At my wit's end! neutral safety switch

I took off the belt and started it. I was so happy it wasn't stuttering and skipping I left it alone after I took it off. Saw the tensioner bouncing when the belt was on with it running so I am gonna start with that and work my way to the damper.

I am just gonna start back over with no assumptions I feel like it could be even the idler pulley that was already on the salvage motor it might have been sitting around for a long while I will test all the pulleys.
The belt tensioner is fairly easy to mis-align. IIRC it "indexes" into a spot the timing cover.

It is also possible for the threads to strip out on the the timing cover where the tensioner bolts up.

A couple people on here have done that over the years.

Still start by removing the belt... and see if the damper is wobbling.

16268165954847661833424601128929.jpg

The only thing that looks out of order is this tentioner I am going to the auto parts store to replace it and swap my belt for a new one since this problem is wearing the sides of it prematurely. I don't know why it is misaligned but somewhere it is

The only thing that looks out of order is this tentioner I am going to the auto parts store to replace it and swap my belt for a new one since this problem is wearing the sides of it prematurely. I don't know why it is misaligned but somewhere it is
It's to hard to see with the naked eye what is going wrong I'm just going to replace the two parts I can't really tell but I broke that tentioner trying to force the belt on so I feel it's a good place to start

Update I installed everything correctly so big ups to me on that one! Turns out the motor I bought from Butler Auto salvage has a blown head gasket or perhaps a cracked head. I put some bars head gasket fix in it and it moved the leak from the combustion chamber to farther down the block and I'm still getting water in my oil so I give maybe it wasn't meant for me to own a lincoln LS!

Maybe I can find someone to take it off my hands it drives just not very well. Can probably trade it in on something else at least try to recover from the cost that I have incurred dealing with it.

Update I installed everything correctly so big ups to me on that one! Turns out the motor I bought from Butler Auto salvage has a blown head gasket or perhaps a cracked head. I put some bars head gasket fix in it and it moved the leak from the combustion chamber to farther down the block and I'm still getting water in my oil so I give maybe it wasn't meant for me to own a lincoln LS!
That sucks, but bars leak stuff causes more problems than it fixes, never use that stuff if you can help it, fix the leak correctly.

That sucks, but bars leak stuff causes more problems than it fixes, never use that stuff if you can help it, fix the leak correctly.
Yes it was sort of a last resort to get this car to hold together to get me to work and back honestly I have been screwed on this deal at every turn. I'm not going to put any more money in this thing so I took a shot and missed.

Obviously the seats are in rough shape... but if the rest of the interior is in decent shape... part the car out and get what you can... if you have the time

Same with the engine electronics and accessories... and body parts.

You may get $500 or more for whatever parts you sell. Especially if the factory wheels (and whatever tires) are in good shape. Then call a junkyard and send the shell to the crusher.

Scrap metal prices were pretty high the last time I checked.

That's probably sound advive
Obviously the seats are in rough shape... but if the rest of the interior is in decent shape... part the car out and get what you can... if you have the time

Same with the engine electronics and accessories... and body parts.

You may get $500 or more for whatever parts you sell. Especially if the factory wheels (and whatever tires) are in good shape. Then call a junkyard and send the shell to the crusher.

Scrap metal prices were pretty high the last time I checke

My bad phone issues. While that is sound advice I have to much invested in it to do that I haven't had it for that long I would much rather keep it and see what engine swap possiblity I have. I just saw someone put an LS motor in one of these so I know If could put a small block ford in it and continue to learn as I go

I was frustrated at the time I said I give up so I will find a windsor motor and a decent transmission to go behind it and see what I can come up with

I was frustrated at the time I said I give up so I will find a windsor motor and a decent transmission to go behind it and see what I can come up with
keep us posted if you do that, cuz I might want to go that route too if mine never blows up, and I think it's close, also I wouldn't mind having more power anyways cuz I'm used to 600 horsepower turbo diesel Super duty

I just saw someone put an LS motor in one of these so I know If could put a small block ford in it and continue to learn as I go

I assume you are talking Chevy LS 350. That was probably a stand alone system... and not integrated into the Lincoln electronics. This will create other issues.

A Ford 302 will fit... but again it requires modifications... and the electronics won't be "plug and play". A previous member went this route... and while he got it to run and drive... the money and time investment was excessive, and he had some issues with the rest of the electronics.

Same scenario with a newer Ford 5.0. Ford themselves tried it... and scrapped the idea due mainly to overheating issues.

I realize you are upside down on this car right now... but better to walk away now... than have it turn into a real "money pit" that is "quirky".

There was even a member on here... that put a Toyota or Lexus V8 in an LS. While life got in the way... and drew out the project over a couple years... I don't think he ever got to the point of being on the road.

I don't think you realize how many custom parts you are going to need... to do it properly.

Not trying to dissuade you... but trying to let you know what you will be walking into. It all depends on your experience level with working on cars.

I have time
keep us posted if you do that, cuz I might want to go that route too if mine never blows up, and I think it's close, also I wouldn't mind having more power anyways cuz I'm used to 600 horsepower turbo diesel Super duty
Yes I rented a 2020 F250, man that thing was sick gobs of fucking power so If get ya if you are not driving something with a healthy power to weight ratio it feels like a yugo.

I have time

Yes I rented a 2020 F250, man that thing was sick gobs of fucking power so If get ya if you are not driving something with a healthy power to weight ratio it feels like a yugo.
mine has even more power than the stock ones cuz I tuned it, it makes Camaros look slow, but Camaros are slow, LOL

This is the first car I have taken apart and put back together. Every body needs a hobby maybe I make this mine it sure as hell will keep me out of trouble if nothing else!

If I wasn't so averse to putting a Chevy motor in my blue ovel I would do an LS swap but I consider that brand treason.

I been putting lucas oil stabilizer into the crank case to circumvent the water can anyone give me a better suggestion on something that will keep me from spinning a main bearing. I thought maybe gear oil but I don't know enough about it to just try it but I am open to suggestions.

I don't know a 460 will fit into every year mustang as far as I know if you can do an LS a 460 or a 400cubic inch ford motor from the late 60's early 70's should work theoretically right?

Members online

No members online now.
Back