops do, you are a meniscule part of thier earning, and DO NOT MEAN SQWAT to them, if you flash any attitude or get crazy with the questions that they don't want to deal with you get thrown out the door.

OH! I'm sorry you didn't like that?

Deal with it, it's their business, and their rules, don't like it, go somewhere else, there is not SOP in the salvage world, they are not there to answer your question if this will work or not, it's up to you to figure it out, they don't have time for that crap.

Sorry if this is not the answer your looking for, in fact no I'm not, you need to lear that this is the real world, people like you who want to run around and sue people for your own lack of knowldge if futile.

I have my own set of rule you play by with me and how I do business, you don't like it, piss off, sue me? And the judge and I will see you back in court for wasting out time, while we laugh about it over drinks.

Get over yourself and grow up, learn how this works and quit being a girl about all this crap.

Dr. SVO phd

BTW, that will be $125 for consultation fees you can click the pay pal logo on the front page of my web site in my signiture below, thankyouverymuch

You can :q:q:q:q right off with your sad interpretation of what you think may have gone on. Seriously!

I did leave them voicemails but because you seem to think you are a f'n god you must have already known that. Well let me just take a moment here to make you realize your a jackass for trying to sum up me with having no clue what has taken place.

So I order the engine which they say had 66k from Ft. Meyers and told me initially there would be a $375 core charge but he lowered it to $250 without me asking. I mentioned to him the core may not be available, and he said well if that ends up being the case we'll take care of it. So I went ahead with the order and said delivery date for Friday the 7th.

I call this past Friday to make sure everything was ok and a different guy said the guy taking care of me is out till monday but everything is fine. I had him re-check the delivery date which he mumbled about and said Monday the 7th. I said which is it Monday or the 7th? Friday is the 7th not Monday. He said "oh you're right it's friday the 7th sorry." Ok thank you. Mind you up to this point I had been nice and the guy I placed the order with I had in hysterics about a few things.

So Monday came and I called to check with the guy I placed the order with because I needed to talk to him about the core. He said ok and then said it's out for delivery. I said it's supposed to be Friday the 7th not MONDAY! He looked and said OH it says Monday the 7th. I said look at your calender, Monday is not the 7th and I already went over this with your other guy on Friday. So they had to call the truck back and he had to get me off the phone....we never talked about the core yet.

So cut to today because Tuesday I had school all day for finals and did not have any time to talk to them. So I call today and he said they will not lower the core fee and there is nothing they can do about it. I asked about reimbursing me for fluids and labor if their engine is bad and they said they don't do that. I asked what happens if the motor is bad, he said they will give me my money back but the other part is my problem.

So that is when the downward spiral started.

Regardless of what you may think it is the customers that give them a job and ensure they have a paycheck. Apparently you don't get that concept!

Btw it isn't suing people for my own lack of knowledge, but go ahead and think what you want. Drinks with the judge HA! Probably because he wants dinner and dancing first if you catch my drift.....

Btw, thanks for your arrogance SVO I have something new to direct my aggression at when I'm in the gym.

Don't take it personal. Its a simple way to get the parts back, by giving the customer a financial incentive to send/bring the old part back.

My business is a good example of how the core charge system is needed. At the present time, I don't charge a core charge up front at the time of purchase. I simply VOID the warranty on the part if I don't get the part back within 30 days. I have always felt it made it easier for someone to buy the part, because it was less money to come up with initially. The only thing is, I only get approx. 40% of the cores back....which is the reason why I'm out of stock on the Mark VIII compressors most of the time.

In other words, no core charge is good for the customer, but bad for the business.

Btw, thanks for your arrogance SVO I have something new to direct my aggression at when I'm in the gym.

If I were you I would listen to what the Good DR. has to say... he actually know wtf he is doing when it comes to cars, and car related things... you on the other hand have proven that you do NOT.

Don't take it personal. Its a simple way to get the parts back, by giving the customer a financial incentive to send/bring the old part back.

My business is a good example of how the core charge system is needed. At the present time, I don't charge a core charge up front at the time of purchase. I simply VOID the warranty on the part if I don't get the part back within 30 days. I have always felt it made it easier for someone to buy the part, because it was less money to come up with initially. The only thing is, I only get approx. 40% of the cores back....which is the reason why I'm out of stock on the Mark VIII compressors most of the time.

