2 Piston Brake Upgrade

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at everybody's brake upgrade, and I've been thinking of doing it myself, but keeping the stock 16" wheels. Buying brake parts from a cobra, and I've seen a few on CL and eBay, the buyers want a lot of money for it. I've found everything to do the brake upgrade on the Autozone website except for the caliper brackets. That may be the only thing that has to be bought at the dealer. Reman calipers are $60 each with a core.
4.jpg

Brake lines are $15.00 each. What's all needed to accurately do this upgrade?
AUTOZONE LINK

they do not make caliper brackets to fit in 16" wheels
you would have to have brackets custom made
you can use the stock break lines if you want or you have to have
custom made ones also
so as for a parts list I cant help cause you need to decide if you want them
in 16 or 17 inch wheels

When you do the brake upgrade do you have to do the hub swap? And When you do the hub swap do you have to do the brake upgrade? Thinking about doing the hub swap real soon because I have some 18" Saleens that need to go on. I am waiting on them to be delivered so I was just curious about the brakes and the hubs!

hub swap not needed for brakes and if you do the hub swap break upgrade not needed

and for the rear if you do a hub swap and not just re-drill the stock hubs, you need to upgrade

When you do the brake upgrade do you have to do the hub swap? And When you do the hub swap do you have to do the brake upgrade? Thinking about doing the hub swap real soon because I have some 18" Saleens that need to go on. I am waiting on them to be delivered so I was just curious about the brakes and the hubs!

no you dont have to. You can buy cobra rotors and redrill them to the mark viii bolt pattern.

The reason for the hub swap is the brake upgrade. I have heard of people doing the hub swap just to get a more widely used bolt pattern, but most of the people here do it to upgrade the brakes.

My '96 has stock hubs and Cobra brakes and my '93 has the hub swap with the brake upgrades. You can do either or both, but the bigger brakes require 17" or bigger wheels.

correct, i have stock mark hubs as does bill, i bought cobra rotors and drilled them to the mark bolt pattern, i have twin piston cobra aluminum front calipers and stock rear varga calipers with a relocation bracket to move the caliper out further. if you go with cobra rotrs greg, you'll never put a 16 inch wheel on the car.

I've searched in the past about the jaguar brakes but could not find enuff info but might be something to look into. Search tccoa or maybe the sho forums for brake parts.

That is alot of good info. I am going to search for a list of parts to do the hub swap and brakes. I appreciate it you all!

I found this bracket on another car parts website, I see there are four holes in this bracket, and the oem caliper bracket has two. How would these mount on the Mark hub?
brake_caliper_bracket_front_oem_f3sz_2b292a_f3sz2b292a.jpg

the 4 holes i probably just so that bracket can be used for more than one car
and that bracket looks nothing like a stock one it doesn't look like it would work
with cobra calipers
why are you looking for brackets normally the calipers come with them
pic of factory

hub swap 065.jpg

the brackets that the cobra uses for the caliper will bolt to the mark front spindle, all you need are the cobra brackets and calipers.

And just so wveryone is on the same page, by bracket Jamie is not saying some extra part needed to bolt it up. The "bracket" is part of the calipers assembly when you buy them new.

Dont screw with a $60 reman unit. Thats $120 and then what Cobra calipers do you have for the core? None. Then you gotta find the bracket.

Cobra calipers show up on Ebay all the time for $300ish. They bolt right up, two 15mm bolts.

I've always thought well it does make sense. Only the tbird guy were buying the gt's. Their rotor are 10". Duh

This is a good FYI

CLICK HERE
thats what we did on the thundermark, and im lookin into the same because i need to be able to put the 16's on in winter
if you do the gt calipers you have to get the smaller mn12 non sc front rotors

the rotors are not much smaller (something like 1/4 maybe 1/2 inch smaller) but a much better caliper. just get non sc/sport rotors

not saying its not an upgrade just you have to remember that you
need the smaller rotors
I have the cobra brakes on my 97 and will be doing the gt brakes on the 95

not saying its not an upgrade just you have to remember that you
need the smaller rotors
I have the cobra brakes on my 97 and will be doing the gt brakes on the 95

im not saying you were. it did make a good difference on the thundermark, and with the 18's on my mark i can really see the lack of braking performance

Just screwing around the other day I noticed how bad the factory brakes were. Seemed like they had 2 good stops in them and I bairly got slowed down to make the next turn.

Just screwing around the other day I noticed how bad the factory brakes were. Seemed like they had 2 good stops in them and I bairly got slowed down to make the next turn.

yeah and thats on 16's, hang some heavy 18's out there and your happy you got those 2 good stops

Members online

No members online now.
Back