5.4 swap

hotrod markVIII

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
got a 94 mark
in need of a new or rebuilt motor.
still holding together but with 240 000kms
and spraying a hundred shot every weekend in teh summer its only a matter of time before something goes POP.:D

I have a chance to get a brand new triton 5.4 long block for really cheap.
what can I reuse from the 4.6 and what will I need to get?
thanks

I can't remember the dimensions... but there is like .5" between heads and the frame in a Mark.

I've been told that with a modified 4.6 intake it will fit under a stock or smaller cowl hood.
that was in a Tbird. I've seend a couple of pics of the swap done some look really good. others are a real hack job

thanks for the links. I'm still waiting to find out if its a older SOHC or a DOHC or a newer 3 valve.
if its the SOHC then all probably forget about it. but A 4 or 3 valve would be sweet. would take some work but just might take a year of with the car to get it done correctly. will keep posted

thanks for the links. I'm still waiting to find out if its a older SOHC or a DOHC or a newer 3 valve.
if its the SOHC then all probably forget about it. but A 4 or 3 valve would be sweet. would take some work but just might take a year of with the car to get it done correctly. will keep posted

sounds cool if its a DOHC i would love to see it done. a twin turbo DOHC 5.4L with a 6 speed manual is my dream mark!

hells yeah. that would be like sex on four wheels.

just herd back from the guy and the engine is a 2 valve 5.4L

still a good price but that takes away from the cool factor quite a bit IMO

i have been reading a little more into the 5.4 DOHC's and according to a guy in the link below. if you use the intake that the guy used in the pic of the white mustang in the link in my last post the 5.4 DOHC would only be .75" taller the the 4.6 DOHC and it is only 1 5/8" wider. i think it could fit but it would be very tight. i was looking into doing this swap a couple mounths ago and people said it would not work. but it just may be time for me to revist the idea:)
also i have kooks headers does anyone know if they would bolt up to a 5.4 DOHC?

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1776377

Our weight distribution already sucks. Our front spindle sits too far back. Adding the weight of the 5.4 will only make it worse.

Marks are too long to be adding the weight. I think the cool factory is slim to none no matter what 5.4 you drop in, the 4.6 has alot of potential. Look up Sean Hyland.

Sean Hyland kit.

46ra.jpg

4.6L BIG BORE STROKER ROTATING ASSEMBLY
46SRA3V-3.700
This kit increases the 4.6l displacement to 322 cubic
inches (5.2L). Full rotating assembly kit for 4.6 engines
including Manley forged pistons and forged rods, forged
steel crankshaft 3.75 stroke, SHM moly piston rings,
Federal Mogul rod bearings, and Federal Mogul main
bearings.
Pistons available at 3.70 bore, with flat top, 11cc, 17cc,
23cc
$2395

Get a good set of heads and you'd be further ahead with half the weight.

all good points. I appretiate the input its what helps alot.
I was considering the SHM kit but at 2395 thats alot of coin. I can get the 5.4 for under 800 bucks. brand new in the crate, according to a guys over on another forum my DOHC heads bolt directly on the SOHC 5.4 Block. all thats needed is the intake. which apparently can be made pritty easy from a cobra intake. or a custom one made.

ok lets get a few things straight..............
first, its not the height of the intake that is the biggest prob, its the added DECK height (top of cyl) pushing the dohc heads farther out, that plus exhaust equals no room
second, stop comparing our eng bay to a mustang, 2 very differant cars, if your gonna compare it to something use a bird for example, seen any dohc 5.4 birds.....nope
third, as far as just bolting your dohc heads onto a sohc block, uhh they could work, just need alot of other components, front cover, not sure about the timing chains, have you ever timed one of these things PIA!!!!! quite a few specialty tools to line it all up
forth, i dont mean to come off like a ass, just trying to help you from getting into a never ending mess :D many have considered this swap all to learn it wont work out in the end

Yeah, our shock towers seem to be a lot more intrusive than those of the SN-95 Mustang.

hey all oppinions are are appreciated.
I do know that i would require a timing cover from a lincoln 5.4. and the chain guide's. setting the timing would be required weather I put in a 5.4 or had my 4.6 rebuilt. so that dosnt really make a difference
I have seen a DOHC 5.4 Tbird. it was tight and the shock towers had to be knotched. alot of work? well not really once you have the motor out.

but something I'd consider doing. call me crazy but hey not the first person to consider doing something crazy to a car.

keep the oppinions coming. both the positive and negative are helpfull

you would need a 5.4 dohc ft cover from a navi. id love to see it done, just be ready for alot of work
iron heavy too

ponies that seems like a really cool kit when i go to rebuild my moter i will def look into that road. i agree it seems that it would make more sense to dump the 5.4 idea and get the 5.2 kit. That being said if you get a good deal on a navi engine i would still go for it. the navi block is like 180 pounds i think. yes it is 100 more then the mark but i don't think it would be that big of a deal. also you could move the battery into the trunk that might halp a little. or hell if you have some serious cash i would get a gt40 block those are aluminium 5.4L and are only like 100 pounds but you would need real deep pockets to go that way still it would be badass.

Members online

No members online now.
Back