Be honest. Is the lincoln ls scene pretty much dead?

I know how you feel. I'm really itching for a new Charger. Thinking an RT Scat Pack, which will get the same mileage as my LS but will blow the LS clean off the road. On the other hand, a V6 with the 8 speed is supposed to run just as well as my V8 LS yet get the same mileage as a Corolla. Decisions decisions... if I go V6 I can use the extra spend to buy a Fiero, then put a 454LSX into the engine cradle. Hmm 600+HP in a 2600lb car...

While my wife's LS is getting fixed (some nimnode tried to share my wife's lane) we have a V6 Charger. In the very short time we've had it, I'm not impressed. I sure hate what passes for fabric these days. Looks good, but it's still a Chrysler product......

Compared to my LS I was impressed. Nothing wrong with that though. If we all liked the same things we'd all be driving black Ford Model A's. I don't actually have anything against the LS, it's just not the car for me. I fully respect that others do like their LS's . I wish I liked mine, but it's just not to be.

Well I haven't been here in a few years. I have an 04 V-6 with 41,000 miles on it, it's like new with not even a door ding. Now I have the coil problems and it's scary what I am hearing. It has been skipping for a while now but has only set the check eng lite once and then yesterday on the way back from Myrtle Beach the check eng lite blinked for about 15 sec and then nothing. It runs fine but will skip sometimes under any load. I hope it will be just the coils and plugs and not the pcm or cats.

My wife's 04 LS8 only has 54K on the od. But, if I get hit with a big dollar repair, I don't know if I'd take the chance on repair.

Shame. I just dumped a lot of $$ into new tires this past spring.

Since I also have it's twin, a 03 TBird with 22K, I'm looking at two potential wallet drainers.

After the hell I just went through to get an AC Control module for my TBird, all the joy of owning/driving these cars has been eliminated.

It's almost like "what's next?"

While my wife's LS is getting fixed (some nimnode tried to share my wife's lane) we have a V6 Charger. In the very short time we've had it, I'm not impressed. I sure hate what passes for fabric these days. Looks good, but it's still a Chrysler product......

That's why I'd only take it with an SXT with the plus package. Leather seats, front and rear are heated and heated steering wheel. I don't like their cloth seats.

was it ever really alive to begin with?

there are three main things people like to do to their cars...

keep their cars as factory and as fresh as possible, which is hard with a limiter production run and being a hard time finding a lot of parts...

then their is the looks crowd that is always going after the exterior, but with next to no options of parts to choose from, everybody's LS almost looks the same, next to no body parts/mods available and a weird wheel bolt pattern makes finding wheels that fit right AND look a real chore...

then their are the performance guys. and we all know where that's going... that was dead long before it started... few people went big (most blew their motors), every body did CIA, exhaust, and tune before running out of things to do... there are a few that claim that there is no problems building the LS up or swapping motors (but come on, anytime you can count how many times a motor have been swapped out on your hands definitely shows something) and really the smarter ones have moved on to something with real possibilities.

yeah, i'd say it's been dead for a little bit.

Pretty much fact.
Under the hood was a poor choice from the start.
But as any aging luxury car it gets dated and expensive to fix.
Saw one in my local pick and pull, saddened me just shook my head and continued my quest for aggressive intake cams and 32v c heads.
The b heads have almost ran their course c heads not to far behind with the new 5.0s taking over.

Whats a push rod engine again?

Nothing wrong with pushrod engines. Smaller package, less weight, less friction, better economy, less cost, only downside is less sexy. With the first two (package size and weight) you can design a larger displacement engine that weights the same, takes up less space and has the same power (with a flatter torque curve) as a smaller displacement DOHC.

Compared to my LS I was impressed. Nothing wrong with that though. If we all liked the same things we'd all be driving black Ford Model A's. I don't actually have anything against the LS, it's just not the car for me. I fully respect that others do like their LS's . I wish I liked mine, but it's just not to be.

The one thing that impresses me is no squeaks or rattles from a 25K+ mile rental car. Power is decent, MPG not so much, the seat is less than comfortable, the sound system is a joke, it's only a 5-speed and if you try to up-shift manually from 5th it just goes back into "D", why do I have to push the trunk release twice to open the trunk?..... Maybe if I had one much further up the trim chain. Then again, it's still a Chrysler and the last one I had wasn't so stellar......

lol, I'm not sure, you would have to ask somebody that just bought a new chevy!

Kinda funny...guy down the block has a fab five Daytona coupe kit with a 5.0 pushrod ford, hes switching to a ls1 because its alum. just shook my head with all the coyote engines in the junk yard for cheap.
To each there own I guess.

Just logged in here and noticed that there are 78 people viewing. It's five minutes to eleven at night.

Dead? I guess not.

KS

Just logged in here and noticed that there are 78 people viewing. It's five minutes to eleven at night.

Dead? I guess not.

KS

78 people is a lot? considering that there is 350 million people in this country alone... doesn't seem much deader than that...

well at 1:44am there is 35 people viewing vs a car site that is clearly not dead such as stangnet who has a few under 600 people or mustang forums who has 698 people online at the moment.

Gee---

Several times as many people on a forum that discusses, among other things, brand new performance cars? Apples to oranges? I believe so.

I'd have no problem with defining our little group into those who looked ONLY at the purchase price, have no ability to do their own 'fixing', and are now butt-hurt because put-off maintenance is causing some imminence to repairs---and those who have discovered that keeping up with the little fixes means that even with 150K+ on the clock the car runs right along.