In other words, no core charge is good for the customer, but bad for the business.

I hear ya, it was the whole concept of him saying if I couldn't get it he would take care of it. That was said a whole week prior, so now that it is a day before delivery day they change there tune, it creates a major issue.

I offered them the heads because Jamie still has the heads, but the block is gone. They said the want the whole thing or nothing. They wouldn't work with me. I asked nicely before I started getting fired up, if they would take $100 and the heads for the core charge and they said no. That's when I started getting pissed.

I'm not even going to get into the debate about warranty I had with them for about 30 minutes. It was insane, and quite frankly too much to type. It was nuts. I think I'll be using another yard.

I was pissed that SVO tried to make it seem like I was saying I would sue them, I merely said when I get my degree I will scrutinize their practices aka look for fraud or other illegal business practices since they want to play games.

Anyone that knows me knows I believe in true justice. If someone makes a mistake and tries to make good on it I will have the utmost patience with them. If they dodge responsibility and try to deceive...I get them for everything they have.

It's all a matter of honesty to me. A man is only as good as his word, so if they don't hold to their word they aren't a man, and I will not give them the respect I would give a fellow man.

I appreciate your two cents though and I do understand what you are saying. The difference is they are still making a profit, they don't recondition these things, and they won't budge at all. Just real bad customer service.

If I were you I would listen to what the Good DR. has to say... he actually know wtf he is doing when it comes to cars, and car related things... you on the other hand have proven that you do NOT.

Where in my post did I question his knowledge on cars? I respect his car knowledge, but I don't appreciate him thinking he can step in with his internet muscles and try to belittle me. In my opinion that was a sackless move, and I wasn't about to stand there and twiddle my thumbs while he beats his chest.

I never said I was an expert about cars, but I'm also not a retard with them. I didn't screw up my car because I was clueless, I screwed up because I used to much brute force, and then when I realized the cover was broken and chips were all over the head I took a hammer to it.

At least I can say I had the balls to post my ridiculousness. I knew I'd get teased about it, and that I'd be the blunt of the joke but in my opinion it comes with the territory of doing something stupid. How many other people can man up and admit doing such a stupid act so openly? I didn't mind because I know I'm not dumb, and figured it would maybe give people some well deserved laughs for all the help they tried to give while also heeding as a warning for future users that try the same thing.

I can just feel the love in this thread:lol:

The problem is that they are good on their word, they charge a core which you aren't happy about and they don't warranty the engine in a way that makes you happy...

Wow. Yes core charges are a common practice in the salvage parts business. Most salvage yards that ask for a core back are indeed selling them to rebuilders or if the core is really trashed they just sell it for scrap. That practice allows them to sell the part to you at a lower price than what they value it to be. Of course in any case if you don't have a core you will have to pay the fee. The delivery issue should not have happened I'll give you that one. Also LKQ is a very reputable company that takes many steps to make sure they are selling you a quality product. The odds of getting a bad part from them are slim. Any time you buy used you are rolling the dice though so of course there is only so much they are going give you if there is a problem.

All in all man you can get pissed at me or who ever all you want but you are wrong all over the place with this whole situation. YOU broke your car. YOU are expecting way too much from Jamie and are taking advantage of his kindness and his need to be done with your car. And you are asking the world from these parts places when the reality is you are buying a JUNK part. If you want a full every penny covered warranty have the damn car towed to a Lincoln dealership and pay them 6k or so to do the job and get the warranty it seems you expect.

It really seems ( at least from your posts) that you think the world owes you something and if you don't get it you are going to whine and cry (read sue) until you get your way. Grow up man. Really.

we use LKQ all the time. We have always had good luck with them. As far as I'm concerned they didn't get as big as they have by being shady and underhanded. Someone other than you would have caught on to them by now if they were.

unfortunatly customer service is a thing of the past. I have very little dealings with people/companies that give great customer service. Maybe im a little critical because i feel i provide above and beyond customer service to my customers. I dont believe any of the lkq yards i deal with charge a core, however with that said a core charge is not unheard of, though it does seem to be getting more and more scarce.

Members online

No members online now.
Back