C.O.P. Conversion Started

94m5

Dmaup's Daddy
Reaction score
Well,

I've been saying I'm gonna do it for a long time, but I've commited myself now. I forgot how much of a pain it is to R&R the cam covers. I'm working on the harness soldering now.

Mike

100_2376.JPG

100_2378.JPG

100_2379.JPG

100_2381.JPG

100_2382.JPG

100_2384.JPG

100_2386.JPG

100_2388.JPG

100_2389.JPG

100_2390.JPG

Awwww.... you took the easy route. I swapped the entire engine to get COP valve covers! lol

Let me know if you have any questions. But I bet ya got it figured out, not too hard to do.

Awwww.... you took the easy route. I swapped the entire engine to get COP valve covers! lol

Let me know if you have any questions. But I bet ya got it figured out, not too hard to do.

PMing you now................

Thanks Kid! :D

These will be replaced soon, I just did'nt want to spend any more money than I had to. Assymbley Soldering is done, now all I need to do is go outside and connect everything to the car. I went with a bit different method of connection unity. Take a look at the diagrams and let me know what you think.

If I have a problem with voltage, I can always pull it apart and add a seperate voltage input. This was a much easier method.

Mike

100_2394.JPG

100_2395.JPG

100_2397.JPG

100_2398.JPG

100_2399.JPG

100_2400.JPG

100_2402.JPG

Soldering Diagram.JPG

That looks the same as I did pretty much. Trigger in on neg, loop positive to neg on the other side then out to shared positive so they are in series. Should work just fine!

That's exactly what I want to know too. Looks like the question got lost in the discussion :)

No REAL advantage performance wise.

I did however, notice a better feeling idle, and it SEEMS to have a smoother revv-up. Not to mention the engine LOOKS 10X better.

Allright

I'm bringing this to the top for Dieseldan. I have removed all the meaning less posts in here in an effort to get it back to the point.

I have to thank Unity for the wiring information, it REALLY helped me out.

Mike

copconvert.jpg

More pics soon right? I would like to see all cops on VC with the cover off and wire harness ran to them. Pics of what doing to stock coil plugs.
Just more pics!!

Jeez guys......That blue car does'nt even exist any more.

Well.......In various other cars maybe.

Here are the pics you requested "right on the mark". (taken the same day.)

Mike

100_2403.JPG

100_2404.JPG

100_2407.JPG

100_2406.jpg

Thanks, I have been thinking of doing this. But owning a LS I know all to well about COP failure. I'm sure the mk8's are not that bad though.

Thank you SO much Mike for the link. I just picked up a set of COP valve covers from M_Maker, they are actually the covers that Jamie took off his car. I have 1 harness that I have already lengthened the wires, I guess I oughta take a few pictures of it. I am buying the harness peices from Jamie as soon as he is freed up enough for me to come down and pick up the harness/coils. Haven't decided on a color for the valve covers yet...

I need to stare at these wiring diagrams some more, I'm not sure I understand your wiring diagram above... I figured I would add the above diagrams here for more information on the topic. On the harness that I have been playing with, I lengthened the 4 colored wires on the harness. Then there are the 4 wires that are all the same color code, I assumed they were a ground, but now I guess they are power? Also, I assume that this means that the system is still wired up as a waste spark system, basically 4 channels instead of 8? Is that correct? I'm pretty sure I am over complicating this, I am very good at wiring, just a little harder to wrap my brain around it without the car sitting right in front of me.

I had a long reply typed out, but then I came up with this... Is this the same as what you did? I just don't follow your 1 picture very well...

CoilWiring.jpg

Absolutely amazing work Mike. I envy your ambition to modify/perfect these cars...

I would love to see threads like these compiled in to a special Mark VIII tech section... instead of rooting thru 475,962 & 1/3 different threads...

It sure would help noobs too.

COP coversion, 5 speed conversion, cobra intake swap, hub/caliper swap, chickens dual compressor setup, sequential taillights... all good info that (I think) would do real well in a special compiled section. JMO

Definately cleans up the engine compartment, thats the only reason I'm doing it.

Yea that's a way of graphing it I suppose. The way this works out is,

You are applying power to the positive terminal of one cylinder's ignition coil, taking power from that same coil's negative and running it to the opposing cylinder's positive input. From there, you tie that coil's negative to the trigger wire back to the PCM.

When the PCM commands spark, it closes to ground and lights off both coils.

Mike.

Sooo... I separated the COP harness from the rest of the vehicle harness tonight. My thought on the COP is to run all 8 coils in parallel instead of the series. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, but the wirin is already there, I just have to pair up the cylinders and connect them to the 4 coil trigger wires. The only real pro I could think of is that I one coil becomes open, it would take out 2 cylinders, the way I plan on doing it would only lose 1 cylinder, per bad coil. It also seems like there will be the same amount of wiring using both of our methods... I have some pictures that I'll post as soon as I get home.

Members online

Back