Being forced to do a coil conversion :(

Trippen Out

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So today is a very sad day. I am being forced to convert my car over to coils. My question is can i only do half a conversion and keep half the air ride. or do i need to butcher the entire system? My fronts are the ones that need to be replaced. I rather replace with a new air bag. The least expensive "new" one i could find is 189. the person forcing me to switch wont pay that for one. however they are willing to pay several hundred to convert it to coils. go figure.

You do not butcher anything, just unplug and ziptie the airlines, and electrical leads up out of the way.

Thank you... lol

Trippen, everything has a plug and air might and will most likely be wanted back so don't go to cutting anything. I would hate to go to coils and right now I need a Gen 2 pass side strut. It holds up as long as it's 60 degrees in the garage or higher but any cooler than that and it will drop to slammed mode in 2 days. Now it's acting funny when I crank the car and it dips when the pump comes on. Pump is only a year old from Eddy. Jamie installed it for me when I picked the car up from him. If I put it in drive when the pump comes on and let it slow roll and pump the brakes off and on to make it bounce, it will rise from it's dip and not time out on me. $370+ shipping for a new strut just isn't in my budget right now so I know you're feeling.

to me that is butchering the air ride.

Understandable! We thought you were gonna cut something.

Ive been looking around. is it not possible to find the conversion kits that lower the car anymore?

No im not planning on cutting anything if i'm allowed to do the conversion myself. I'm also being told that i have to have a mechanic install them. It was the mechanics idea to switch them to coil. I dislike this mechanic this is the same guy that tells me that putting headers on my car and a new exhaust system will cause me to lose power on my car because it will change the back pressure. He is all for coils too. I just don't get it.

edit: nope guess they stopped making the lowering kits. and for good reasons too

You do not need a mechanic to do this conversion. It will take you all of 1.5 hrs to convert. The back is the easiest under 45 to do, and the front will take you about hr or less. And there is a thread on here that I beleive was from American Air that sales a 1.5 inch lowering conversion kit. Are you not mechanically skilled or are you being restricted by parents or what. I do not know what your situation is as you keep stating someone else in your writting, like your parents are paying for this and telling you that you are not allowed to do this yourself. Maybe you need to explain alittle better.

You do not need a mechanic to do this conversion. It will take you all of 1.5 hrs to convert. The back is the easiest under 45 to do, and the front will take you about hr or less. And there is a thread on here that I beleive was from American Air that sales a 1.5 inch lowering conversion kit. Are you not mechanically skilled or are you being restricted by parents or what. I do not know what your situation is as you keep stating someone else in your writting, like your parents are paying for this and telling you that you are not allowed to do this yourself. Maybe you need to explain alittle better.

pretty much thats what it is. my father. who hates my car and everything about it. is extremely pissed off that my air ride is down again. I am very capable of doing the conversion. ive had every single bag out of the car and back in already. not more then a couple a months ago i replaced the both rear air bags. ive also pulled out the front bags and slimed them (dont wanna hear it. it gave me an extra month of driving ) so its not like i dont understand how easy this conversion would be or how simple it is to get the stuff off the car.

I told him the e-bay prices for arnotts suncore and strutmaster for a the replacement airbag being 179-189$. then we got into an argument over the fact that when i convert the car to coils i dont ever have to worry about the air ride again but, i told him that the coils would be a temp thing until i can get the air ride the way i want it :) . sorry i love my air ride. Meh maybe ill coil the :q:q:q:qer and sell it and go after a gen 2.

we have a place called lincoln city who told him he could get a brand new non reman air bag for 200 bucks. i find that hard to beleive.

we have a place called lincoln city who told him he could get a brand new non reman air bag for 200 bucks. i find that hard to beleive.

I'd be going and checking that out if you only need one. Just make sure it's the right side you need. If something happens to a rear bag, me or someone else on here will hook you up with one for shipping. Try to keep the air if possible.

Ive been looking around. is it not possible to find the conversion kits that lower the car anymore?

No im not planning on cutting anything if i'm allowed to do the conversion myself. I'm also being told that i have to have a mechanic install them. It was the mechanics idea to switch them to coil. I dislike this mechanic this is the same guy that tells me that putting headers on my car and a new exhaust system will cause me to lose power on my car because it will change the back pressure. He is all for coils too. I just don't get it.

edit: nope guess they stopped making the lowering kits. and for good reasons too

So your mechanic sounds like he might be a DBag...

