then when I call you out for it you say I don't know anything

rinse and repeat

funny, really

and that's why you are a kid, you don't know anything, so you pretend you do

then when you can't for lack of knowlege you resort to this

then when I call you out for it you say I don't know anything

rinse and repeat

funny, really

like how you kept using the 'bored out' term to everything i said, thinking that somehow it would be funny

I'm done with you... you showed the world just how much of a tool you are and now nobody will take you seriously

my work here is done

About time... I was waiting for the
lock.gif
lol

Its not locked. Maybe for some it is and good. I personally think all that BS gets old and in general this place has alot of people that should grow up.

Plenty of people in Georgia have LS' and I'm sure if you came on here and asked one of them to meet you at a track they'd be more than happy to shut your stupid mouth up.

I was down there in November for the Southern Super Heavy Shootout at Atlanta Dragway. Be there again this November if they continue the event. Come look for me the first weekend of November, gearhead.

Oh yeah, I love this thread, too.

WOW... I'd been ignoring this thread? Look at everything I was missing out on!!!

Number one way to tell if someone knows anything basic about engine building... Do they talk about an over-bore as if it's a performance modification? If so, they don't know anything about engine building. I'll dive into this for those of you not "in the know".

Common sizes for over-boring and engine are usually .020 and .030 over factory size... SOME engines can handle .060, and an even greater few can handle .080. VAST majority of engines these days will be maxed out at .030, and the realistic safe over-bore will be .020. The reason for this is the water jackets surrounding the piston walls. Simply put, wall thickness has decreased due to advances in metallurgy brought on by the demand for less weight (MPG). SO, the primary thing to remember about over-boring an engine is it's life-span. If your late production 350 is shot and needs to be rebuilt, if you punch it .030 over... you've just skipped right to it's last life; once it dies, you'll be buying a new block. BUT, if you punch it .020, there is a chance you could build it again with a .040 (depending on year of casting; earlier castings can go up to .060). SO, what this amounts to is... over-boring is simply the method used to make your cylinders use-able again, and you should ALWAYS over-bore the least amount possible.

OKAY, THAT'S FINE AND ALL... BUT IT MAKES THE ENGINE BIGGER... AND EVERYONE KNOWS THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!

Not exactly... Take a good ol' Chevy 350... punch it .030 over... guess what you get. Five extra cubic inches of displacement. On an engine putting out 240 HP from the factory... all else being equal, you'd now be putting out 243.4... monumental gains huh? You could get more HP by adding a degree of timing. Okay, so we'll go straight performance... lets pretend at 350ci you've got 700 HP... (2hp/ci)... take it to 355ci and you get 710HP. Again... in the world of performance, 10 HP isn't much. Especially when you're subjecting the engine block to a decreased over-all life span.

In conclusion, anyone who lists an over-bore as if it's some kind of performance work (its one thing if they are listing cam specs, bore, stroke, displacement... actual engine specs) have no clue what they are talking about.

Now... everyone with a little knowledge knows... if you want your block to have more displacement, you don't start by boring it... you stroke it. In some cases (Aluminum blocks usually), you can have the engine bored and sleeved to give a substantial displacement increase (4.6L DOHC re-sleeved can be pushed to 5.0L; stroke it and you've got 5.2L on a factory block; some aftermarket blocks can go up to 5.3... all while keeping identical exterior dimensions to the 4.6)... but a simple over-bore is worthless performance wise.

nooo this thread can't be locked!

we have videos coming your way tonight.... then it can be locked :D

we are still set today at 12 right?

My fishin buddy got drunk last night, not pickin up his phone. He's got the shanties and auger so I won't be down today. I might be down later this week. I'll pm you and let ya know.

I saw a kid driving a conti on the way home from the car wash actually, thought about instigating, but just decided to wait for the video cameras to be around. :lol:

Its not locked. Maybe for some it is and good. I personally think all that BS gets old and in general this place has alot of people that should grow up.

You are correct Jason. There is a way to tell someone they are using improper data collection methods without getting into personal insults. That just makes everyone get defensive and not open to reasoning after that. It seems that people got too caught up in flaming this guy rather than just correcting him in his methods. As a person who also specializes in adult education (I am a jack of a few trades) I understand how critical it is to make your point, even sometimes in a strong manner, but without totally degrading the other individual in the conversation through blatant sarcasm and personal insults. It is apparent that Gearhead's methods are very wrong in getting good scientific data so how about those of us who are more knowledgeable on this stuff teach him why it is not accurate and how to do it in the proper way? Most people, regardless if they truly believe they are right anymore, will put up a shield when being verbally attacked by others. At that point in time no one will be able to reason with them. I suggest that those of you attacking this kid try to educate him rather than ostracize him. I am not saying no blame should be placed on him, but I hope you understand what my point is here. Just a few thoughts for you to ponder. You can take it or leave it.

Wow I wished I knew half of the stuff you know Nate. All I know is basically to keep my cars up to date. My Basic plan is to just know the basics, so I know if a mechanic is trying to screw around with me. Like changing the fuel filter for $100....yea its a five min job

So I guess you will have the video up by next week. Man only if I had an LS to to my collection, I could have this done in an hour...lol

Hey sorry to go to different topic. Do you still have your Mark VIII? Its great that you have been modifing the LS but wouldn't the Mark had been a better choice to do mods? Well good luck with your cars

I don't know that much... there's a world of knowledge I have yet to acquire!!!

Hey sorry to go to different topic. Do you still have your Mark VIII? Its great that you have been modifing the LS but wouldn't the Mark had been a better choice to do mods? Well good luck with your cars

Actually I have been working on convincing Jason to let me install a turbo in his Mark. Time will only tell if I am ever successful in that endeavor.

if you're providing the parts and labor, I'll go buy a mark for you to throw a turbo on!!

:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back