Cobra throttle body....

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Are there any cobra throttle bodies that will be a direct bolt on to a 97 Base Mark VIII with no modifications to make it fit? I want everything to hook up flawlessly with no alterations needed.... Is this a pipe dream, or is it possible?

I'm hoping to buy like an Accufab or BBK etc....

Honestly its not worth the money on a stock, or even slightly modified mark.

If you want to make a diference, spend that $300 on some gears and a trac lock.

True - the throttle body is the last thing you'd want to upgrade. The stock throttle body has 2 throttle plates with progressive timing between them. That is to say one opens before the other starts to.

Ok but are Cobra aftermarket throttle bodies like accufab & BBk a direct bolt on to our cars?

Speculation about gains aside, I'm trying to figure out if it's possible. I have reasoning behind this.

He wants to be bling bling, people! Damn the gains!

Since the Stock TB is a direct bolt-on to the Cobra Intake (flipped upside down), I don't see why a BBK wouldn't work. You'd just have to flip it 180 from a Cobra intake install.

The cobra tb has a different end for the cruise controll. That would have to be modified to work right.

I don't know the MM difference off hand, however, an engine is essentially nothing more than an air pump. The greater the amount of air that can enter, be processed, and exit the more power the engine would produce. Therefore, the addition of a larger inlet (TB) and a better flowing exhuast would lead to a slight power increase. Hence the reason all race cars use larger TB's and carbs. Now, that being said, there has to be more mods to get even more power, like cams (I say that so the flamers don't light up like a christmas tree)

So bottom line, yes it will work. The same principle as changing to the cobra intake, more air, better flow, more power

I don't know the MM difference off hand, however, an engine is essentially nothing more than an air pump. The greater the amount of air that can enter, be processed, and exit the more power the engine would produce. Therefore, the addition of a larger inlet (TB) and a better flowing exhuast would lead to a slight power increase. Hence the reason all race cars use larger TB's and carbs. Now, that being said, there has to be more mods to get even more power, like cams (I say that so the flamers don't light up like a christmas tree)

So bottom line, yes it will work. The same principle as changing to the cobra intake, more air, better flow, more power

Exactly! A TB/Plenum gives minimal gains....however down the road if I add a supercharger they give much better results. I'm not set on buying them at the moment I'm just trying to plan my build and figure out what I want to do at each stage.

Although bling is always an extra benefit, that's not what my intentions are by adding this.

Thanks for the responses guys.... :)

You could put a 1000000mm tb attached to your stock intake and you wouldn't see a gain... the limiting component isn't the tb...

Also if you go supercharged either:

A. You go to C heads for better blower options

B. Get a Kenne Belle B head blower and the stock intake is gone.

C. If you go Vortech you should really upgrade to a cobra unit for simplicity of install and flow.

True - the throttle body is the last thing you'd want to upgrade. The stock throttle body has 2 throttle plates with progressive timing between them. That is to say one opens before the other starts to.

Only on the Gen1's John. 2nd gens had direct Blades.

Mike

Which also highlights the point of the Gen2 TB's not being a restriction. Because if the 1st gen can walk all over the 2nd's like they do. It can't possibly be the TB. :p

You could put a 1000000mm tb attached to your stock intake and you wouldn't see a gain... the limiting component isn't the tb...

Also if you go supercharged either:

A. You go to C heads for better blower options

B. Get a Kenne Belle B head blower and the stock intake is gone.

C. If you go Vortech you should really upgrade to a cobra unit for simplicity of install and flow.

Completely untrune.. unfortunately i hacked my figure today doing an abs repair and its hard to type, but the amount of air available in, results int he amount of air processablre and the amount of air out.....like i said, its an air pump, the more in, thje more out. A larger tb allows more in, more processable, and the more out.....sure you won't see 35hp but youll find a gain on the dyno, no matte3 rwhat anyone here says. Its well worth the month and the bling factor

That is not true either.

Think of it this way. I take my F250 in to have a new 4" muffler installed, But am still running the 1.75" downpipes off of the manifolds. The muffler is NOT going to flow any extra air. Your intake/exahust systems are limited by the smallest crossection availible in the path of flow.

The VIII's Throttle body is'nt the restriction at stock to midrange power levels.

Mike

Yea, well....................................................F(CK, I got nothin. :D

The Common Rail 5.9 swap should help things though.

Only on the Gen1's John. 2nd gens had direct Blades.

Mike

LOL, I only know of the Gen1s, sorry. :p

Sure do... I've never like how EVERY gen 1 TB I've seen the blades opened only partially at WOT...

The throttle cable commonly gets stretched. Mine open 100%.

You remove the intake tube and have a helper mash the go pedal. If it doesn't open the throttle blades 100%, there's a wee bit of adjustment to be had. Otherwise it's time to replace the cable.

I've only dealt with beat to piss first gens lol...

Stang99x, you can believe anything you want... you might be wrong... but whatever...

LOL, that's why you went to a Gen2? :D

Back on topic...

The VIII's Throttle body is'nt the restriction at stock to midrange power levels.

I don't know what that power level is but I will say it's a lot more than most people think!

And it's not just about size, either. Flow dynamics is determined by a lot more than just by the 'size of the opening'. If you look at the difference of the intake tubes before the throttle body, you'll begin to understand. Then look at the airflow after the throttle body and I think most have to agree that the throttle body will not be the determining factor for our application.

I don't know about the Gen2s, but I have heard of this mod being a nightmare for driveability issues with a Gen1.

Stang99x, you can believe anything you want... you might be wrong... but whatever...

Its not believe in what I think or you think or joe the plumber thinks, its simple physics. Internal combustion works, as i said, like an air pump. The more cooler denser air that can be taken in, the greater the explosive potential of the fuel and the greater power produced. Stick a straw in your mouth, and breath through it and only it, and run a mile while doing so. Then remove the straw and run the same mile.....which one do you think you'll do faster?

Thats all fine and good...............BUT.

The 4.6 will only pull in X amount of air on it's own. At that level, the stock throttle body is NOT the restriction.

Lets translate what Mike said, back into your analogy, stang:

If KK can run a mile in 6 mins with his stock mouth... Will he run that same mile any faster with a bigger (transplanted) mouth?

Answer: No, because his mouth wasn't the ultimate restriction, his lungs were.

:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back