93-98 mark 8 brake upgrades??

Are you guys wanting bling or stopping power? Why not just get better pads like hawk hps or a pad with a higher coefficient braking resistance. Larger rotors really only help dissipate heat better in repetitive braking like road coarse.

Are you guys wanting bling or stopping power? Why not just get better pads like hawk hps or a pad with a higher coefficient braking resistance. Larger rotors really only help dissipate heat better in repetitive braking like road coarse.

Stopping power. The stock brakes are a joke for a 2-ton car. Even worse, once you begin to up the perfomance. :eek:

Overworking the stock brakes is one of the reasons the stock MN12/FN10 front rotors warp frequently.

Larger rotors also provide for a greater amount of mechanical leverage.

There aren't any pads in the world that will make the stock single piston calipers work like 4-piston Brembos.

However, I will admit I painted my calipers red 'cause it looks good. ;)

HPIM0815s.jpg

HPIM0816s.jpg

There aren't any pads in the world that will make the stock single piston calipers work like 4-piston Brembos.

Yes there is a mechanical advantage, but there is NASA road racing teams that use 12 inch rotors. But I doubt everything being the same, same pad material and rotor diameter that you could feel the difference between 1 piston or 8 piston calipers, Its about piston area, add the area of all the pistons together in a fixed caliper and divide by 2 to equal the area of a single piston sliding caliper.

Yes there is a mechanical advantage, but there is NASA road racing teams that use 12 inch rotors. But I doubt everything being the same, same pad material and rotor diameter that you could feel the difference between 1 piston or 8 piston calipers, Its about piston area, add the area of all the pistons together in a fixed caliper and divide by 2 to equal the area of a single piston sliding caliper.

We're not talking about "everything being the same", we're talking about differences between the stock brakes, and upgraded calipers and larger rotors.

You asked if we were after "bling or stopping power", and then suggested that better pads would do the trick, and while I'm sure you can improve the performance over stock with better pads, you'll never reach the perfomance of upgraded calipers and larger rotors.

All three of my cars have Brembo calipers and 13" front rotors, and all three stop significantly better than they did with the stock brakes, with less component wear.

So DLF, how bada are the stock rear brake set up, i am thinking of just getting the rear rotors re-drilled to support the 4.5" bolt pattern, also a couple more questions, how is the hub on the rear held on, is that pressed, i took the 36mm nut off, but i don't want to screw anything up, now when i am buying new front calipers, what should i be all getting, when i buy a caliper, does it come with the mounting bracket?

So DLF, how bada are the stock rear brake set up, i am thinking of just getting the rear rotors re-drilled to support the 4.5" bolt pattern, also a couple more questions, how is the hub on the rear held on, is that pressed, i took the 36mm nut off, but i don't want to screw anything up, now when i am buying new front calipers, what should i be all getting, when i buy a caliper, does it come with the mounting bracket?

The hub is pressed into the bearing, which in turn is pressed into the knuckle. Once the hub is removed, you should replace the bearing, as it's difficult to remove the hub without damaging the bearing. You really need to take the knuckle to someone who understands the setup.

The front calipers have the bracket built in.

ok, so i was thinking of leaving the back brakes the same, just getting new rotors, then having the re-drilled to use the 4.5 bolt pattern, and then getting bigger brakes in the front

ok, so i was thinking of leaving the back brakes the same, just getting new rotors, then having the re-drilled to use the 4.5 bolt pattern, and then getting bigger brakes in the front

In addition to have the bolt pattern redrilled, you'll also need to have the center bore enlarged if you use the Cobra rear hubs. :confused:

In the long run, it'll probably be cheaper to just get Cobra rear rotors and the relocation brackets. ;)

Last edited:
ok, thanks dlf, you wouldn't happen to be one that makes that relocation bracket? i seen yours, looks very nice

Fast Ed makes them as DLF mentioned earlier in this post (Ed makes the rings too btw)
I agree, if your going the 4.5 pattern and are buying new rotors, just get the right ones to being with...

hub change

how are cobra brakes working with mark hubs? aren't they different bolt pattersn?

I am going through this right now.First I bought the 28 spline cobra irs hubs along with the rotors.The standoff brackets just arrived so I am preparing to build up a spare set of knuckles to make down time less.Oh and new bearings are a must as well.

gonna drag up an old thread instead of starting a new one.

hub swapped front, redrilled hub rear. going to to run mustang 11.65 rear rotors with stock calipers. i will need the relocation bracket, i can make that and stang rotors.

now, i found out that the center bore on the mustang is bigger than the mark so i need rings like DLF says here.

Redrilled rotors and hub-centric rings.

where do i get those?

Ed has the rings too
gonna drag up an old thread instead of starting a new one.

hub swapped front, redrilled hub rear. going to to run mustang 11.65 rear rotors with stock calipers. i will need the relocation bracket, i can make that and stang rotors.

now, i found out that the center bore on the mustang is bigger than the mark so i need rings like DLF says here.

where do i get those?

Fast Ed makes them as DLF mentioned earlier in this post (Ed makes the rings too btw)
I agree, if your going the 4.5 pattern and are buying new rotors, just get the right ones to being with...

Ed no longer sells the brake relocation brackets. I don't know if he still sells the rings. However, most people sell rings that have too large an inner diameter.

Which Mustang wheels are you using? Are you certain that 71mm is correct?

hmmm...
as usual, DLF has the knowledge.
time to find some parts and bust out the calipers.

Food for thought....

The hub centric rings may help the issue with the wheels, but they won't do anything about the brake rotors.

Members online

No members online now.
Back