what is the runing temp of a 06 lincoln ls 3.9l

jel930

LVC Member
Reaction score
is it normal for my ls to be running at a temp of 216 to 225. I think its to high but i relay don't know

it idles at 222

there is no way it can be that low my thermostat starts to open at 190 and is not fully open till 220

there is no way it can be that low my thermostat starts to open at 190 and is not fully open till 220

Well, then I guess you are okay and there's something wrong with both of mine.
Carry on...

220 to 240 is the range where old plastics and hoses pop. But yeah, don't believe us, that is the new norm around here. You should use a Dorman degas bottle on it when you get to it.

Listen to Joe. Joe knows best. It would be best you heed his words.

According to the Service Manual (http://deneau.info/ls/) you are correct; look into the section Engine/Engine Cooling. Unfortunately in the specs they don't show the engine's operating temperature, however, they do show how to measure proper thermostat operation. I have my 2005 LS for 10 years now, had the cooling system flushed and refilled with new coolant once (by the dealer) and have yet to have any issues with the degas bottle, hoses or any of the other plastic parts - so far so good.

Actually, the spec on the thermostat is:
Must not start to open before 187F
Must start to open by 194F
Must be fully open by 219F (Note: This does not mean that it can't be fully open by 200 F, although it usually will be more than that.)

The OBD2 coolant temperature is not measured at the thermostat. The thermostat may see a higher then the coolant sensor.
When the thermostat is fully open (or even 90% open) the engine is overheating already.

joegr you are right the car should be runing at 190-205.

found that the water pipe under the air manifold was braking up and going into the heads. ill post some Pictures if you want them

found that the water pipe under the air manifold was braking up and going into the heads. ill post some Pictures if you want them

That's a common failure, as in they all do that eventually.

I posted something similar except mine is a v6.It idles at 222 -225 but doesnt overheat.I also doubt that the thermostat sees higher temps than the coolant sensor because the coolant sensor in directly on the block.The thermostat however is in its individual housing away from the direct heat of the engine closer to the fan.At what temp do your fans turn on?

...At what temp do your fans turn on?

Why do you keep saying this. The LS (V6 or V8) has only one cooling fan.

The V8 is different from the V6. The thermostat is in a different location, as is the coolant temperature sensor (not to be confused with the head temperature sensor). Never the less, 222-225 is in fact overheating. You don't know how many fans the LS has, but you do know better what the operating temperature is?
Also, asking at what temperature the fan comes on is a silly question. It is a continuously variable speed fan. It runs most of the time (all of the time for gen I), it just varies as to what speed it is running.

Relax bro yes i know its only one fan sheesh ive been saying fans damn kill me for it..lol..but the reason i keep asking what temp are they suppose to turn on is because i have a gen 2 and the fan doesnt turn on till around 226.i know gen 1 is hydraulic there for yea something definently wrong if its that high while the fans on.

your fan should be on low when you turn the car on and speeds up at 180 and speeds up all the way to 225 where it should be on high

forgot if the ac is off the fan will not turn on till it gets worm

So I just got an OBD reader, and it says my coolant is around 220F at stop and go traffic.

190F @ speed.

I just replaced all my plastic parts 2 years ago...? No issues, but interesting i suppose.

Is there a way to verify and test that? or is it pretty much when it stops running full speed when car is overheating?

It is a 2004, I don't know of many who have had to replace the electric fan on genIIs.

It's unusual for the gen2 fan to have problems. Does it run at all? There should be a noticeable increase in fan speed when the A/C compressor engages. The computer may not call for full speed until much higher - over 230 - based on what I saw with my Gen1.

You can hot rod it. Cut the signal wire (black/white) and it'll run full speed any time the key is on.

I guess if you like the sound of a jet engine coming from under the hood.

then again, if the fan IS failing, then it still wont run at full speed.

I may simply need to gather more data, but mine seems to be around 230, plus or minus a couple degrees (measured via bluetooth obdII) after an hour long ride. Is this "coolant temp" in the torque app using the cylinder head temp sensor, or something else?
Anyway, it seems on the hot side from what's been described here. Not sure what it could be. It was a 90 degree humid day and the intake temp was well over 100, but this shouldn't matter. The fan did come on high for about a minute, but it was with the A/C on, and after running wot through first gear and then pulling into my office, essentially stopping (making space behind me so I don't get rear ended during the sharp turn). All other times wth a/c on, the fan is audible, but you have to listen closely to hear it. The fan is either off completely or on very slow in more mild conditions. I've air bled properly, and pressure tested to 15 psi with no drop over 30 minutes.

I only checked the temp because of the fan screaming. There was no other indication of anything wrong, and I wouldn't necessarily say the fan screaming was a bad thing or indicative of something wrong. The needle on the dash was exactly in the middle, maybe its ever so slightly lower than middle under more normal conditions?

I checked the wife's 06 Taurus for comparison and it got to a max of 220 on a much drier and cooler day, without A/C running. On average it was 200 to 210. 230 in the LS seems slightly hot, but also plausible. I have fairly high miles so maybe the water pump can't move the coolant as good as it used to, or extra stubborn air pocket stuck somewhere. Just guesses though. I have a ford degas tank waiting to go in when the current hasty dorman repair gives up, as well as a new aux pump and dccv. Sorry for the long stream of conscience.

Members online

No members online now.
Back