At my wit's end! neutral safety switch

Should have done the sway bar while the engine was out...
There's a lot more to it than you would think.
I wanted to but I was so frustrated that I went from doing a timing chain kit. And I started pricing engines I really wanted to put a v8 in the car but after a bit of research I gave it up

I wanted to but I was so frustrated that I went from doing a timing chain kit. And I started pricing engines I really wanted to put a v8 in the car but after a bit of research I gave it up
At the end of the day the 1500 it cost me would have been better spent on a better running car!

There are plenty here that can empathise with you. I feel the same way too often. When my 05 is running good it drives great and I feel blessed. Most of the time it's one thing or another. Still I feel pretty lucky when I read some of the posts here.

I mean I
There are plenty here that can empathise with you. I feel the same way too often. When my 05 is running good it drives great and I feel blessed. Most of the time it's one thing or another. Still I feel pretty lucky when I read some of the posts here.
I mean I need this car and it has given me a real sense if accomplishment doing it all myself.I just don't like having to replace everything on something I just bought

Thank you that would help cause I know that's not right but now I have a new issue. The transmission can't be lined up properly because when I shift into any gear even in neutral the engine bogs like it wants to stall

You may want to adjust the shifter cable first... then adjust the DTR as Joe suggested.

At the end of the day the 1500 it cost me would have been better spent on a better running car!
Most older LS's usually need a lot of work because the previous owner drove it into the ground...

or didn't maintain it properly and didn't want to have to put alot of money back into it.

The LS is not a cheap vehicle to maintain properly... because aftermarket parts don't hold up.

Most older LS's usually need a lot of work because the previous owner drove it into the ground...

or didn't maintain it properly and didn't want to have to put alot of money back into it.

The LS is not a cheap vehicle to maintain properly... because aftermarket parts don't hold up.
When I replaced this engine I did it from the top I caught hell lining up the motor mounts and I caught hell lining up the transmission. The belt I took off off my motor was somehow to small for this one. The salvage motor ran as smooth as a sowing machine until I put the serpentine belt on now it's running ruff and I just inspected the belt it's chewing the edges up prematurely so something is out of whack and it will take me a week or so to figure out what it is I have a mechanic coming out in wensday to check my work until then I'm leaving on the jack stands! Something just don't feel right I rather be safe than sorry

Maybe FOMCO changed more than the throttle body mid year. I have a bind somewhere but it all looks fine to the untrained eye but I can tell the transmission subframe is not in the same place it was with the other motor the bolts are not in the very center of the square of the mount that's the only visual clue I have that something it off.

I have pulled the transmission twice to reposition it. I don't see a reason to do it again unless I get a new transmission. It had shifting issues and the fluid was burnt when I drained it so yes you guys are totally right this car got no TLC.

If you bought this to flip... you bought the wrong vehicle.
I will cut my loss and sell it as is as long as it will run and make the test drive I don't see a point to burning money on a car I am upside down in especially if as I suspect it's going to continue to be a problem.

It's just not in good enough shape to warrant it's continued frustration.

16267258652864163572014221374081.jpg

16267259476788499030856071989224.jpg

There are paint marks on the flywheel and the torque converter. I missed a step here I believe I was supposed to have them in the same position but I thought that might be a v8 only thing so I just winged it.

But I can't say it's the motor because it continues to start right up I believe my abused transmission is the culprit

I may take the belt back off tomorrow to see if that smooths it out as that seems to be when the nightmare started.i had to order a belt that was longer than the two part numbers they sell for this year and clearly that still didn't solve what the serpentine problem might be.

If I turn on the air conditioner the stuttering get worse maybe it's a front cover difference but it all looked identical

If I turn on the air conditioner the stuttering get worse maybe it's a front cover difference but it all looked identical
What if you just turn the blower up to max with the AC off, maybe turn the headlights on too.

The salvage motor ran as smooth as a sowing machine until I put the serpentine belt on now it's running ruff and I just inspected the belt it's chewing the edges up prematurely so something is out of whack and it will take me a week or so to figure out what it is

Since 2003 was an odd year for the LS... take measurements of all the pulleys on the original engine... and compare to the engine you installed.

Also... certain years had issues with the crankshaft damper, (large pulley at the bottom). If the rubber is oozing out... or the pulley wobbles... that may be your belt issue. That fix may be as easy as swapping the pulley/damper.

The pulley on the belt tensioner migh be shot... or the tensioner might be bad too.

Double check all of your pulleys for alignment. Eyeballing the front side of the belt should give you an indication of a bad pulley

Since 2003 was an odd year for the LS... take measurements of all the pulleys on the original engine... and compare to the engine you installed.

Also... certain years had issues with the crankshaft damper, (large pulley at the bottom). If the rubber is oozing out... or the pulley wobbles... that may be your belt issue. That fix may be as easy as swapping the pulley/damper.
I just took the belt off and yes the engine stopped running bad. And upon inspection the belt is being rubbed up against something because the edges of both sides are fraying so I will as you said inspect the damper

The only thing from my original engine is the power steering the air-conditioning and the tentioner but maybe something is out of alignment I'm just glad the isn't a problem with my used engine

One thing has to go right, and if that's the engine I will take it. I will probably have to get a transmission but hey I knew that when I bought it

I guess when I started it up without the belt this morning I should have put it in gear to see if that fixed my binding issues with the transmission but I don't want to over heat the motor so I guess I will wait

The only thing from my original engine is the power steering the air-conditioning and the tentioner but maybe something is out of alignment I'm just glad the isn't a problem with my used engine

The belt tensioner is fairly easy to mis-align. IIRC it "indexes" into a spot the timing cover.

It is also possible for the threads to strip out on the the timing cover where the tensioner bolts up.

A couple people on here have done that over the years.

Still start by removing the belt... and see if the damper is wobbling.

The belt tensioner is fairly easy to mis-align. IIRC it "indexes" into a spot the timing cover.

It is also possible for the threads to strip out on the the timing cover where the tensioner bolts up.

A couple people on here have done that over the years.

Still start by removing the belt... and see if the damper is wobbling.
I took off the belt and started it. I was so happy it wasn't stuttering and skipping I left it alone after I took it off. Saw the tensioner bouncing when the belt was on with it running so I am gonna start with that and work my way to the damper.

Members online

No members online now.
Back