4.6 2V Swap Progress

2000lsv8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
FINALLY some progress. Took forever just to get these parts but at least it's a start :)
Eagle 4340 balanced forged crank and Eagle ESP H-beam rods
ARIAS forged pistons

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just a little confused. The mod motor is going where? And, are the parts shown going to be used in this transplant? (I may be the only one on this forum who's actually driven an LS with a 4.6/5.0 engine in it) PM me if I can add any info!

KS

the stroker kit is going in the 4.6 which in turn is going in my 2000 LS.
Performance Driven here in indianapolis is doing the build and install.

How do you intend to address the interference between the intake manifold and the hood? The McLaren prototypes used a custom-cast (from magnesium) intake manifold that was 'squashed' enough to gain the necessary clearance while still retaining the 'production' flow. The engines they used made use of Nikasil-process cylinder treatment and were said to make 420 HP.

KS

Is the 4.6 that much taller that it won't fit under the hood? I want to have a custom hood done eventually so if it doesn't fit I guess that will be the time to do it.
Or I could just run without a hood. (little joke there)
I should be well over 400 to the wheels with this build. I would love to See 450 N/A but only time will tell.

Hood Clearance Problems

I have the same hood clearance problem if I go to an Aston Martin intake manifold to get past the rigidity problem with the composite---Jaguar---one. I had hoped to find a carbon fibre 'blister' for the hood. Luckily for me, I can at least get the car running before facing the problem. I'm told that it's when going over ten pounds of boost that I'll have to pay attention.

KS

I'm staying N/A so I'm using a PI manifold. trick flow make an aluminum manifold for boost. but they are extremely proud of it. 800 bucks compared to 200 for the PI.
I'm told I would only get about 15 extra hp. so unless things change in the future I'll be a running the PI manifold.
as far as the height, I believe they are both the same. but I don't know how the 4.6 compares to the 3.9 in that regard.
thank you for the heads up. I will have to look into it..

If I were to have to buy an A-M intake from the dealer, it would cost about 5K. That's VERY unlikely, but I don't know just what the answer is at this point. I can have one fabricated for less. I'll do all the sorting-out with the Jag piece.

KS

I thought that other LS looked good with that LS1.

Dude I already told you once I fell in a fire and survived...come up with something more original.

I like this idea. Making a LS Lincoln should have. I've heard that stroking a 4.6 give little to no improvement unless you add forced induction ???

I've heard that too. The gain in displacement is not enough to notice a difference. However, I'm hoping to see the big gains from the increase in compression and air flow from the TSF heads.

it will be an interesting read on how they address the PCM match issue....

I'm very interested in this build. I might have to make a drive down your way when you get it up and running.

update

Dropped off the rear end parts at the shop today.
I told them once they have a bracket made that a few guys on here might be interested in one so to keep that in mind before they install it.
Also the machine shop has the block finished.
They're picking it up tomorrow and dropping off a NPI 4.6 head to be cleaned up. We were planning to use Trickflow heads but after more research it turns out the TFS heads are really only good with forced induction. So there's no reason to spend the money when i'm staying N/A with this build.
Brian has a flow bench and is experienced with porting so he's going to experiment with the stock heads and go from there.

I am interested in this build for sure.I keep thinking about buying an LS and slapping in a 4.6 3V in it.

This should be a real fun ride when all said and done.

block has to go back to machine shop to be honed again. not quite enough clearance in the four center cylinders.

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

We were planning to use Trickflow heads but after more research it turns out the TFS heads are really only good with forced induction. So there's no reason to spend the money when i'm staying N/A with this build.
Brian has a flow bench and is experienced with porting so he's going to experiment with the stock heads and go from there.
Where did you read that at? I know it is a carb build but this stock displacement looks like it made some good power.Don't know how the stock PI intake would do with them though.But than again some properly prepped PI heads can make some decent power.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/..._2_valve_46_l_ford_modular_engines/index.html

Have you taken any measurements to see how it will fit?

Only time will tell what we can get out of a NPI ported head.

I'll try to find some numbers for you. But in the mean time here are some things to consider about the power gains that trickflow got using their heads
1 compression is raised with 38cc chambers
2 they used their own TFS intake instead of the stock or even PI intake.
3 TFS Cams were used...not sure which ones though.

Not to say that the heads aren't a great design over Ford factory heads
Buy for the price they're asking it just isn't worth it for me when I already have a set of NPI heads to test on.

Also along those lines...consider NPI vs PI setup. The PI setup puts out more power...with the help of a redesigned, better flowing intake manifold and different cams. It just makes me wonder how much of the power is really coming from the design of the head itself.

Just my thoughts. Any input is welcome.

Members online

Back