What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

And your suggestion would be ? I have 2 kids that need to fit COMFORTABLY in the back...so we need an suv
and please keep in mind I'm not rich...I got my Mark for FREE and did all the work myself

her choice was the Black 02 Nis Xterra = yuck!!!

I owned a 03 Trailblazer I6 and it was awful, 16mpg on the interstate and 12mpg intown even with a full tune up and new rubber and more eletrical problems than i could count. I would really pass unless it was an SS.

Maybe thats what it was, i think they only put the Inline and the V8 in them. Either way it sucked and dont expect anything good to come from owning one...

I finished the front of mine to match the rear today. Used Duplicolor Trim Black paint. Covered very nicely and dried very fast. Im extremely happy with the results.

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

replaced the driverseat base and trim so now my seat goes FORWARD and back which it hasnt since i've owned it. i have the column to replace to but that has to wait. once that is done all the little problems are fixed. then i can start on the transmissioon in my mark7

well i got tired of seing the abs light flashing so i did sometime about and replace that clock spring it was fun and easy no more light yeah.

used lucas today not seafoam wow alot of smoke and i also found a broken vacuum line

Changed the oil and filter in both the '96 and '97 today. Put Slick50* in the '97. Gonna change tranny fluid and filter in both next weekend.

*Any of you guys use it? I swear by the stuff. I use it in every vehicle I own. Ever since a friend of mine drove his '77 Toyota Corolla 15 miles home with no oil pump and didn't even scratch a bearing. We took the pan down, pulled a couple of main caps off and not a bit of damage to the bearings or the crank journals. Amazing stuff.

Slick 50 is snake oil. I thought you were a mechanic?

There are about 50 other products on the market which make similar claims, many of them being just duplicate products under different names from the same company. The price for a pint or quart of these engine oil additives runs from a few dollars to more than $20. Do these products do any good? Not much. Do they do any harm. Sometimes.

What's in these miracle lubricants, anyway? If they're so wonderful, why don't car manufacturers recommend their usage? Why don't oil companies get into the additive business? Where are these studies mentioned by Petrolon (Slick 50)? Probably in the same file cabinet as the tobacco company studies proving the health benefits of smoking.

The basic ingredient is the same in most of these additives: 50 weight engine oil with standard additives. The magic ingredient in Slick 50, Liquid Ring, Matrix, QM1 and T-Plus from K-Mart is Polytetrafluoroethylene. Don't try to pronounce it: call it PTFE. But don't call it Teflon, which is what it is, because that is a registered trademark. Dupont, who invented Teflon, claims that "Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines." But what do they know? They haven't seen the secret studies done by Petrolon (Slick 50).

PTFE is a solid which is added to engine oil and coats the moving parts of the engine.

However, such solids seem even more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. After all, if it can build up under the pressures and friction exerted on a cylinder wall, then it stands to reason it should build up even better in places with low pressures and virtually no friction.

This conclusion seems to be borne out by tests on oil additives containing PTFE conducted by the NASA Lewis Research Center, which said in their report, "In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant" (Rau).
In defense of Slick 50, tests done on a Chevy 6 cylinder engine by the University of Utah Engineering Experiment Station found that after treatment with the PTFE additive the test engine's friction was reduced by 13.1 percent, the output horsepower increased from 5.3 percent to 8.1 percent, and fuel economy improved as well. Unfortunately, the same tests concluded that "There was a pressure drop across the oil filter resulting from possible clogging of small passageways." Oil analysis showed that iron contamination doubled after the treatment, indicating that engine wear increased (Rau).

the ptfe resins in slick 50 are too large to pass thru an oil filter.

you either need to cut open, gut and reweld the filter together.

OR use Poly-Dyn TX7

"There was a pressure drop across the oil filter resulting from possible clogging of small passageways." Oil analysis showed that iron contamination doubled after the treatment, indicating that engine wear increased (Rau).

case in point....slick 50 did make it thru the oil pump, but was trapped in the oil filter...causing increased wear.
the gutted filter would have prevented this

Installed my new/old door handle, lubed the window track, cleaned out all the old broken glass from inside the door then washed the car. :)

installed my nos ebay mark8 floormats. came inside and drank 1 adult bevarage to celebrate!

Washed a huge "hand size" blotch of bird poo off my driver door...so glad I waxed it yesterday

Almost got the dash out, thanks Lincoln for that wire bundle..:mad:

Pulled the back deck off, took out the center mount brake light (another PITA), took out the amp and holder, took off the fuel filler door.

Polished the upper intake down (up?) to 220 grit. Looking very good, can't wait to see it at 1000.

Yesterday, I removed my tore-up headliner and re-covered it. This morning I re-installed it. Since I'm broke and can't afford to send the car out to an upholstery shop, I did it myself. It actually turned out pretty good. I decided to be "different" and go with something other than just plain ol' grey. My wife and I went to the fabric section at Wal-Mart and she picked this pattern out. It's a starry night style. So when you look up at the ceiling, you see stars. Pretty cool.

mark viii headliner 3.jpg

mark viii headliner 2.jpg

mark viii headliner.jpg

Unfortunately, there's a very faint "line" where I had to splice two pieces together. Other than that, it turned out quite awesome.

And I still like Slick50.:D I've been using it in every vehicle I've owned for more than 20 years.

mark viii headliner 3.jpg

mark viii headliner 2.jpg

mark viii headliner.jpg

Wow!!!! Thats......................................................................................................................um diffrent.

Members online

Back