At my wit's end! neutral safety switch

Spclett

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought this car three months ago from a relative and since I bought it I have been under the hood more than I have been behind the wheel! It's a 2003 LS with the 3.0 V6.when I bought it it had one code that said the bank two cam timing was retarded but the car drove like crap so I bought a timing chain kit from Amazon.
Well they didn't send me the right kit and the cams chains were to long. When I drained the oil to do the timing chain kit I found metal in the oil so I went to a salvage yard and bought a used engine from them.long story short I put the engine in and I started it because I took the engine out from the top and left the transmission in place. But I was going to replace the transmission with one out of a 2000 jaguar type so about a week ago I took the transmission out well the deal on the other one fell through so I put the original trans back in now I can't get the car to start because of the shift linkage on this transmission I put it together just like I took it apart but now it won't start

Yes but I just fixed it. While the trans was out of the car I guess someone messed with the gear select in the side so it was in faith and I was think that was park.

But yes I just started it up now I have a miss so I have to buy new coils. I put the used ones back on the different used engine. It was fine initially but now it's idling ruff.

I still need a trans though.
I think your only choice is one from a 2nd gen (2003-2005) V6 LS. I think Jaguar switched to a different transmission for their 2nd gen?

They did, a zf eight speed I believe. On another note I am getting water under my coils in the valve cover valley on this engine after a rain is that normal?

They did, a zf eight speed I believe. On another note I am getting water under my coils in the valve cover valley on this engine after a rain is that normal?
There is (or there was) a foam seal under/around the passenger side wiper shaft that disintegrates over time. I don't know if they still have them, but Ford used to have replacement kits for $2 or so. Otherwise, you can try some stick-on foam weatherstripping from Home Depot or whatever. Check the driver's side too, but it seems to fail less often as it is made out of something more like rubber.
Also, be sure to put some dielectric grease on the outside of the coil boots where the outer sealing ring is, to help make a water tight seal there. (You need a little on the inside too, to seal against the spark plug.)

A new foam seal could be easily replicated from a proper sized piece of pipe insulation from a big box home store.

They also sell pipe insulation glue.

Cut to size and fit... put it around the wiper arm, and glue the split piece of foam back together.

Just use the original piece as a template.

There is (or there was) a foam seal under/around the passenger side wiper shaft that disintegrates over time. I don't know if they still have them, but Ford used to have replacement kits for $2 or so. Otherwise, you can try some stick-on foam weatherstripping from Home Depot or whatever. Check the driver's side too, but it seems to fail less often as it is made out of something more like rubber.
Also, be sure to put some dielectric grease on the outside of the coil boots where the outer sealing ring is, to help make a water tight seal there. (You need a little on the inside too, to seal against the spark plug.)
Thank you that would help cause I know that's not right but now I have a new issue. The transmission can't be lined up properly because when I shift into any gear even in neutral the engine bogs like it wants to stall

I don't want to take it off the jack stands and put a load on it cause that's gonna excaserbate whatever is not quite right

Thank you that would help cause I know that's not right but now I have a new issue. The transmission can't be lined up properly because when I shift into any gear even in neutral the engine bogs like it wants to stall
While your issue may be more mechanical, you can get similar results if the DTR is not correctly adjusted.

While your issue may be more mechanical, you can get similar results if the DTR is not correctly adjusted.
Mischa appreciated I think I have to do that anyway because it goes into reverse way to hard it almost feels like the drive shaft would drop when I go to reverse.I just assumed it needed a transmission and made plans to replace it.

Car is only three months into my ownership and honestly it's starting to feel like a money pit that I will never recoup my investment from!

They are really great driving cars, when everything is working correctly. If you have one that a lot of problems have collected on, you are right - you will never get your money out of it. They are now pretty hard to maintain, as a lot of the factory parts are no longer available, and a lot of the aftermarket parts are crap.

Yes I understand. But it seems I lucked out on the engine.I bought it from a local salvage yard for 265 dollars and it fired up first shot after changing the intake manifold gaskets.

For some strange reason the throttle body on the salvage motor was different than the one mine had bit maybe it was replaced by the donor motors owner before the donor car was totaled

Engines are usually not a problem. The suspension is where it gets difficult and expensive.

For some strange reason the throttle body on the salvage motor was different than the one mine had bit maybe it was replaced by the donor motors owner before the donor car was totaled
2003 was an odd year. They made some changes mid-year. Some of the 2003 throttle bodies were defective and had to be replaced. It was Ford's first year (and car) for ETC.

Yes it clunks when I go over bumps and since I have been under it I know the tie rod bushing and the swaybar bushings need replacement

Yes I figured it was something odd like that so I took my intake manifold off and used everything from my engine just to be on the safe side. But big props to this forum and youtube if it wasn't for those two resources I would still be hunting gremlins!

Even now other people say it's fine take it off the jack stands and take it around the block.I just don't feel it's as smooth as it was pre engine swap.

Yes it clunks when I go over bumps and since I have been under it I know the tie rod bushing and the swaybar bushings need replacement
Should have done the sway bar while the engine was out...
There's a lot more to it than you would think.

Even now other people say it's fine take it off the jack stands and take it around the block.I just don't feel it's as smooth as it was pre engine swap.
2003 was an odd year. They made some changes mid-year. Some of the 2003 throttle bodies were defective and had to be replaced. It was Ford's first year (and car) for ETC.
I also haven't bled the coolant system yet. I know that's important so I will take my time

Members online

No members online now.
Back