Centi or Kenne bell.

cobra mk8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
For the past years I’v obtained a Kenne bell and a intercooled vortech for my mark. I have done some research but still have not came to a decision on what to use. My car is a daily driver with a few track passes year. I have 4.10 gears. I’m not looking for a all-out 500hp car. Any thoughts or comments?

hahah Ya, I seem to accumulate parts but putting them in action sometimes does not happen.

Would say the Vortech would probably be your easiest deal to install and be your best bet.

Vortech would be easiest, but nothing is cooler than a screaming Kenne Bell under the hood. And imagine the low end torque with the KB ;)

Unless the KB is the intercooled version I personally would not bother with it and would suggest going with the Vortech. I had a new 1.7 kit ready to go in my previous MK8 and got rid of it since heat is a major issue in the ATL.

I guess my next question would be is do you plan on inter/aftercooling the Vortech setup?

-Scott

I have more questions for you.
The goal is ?hp, to the rear wheels?.
Are you keeping the 4:10 gears?
Which Kenne Bell and which Vortech.. and which cooler?
Any other mods to the motor/exhaust?

For a daily , PD blower would be way more fun then Centri blower . Trow C-heads on the car then do a Terminator conversion . it will be a very fun and torquey 400-450HP car . you will make more power with Terminator Eaton conversion then non intercooled B headed KB

actually KB's are MUCH quieter than an Centrifugal.

2.2 KB's are pretty loud ate WOT but my F1A is crazy loud at idle , here is my old car with 2.2 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJwxViap8N8

For a daily , PD blower would be way more fun then Centri blower . Trow C-heads on the car then do a Terminator conversion . it will be a very fun and torquey 400-450HP car . you will make more power with Terminator Eaton conversion then non intercooled B headed KB

2.2 KB's are pretty loud ate WOT but my F1A is crazy loud at idle , here is my old car with 2.2 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJwxViap8N8

OP has a hard time installing a bolt on kit, now you want him to add C head and a termi conversion? LOL Bolt on the vortech and be done. Also with vortech kinda easier to not blow tires off like PD.

The kenne bell is a 1.5 non innercooled. The vortech is a V1 with the water to air power cooler. I have headers and full exhaust. For HP goals...well the engine will be stock so nothing crazy, and i'm fine with that. I just want something fun and reliable. I do plan on keeping the 4.10s.

The kenne bell is a 1.5 non innercooled. The vortech is a V1 with the water to air power cooler. I have headers and full exhaust. For HP goals...well the engine will be stock so nothing crazy, and i'm fine with that. I just want something fun and reliable. I do plan on keeping the 4.10s.

You are full of...

contradictions. :p

Blower, stock and reliable do not go together.

I don't think there is room anywhere (without crazy modifications) for the Vortech air to water charge cooler.

The non-intercooled Kenne Bell blower is detonation waiting to happen on a stock engine.

Plain jane V1 with 4.10s should be fun and if the psi is kept low, it should be relatively reliable on a well maintained stock engine. ;)

V1 what is the question. S-trim you are good to go.. T-trim on a stock motor would be asking for trouble.
The cooler may fit but the AC links will have to moved for sure. And by fit I mean with a cobra intake. With the mark intake you would have to do some mods.

A Vortech S- Trim with meth injection will run the best on a stock engine. Its probably the easiest, fastest, cheapest, and the quietest. Mine is so quiet you would not know it was supercharged if I didnt tell you. But you do need a high stall, J-Mod, and gears with trac loc to maximize it. I'm pretty sure I have the fastest stock engine Mark VIII with a blower. Supercharged Lincoln Mark VIII Solo 11.66 at 120mph - YouTube

I have been looking at your set up quite a bit and like it alot. I got to ask, from idle to about 2000 RPM, do you see any boost at all or notice power? I'm sure that stall is the ticket.

A clutch is the ticket with a centrifugal. ;)

FWIW

The 01' cobra I built, is running a stock cammed 5.0 stroker, and a Procharger F1A . It drives like a stock street car below 3000 rpm.

Get into the gas pedal above 3k, and hold on for the ride of your life.

I just like the street manners of a centri charged street car.

Twin screws are WAY more fun on the street than a centri. That being said on a B head car you can make more power with a centri just cause you can intercool it. You wont be able to use any Vortech aftercooler though and will need a FMIC.

Now the 1.5 you have is a paper weight. That blower is only good for a few pounds of boost on the DOHC 4.6 before it becomes nothing but a heat pump. You need the 2.1 or 2.1 version.

So that being said and since you have those two options I would sell the KB and aftercooler and buy a FMIC and start hacking on the car to make it all fit.

As for sound, they sound different. A centri chirps at idle and whistles at full tilt. A postitive displacement blower is fairly silent at idle and whines at full tilt.

The Vortech S-trim is SUPER quiet in my opinion. It sounds like a whistling air leak at WOT and that's it. AND that's with choked exhaust on this thing. Once I get a stall and full exhaust on this thing I probably won't even be able to hear the blower. If you watch the SSHS11 vids on youtube in Mike Schultz car, you can only hear his blower when he is staging. Once he is WOT you can't hear the impeller hardly at all.

k9t8m, dude kb are noisy mafakkas compared to a Vortech. Lol

To answer another question, at LEAST a 3600 stall with a centri. They need rpms to boost plain and simple. The kb shines down low where the centri does not. Then again I have also heard the centri is better on top end. Pick your poison I guess. Remember an agggressive stall on a centri will help down low where it lacks and then you still get to keep your killer top end power. :D

The d1sc and f1 are completely different animals compared to a Vortech v2 or s trim.

LOUD is an understatement

My Mark VIII is way more fun on the street than the Cobra was. With the gears and the high stall it has extreme sink you in the seat power at any given time. And since I always run the M/T Street ET's it always hooks up and goes. No hesitation or flat spots. The transmission is always ready with the right gear on demand.

Members online

No members online now.
Back