I started on flatheads, have had 1K+ HP vehicles, and my '02 LS, bought new, is the very best combo of DD/race car I've ever run across.

KS

Kinda funny...guy down the block has a fab five Daytona coupe kit with a 5.0 pushrod ford, hes switching to a ls1 because its alum. just shook my head with all the coyote engines in the junk yard for cheap.

And how would a very wide and tall Coyote fit in a Daytona kit?

Pretty much fact.
Under the hood was a poor choice from the start.

In 2000, the LS 3.9 made 260 hp, 252 from 01-02, and 280 from 03-06. The 2000-2004 Mustang GT made 260hp with it's 4.6L (jumped to 300hp in 2005). That's a pretty respectable comparison IMO. Wasn't the 3.9/4.0 AJ V8 one of the top 10 engines of 2000? It makes pretty decent power for it's size. I think it's pretty comparable to many modern sedan engines, 15 years later, on everything besides fuel economy, which can be attributed to changes in technology.

I wouldn't say it was a bad choice, but I would say it wasn't enough for the 7 year run. Adding a supercharged 4.2L LS-R to the lineup would have made quite a run with 380hp.

fab five Daytona coupe kit

I'm not sure if "fab five" is a play on words noting the required fabrication, but I believe you're referring to the company called Factory Five, which offers several kit cars, including the Type 65 (Chelby Daytona coupe) on Mk4 Roadster (AC Cobra). I wouldn't mind owning one myself...

Apples to oranges? I believe so.

I am unsure how comparing a very alive car scene/platform to a pretty dead car scene/platform could be anything other than an apples to orange comparison?

In 2000, the LS 3.9 made 260 hp, 252 from 01-02, and 280 from 03-06. The 2000-2004 Mustang GT made 260hp with it's 4.6L (jumped to 300hp in 2005). That's a pretty respectable comparison IMO.

that same old tired SOHC motor also made 30ftlbs of torque from lighter smaller simpler heads that went into a lighter car, then you look at the other versions of mustang motors like the 4 valve made even more than that out of a very similar setup...

then ford deciding to be so high tech that they decided to add variable timing in the mid 2000s when other companies were doing it in the mid 90s... I'm just not that impressed.

Wasn't the 3.9/4.0 AJ V8 one of the top 10 engines of 2000?

yeah, but so was Ford's 5.4 SOHC Triton motor that is known for blowing spark plugs right out of the head, a nissan maxima motor, a v6 Northstar motor, and a toyota tundra motor...

now if ford/jag could have pulled off what honda did that year with 118 HP per liter and given us a 460 hp motor, then I dont think anybody would be complaining...

all in all, it just wasn't really a great year for awesome motors...

It makes pretty decent power for it's size. I think it's pretty comparable to many modern sedan engines, 15 years later, on everything besides fuel economy, which can be attributed to changes in technology.

except for all of those 15 year newer motors (we'll leave out all of the turbo motors cause that just wouldnt be fair...) make way more power, out of an even smaller motor, AND then add in the part where on top of more power, they get way better fuel economy...

it wasn't the best motor choice then, and it sure aint a great engine choice now...

, hes switching to a ls1 because its alum. just shook my head with all the coyote engines in the junk yard for cheap.

except for chevy LS motors are cheaper than coyote motors, they are a lot smaller, they are lighter, they are much simpler, and can be built up for a fraction of the cost...

its actually pretty easy to see why LS swaps are pretty much becoming the standard go to for fast... even the some of the import guys are wising up and going small block V8 instead of their torque less 4 banger...

True. All brand bagging aside, a low mileage Chevy LS engine with computer and wiring harness can be had from salvage for less than 2 grand, and the engines can be forced to 1200+HP. One of the car rags did just that, bought a 4.8L from salvage, did almost nothing to freshen it up, noted before the buildup that one of the cylinders had rust inside, and the slapped a huge turbo on it. They were able to get to 1200 crank HP before the ignition system, not a head gasket or connecting rod, failed.

I'm not sure if "fab five" is a play on words noting the required fabrication, but I believe you're referring to the company called Factory Five, which offers several kit cars, including the Type 65 (Chelby Daytona coupe) on Mk4 Roadster (AC Cobra). I wouldn't mind owning one myself...
Yep.....just my own term
He has the shelby coupe...hes free to stick whatever power plant he chooses.

And how would a very wide and tall Coyote fit in a Daytona kit?

Like this...
joeaengine.jpg

except for chevy LS motors are cheaper than coyote motors, they are a lot smaller, they are lighter, they are much simpler, and can be built up for a fraction of the cost...

its actually pretty easy to see why LS swaps are pretty much becoming the standard go to for fast... even the some of the import guys are wising up and going small block V8 instead of their torque less 4 banger...
Car-part quick search.

LS1,WITH AUTO TRANS,LIFTOUT 44,526 A D0523 $3650 Elite Motors, Inc. USA-MI(Detroit) E-mail 888-354-8366 / 313-945-5400

,5.0,AT,XLT 2,447 A AR0304 $3500 OK Auto Parts USA-MS(Richland) Request_Quote 1-800-748-7539 Request_Insurance_Quote

Same price...ford just has 42k fewer miles :p

No new ideas. Several of us have pushed the envelope with mods. When the modding stops, the excitement stops. Forum killer.

I think the LS may not be completely dead but sure is on the last leg of it's trip. But I look at the other Lincolns and the Cadillac forms here and there are more people on the LS forums than any others.

Members online

Back