5.4 swap

If I were the op I would go and grab a low mile Mark engine from a junkyard, swap it in a weekend and call it good.

That doesn't mean that the 5.4 is a better choice...

can you elaborat for me why your so against it?

dont want a pissing match just getting from both sides, to make my decision.

the way I see it. the 5.4 with the DOHC heads is basically the 4.6 with the SHM big boar stroker kit. plus a few extra pounds and a little more displacement.
yes it would take some work to get it in. but I'm okay with that.

what is it thats so bad about the 5.4? bad parts? problematic?

i think the biggest issues with the 5.4 is, about 100 extra lbs, added deck height, modified shock towers and uca mounts to get it to fit, getting everything to work. you gotta remember your in uncharted waters here

Lets look at it this way....

You buy a DOHC 4.6 from the wrecking yard, swap it into your car and are driving it a couple of days later.

You buy the DOHC 5.4 for the same price spend weeks to months swapping it and working all the bug out, modifying parts, buying parts, and in the end it will be a really tight fit, weigh the front of the car down... and might not make the car all that much faster.

If you instead took the extra time and money to do the 5.4 swap and you put some mods on the 4.6 I would be willing to bet the modded 4.6 would make the car faster more reliable and you would be driving it instead of looking at it all torn apart in the garage...

the second link is a thread on a mustang forum with pics of 5.4 DOHC in there mustangs and they made them fit perfictly so there must be a way to make it nice in a mark

Dont "assume" that because the mustang is a smaller car that the engine bay is also smaller.

if you doubt the size difference, walk over and look at the engine bay in a Cobra or a Mach 1.

First thing you should notice is that if you look down the drivers side of the engine.. you can actually SEE THE GROUND.

Then walk over and see how much ground you can see looking down in a mark 8 engine bay. there AINT NONE.. cept in the front of the motor.
There is NO side to side leeway..this engine bay is packed FULL.

SO.. just because IT FIT in a mustang doesn't automagically mean it's gonna fit the SAME in a mark 8.

With that said.
The 4.6 4V is demensionally the SAME as a 460 ford motor.
Same deck height, same width.. the only difference is the 4.6 4V is shorter by 3 inches when measured from "front to back".

SO.... if you look at the mark 8 engine bay again.. notice there is more than 3inches clearance in FRONT of the motor.

Meaning... you'd probably get a 460 ford BIG BLOCK in there easier than you would a 5.4 DOHC or 5.4 SOHC.

If you instead took the extra time and money to do the 5.4 swap and you put some mods on the 4.6 I would be willing to bet the modded 4.6 would make the car faster more reliable and you would be driving it instead of looking at it all torn apart in the garage...

+ a bazillion!!!!

according to a guys over on another forum my DOHC heads bolt directly on the SOHC 5.4 Block. all thats needed is the intake.

"some one" is not giving your accurate information.
"someone" is merely "parroting" what they have seen or heard on the INTARWEB.

there is ALOT more needed than "just" the intake.

the front covers are different.. WAY different. and there are about 100 associated parts that will be needed to perform such "butchery".

KustomizingKid is giving you FAR better information/suggestions that "someone else" on the internet is.

you'll go alot further with alot less headaches if you properly mod your 4.6 than you will with this adulturous 5.4 swap.
Many have attempted this, many of those cars wind up in scrap heaps... never to be heard from again.

These same people said the same things you are saying that "someone said" this would work, when it's obvious that simply isn't the case.

I also know of a local buy who did a 5.4 swap into his car and it ended up being slower lol....

I value the comments.like I said I wanted to here form both sides.

the car isnt going on the road any way this year but you guys have given me alot to think about.

thanks I'll let you know what I decide.

Same deck height, same width.. the only difference is the 4.6 4V is shorter by 3 inches when measured from "front to back".

How can the deck height be the same and the width be the same? The 4v heads have got to be way wider than the BBF heads...

How can the deck height be the same and the width be the same? The 4v heads have got to be way wider than the BBF heads...

Research is your friend... the demensions of both engines are readily available if you doubt what I say.

I didn't say the heads were the same size.. I said when measured from SIDE TO SIDE the engines are the same width
when measured from top to bottom they are the same size.
The 4.6 4V is 3 inches shorter when measured from front to rear.

XLRVIII, believe it or not, when someone questions you or doesn't agree, there are options other than taking a condescending and combative tone.

They're both 90* V8s, and have the same deck height, correct? If the head on one is wider and/or taller, it would make the engine wider. A 4v head is wider and taller than a pushrod head. I ask again, how can the deck height be the same and the width be the same? Unless you count "engine" as "shortblock," then sure, they're the same width.

someone on car domain has pics of his first gen mark with a triton v-10 in it, i know the motor is alot longer than the v-8, but is the v-10 wider? it looks like he had to modify both the fire wall and the radiator core support because of the length of the v-10, but its in there!

V10 has same bore and stroke as the 5.4

I guess it's basically a 5.4 with 2 extra cylinders at the front, so width should be the same.

If the 5.4 2 valve can fit a Mark, don't see why the 2 valve V10 can't.

No idea on the 3 valve versions though...

V10's don't make a nice noise. (IMO)

XLRVIII, believe it or not, when someone questions you or doesn't agree, there are options other than taking a condescending and combative tone.

Since you dont like my answers.. GO DO SOME F*CKING RESEARCH

As you said.. BELEIVE IT OR NOT.. it matters not to me.. I've already done the research and I dont have to spoon feed you information because you "doubt or dont understand" what I say.

4.6 DOHC 36X36X44 LARGER than ANY ford big block

Boss 420 34X30X30 smaller than the 4.6 dohc

429-460 34X27X30 smaller than the 4.6 dohc

427 SOHC 34X32X30 again smaller than the 4.6 dohc

measurements are LxWxH in INCHES without the carburetor

(tosses the baby food spoon on the table and walks away)

Since you dont like my answers.. GO DO SOME F*CKING RESEARCH

As you said.. BELEIVE IT OR NOT.. it matters not to me.. I've already done the research and I dont have to spoon feed you information because you "doubt or dont understand" what I say.

It's not that I don't like your answers, it's that you're either wrong, quoting from a source that's wrong... or you could be correct, but would just rather be indignant that someone questioned your mastery of the modern automobile than to answer the question. :rolleyes:

And BTW, this is a discussion board, not a TYPE IN CAPS AND SWEAR AT OTHER MEMBERS BOARD.

Lol... that aint Tommy's style.

You were his tag team partner against turborich, so tell me, what is his 'style?' (Although you conducted yourself in a more mature manner.)

4.6 DOHC 36X36X44 LARGER than ANY ford big block

Perhaps the style is to post incorrect information in the hope that a fellow user will look it up instead of taking it at face value. Here, let me try, XLRVIII, you should air your tires no higher than 55000 pascals of pressure.

Last edited:
We were against Turborich????

Turborich was the one that was flaming my post for no god damn reason...

Tommy... well he is just kind of a dick...

Members online

No members online now.
Back