93-98 mark 8 brake upgrades??

well. all i was really worried about was the brake rotors. the wheels are lug-centric.
the mustang center bore is bigger than the mark viii center bore in the rear, so i need a way to center the rear rotor on the hub...

IMHO the commercially available polycarbonate hub centric rings that have a bevel are only useful for the wheels. You really need metal rings to center the rotors.

This issue is why I've always recommended the IRS Cobra rear hubs, but they have been priced out of reach by Ford in the last few years. :eek:

Also, be aware that there is a step on the hub, and the 63.4mm and 70.4mm dimensions that I posted earlier are for the portion that the wheel is on, the diameter where the rotor mounts is larger.

You'll need to measure the hub on the step closest to the mounting flange and also, obviously, the center bore of the rotor.

If you can't find anything, I'm sure that I could whip something up on the lathe for you.

IMHO the commercially available polycarbonate hub centric rings that have a bevel are only useful for the wheels. You really need metal rings to center the rotors.

agreed. looking for aluminium.

This issue is why I've always recommended the IRS Cobra rear hubs, but they have been priced out of reach by Ford in the last few years. :eek:

yep. figured that out! :rolleyes: oh well. i'm smart enough to figure this out and still come in under the price of those rear hubs. ;)

Also, be aware that there is a step on the hub, and the 63.4mm and 70.4mm dimensions that I posted earlier are for the portion that the wheel is on, the diameter where the rotor mounts is larger.

You'll need to measure the hub on the step closest to the mounting flange and also, obviously, the center bore of the rotor.

If you can't find anything, I'm sure that I could whip something up on the lathe for you.

i appreciate your help DLF. :) big step forward.
the hardest part is i don't have anything setting in front of me to measure. so i have to go by what i find on the web. sometimes not so accurate.
i'll pick up a rear rotor when i get my redrilled hubs back from saturn5 and i'll get the ring size all figured out.

I have almost all the parts needed for my 6 pot brembo and 14" fronts and 13" rear setup. Its all getting installed this winter. I just took the insurance off of it, and put it away in the garage actually.

Time for some fun.

Thats a shame Ed isn't doing it anymore, he is a great guy to deal with. He personally delivered them to me too, lol... I got to meet him and check out his Cougar (beautiful car!) :)

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134024

You may want to email him to see if he has any rings left though. (fastedn2001 AT yahoo DOT ca) as he likes to list it lol...

Doug, why did you never get into selling the brackets/rings?

So where do I go to buy a pair of the rear caliper brackets?

THIS article I wrote details both the hub swap and brake upgrades (yes, it's applicable to the Mark VIII). The required rear caliper relocation brackets are available HERE. The brackets pictured are a stainless steel set that I made for my '98 LSC.

I have a '98 Mark VIII LSC that has 112k miles on it. I am going to need to replace the OEM wheels because the wheels are starting to corrode. Is it possible to have the links above updated or the info sent to me? I'm wanting to go to 18 x 8 wheels and upgraded brakes but don't know where to start.

Members online

Back