03-04 Cobra Motor Swap

falcon50

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 03-04 Cobra motor. Has anyone on the forum already done this swap?

I'm planning on Big Daddy Performance in Lakewood, NJ to do the work. But his experience is with 03-04 Cobra motor in a 96-98 Cobra so I'm trying to determine differences from that swap.

Clearance will be a big issue, read through that thread and you will have a really good idea of what is possible.

A lot depends on if you stay with an automatic or go with a (+05 TR3650) 5 or 6 speed. Everything else is just bolt in (with some shimming of the k member and engine mounts ) and wiring.

Much easier then. Need a 8 bolt flexplate and bolts. Converter of your choice, and a larger cooler.

My thought was to use the Kooks 3/4 length headers that fits a '98 Mark VIII, if that would work.

Yup, that will work... You can also use the stock cobra manifolds.

PM Elliott (wickedwhiteviii). He just installed an 04 Termi with a Vortech s/c and Kooks headers in his 98. I'm sure he can answer some of your questions.

With all do respect. You want the install done right. Get in touch witht he guy who did the install on the LOD site. He is on LVC too. He is M_Maker. That's what I would do if I had the money to do what you're doing.

Yes. Frame rail needs notched.

8 bolt flex plates are fun to locate as well.

There are a lot of people that have done this swap. Is it going in a gen 1 or 2?

Thanks for finding that Flex Plate and the info on notching the frame.
It will be a Gen II.
M_MAKER kindly offered to help with his experience.

There was a time they weren't Ebay easy.

Mind you this has been a few years since I needed one. No more autos for me.

You'd be surprised at what you can (or could) get for your money at a dismantler or through the network of auto recyclers, especially if you're buying multiple engines. Though the internet has screwed that up in more recent years, IMO.

Members online

No members online now.
Back