Looks like ive been spared. Im authorized to order the drivers side airbag. I called that place turns out it was called lincoln land. and they want 196 dollars and its not a new oem. after digging into the person who answered the phone i found out they are just reselling arnotts.

Thanks nolimit. I have a spare rear bag i kept as well. when one went bad i found a special on 2 rear air bags new for like 110 bucks shipped. so i took it.

Thanks Chuck, I am at work and could not waste time to search for it. I knew we just discussed this a couple of months ago for the lowered kit.

No prob, getting ready to leave for work soon...swingshift:D

Looks like ive been spared. Im authorized to order the drivers side airbag. I called that place turns out it was called lincoln land. and they want 196 dollars and its not a new oem. after digging into the person who answered the phone i found out they are just reselling arnotts.

Thanks nolimit. I have a spare rear bag i kept as well. when one went bad i found a special on 2 rear air bags new for like 110 bucks shipped. so i took it.

Be careful with the used Arnott. If it's an older one, you may be in the same situation again right after putting it on. New ones, well, the older versions were good for about a year or so and most would complain about something going wrong with one. If you do get it, ask if it comes with at least a 30 day warranty. That will give you time to make sure it's going to hold up. 10 days would be good if they'll do it.

Be careful with the used Arnott. If it's an older one, you may be in the same situation again right after putting it on. New ones, well, the older versions were good for about a year or so and most would complain about something going wrong with one. If you do get it, ask if it comes with at least a 30 day warranty. That will give you time to make sure it's going to hold up. 10 days would be good if they'll do it.

i bought a brand new one from arnotts directly.

spend $60 on junkyard v8 tbird/cougar parts, zip tie the air ride connectors and tubing out of the way and save up then switch back

omfg larry you should have never spent a dime at lincoln land, good luck with them. bunch of scum bags who dont know dick about lincolns, go figure. they told my buddy ed they could fix his neon on his 98, not only did they snap all the mounts off the right side of the neon, but in the end they told him they couldnt fix it, funny it took me 10 minutes with a glitch ballast, they also didnt know how to remove his door panel and pulled the panel off the car, the bolt under the arm rest was still bolted to the door with a huge hunk of the door panel backing still attached, the map light socket was smashed with the phillips screw still screwed into the door, and all the fingers on the back of the door panel were snapped off. we had to get him a new door panel, those guys are total ass holes over there they have a dealer on 60 in clearwater and a warehouse off hercules in clearwater. they have a bad rep as far as customers go, scum bags, you would have been better off just going to coils, the way i see it, a person in your finacial situation, owning a mark VIII, coils would have been the only option in my opinion, you have the worst car for someone in your shoes, the mark VIII is not a smart car when it comes to low money and keeping it in running shape, i wouldnt even be thinking about the air ride, spring it and be done. once you get on your feet, get rid of the car and buy another nicer more enjoyable mark.

oh, well i would say thank god, but arnott isnt much of an improvement!

i agree what everything you said. and trust me i know its not a car for someone who is tight on cash. but it wasnt like that when i started with the car. and it would be just as much of a burden to get rid of it and get into something else im going to hate. things will be changing soon. really the only problems ive had with the car was the air ride and that throttle body and the irmc. everything else has been taken care of. my only concern is the transmission and hoping i get the rest of the car sorted before i have to deal with that.

so after i install this air bag ill have 3 new bags on the car and one that appears (and lets hope that it is) in good shape. im not expecting long term out of these bags but if i can get 8-12 months out of em that should be long enough

I converted the front to coils last weekend. So far, I like it better, corners alot tighter and seems to ride good enough. Got the monroe kit off advance auto with a spend over $100 get 15% off and free shipping deal, cost $500 for the whole kit with tax shipped to my door.

Took 30min to get to the lower control arm bolt. Took about 5 hours hammering on the bolts. Eventually cut it out on one side. The back holds air fine so I haven't done the back yet.

500 through advance you could have bought from american air suspension or arnott for a coil kit and saved $150 bucks!

i got my arnotts replacement. had to "modify" it to make it work. i do not think i will buy from them again. on a positive note my air ride is feeling better then ever now that none of them are leaking.

i did notice while i was replacing it that i seriously need new bushings. there are like none on the upper section at all

Why do people keep buying from Arnott, and not AAS? I bought a Arnott bag for my first Mark and it lasted a little over a year and they wouldn't help me with a warranty, so I bougt from AAS. This new strut I got from them has been perfect. And he is a forum sponsor, so all the better. Glad you got your car fixed, but for cost savings and whatnot, springs ain't that bad, my black Mark was on springs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back