Double DIN Installation Proceedure w/front factory tweeters

I guess you miss my point, the wire harness at the trunk has both left and right wires, the 8 pin prevents you from running 2 audio signals in the rear or front....

This is simply not true. It's a mono amp. The wire harness in the trunk does not have left and right wires.

img002.jpgimg003.jpg

There are two speaker outputs of course since there are two subs back there. However, there is only one channel input, not two.
If you like, I can post the same for the front center amp.

img003.jpg

img002.jpg

no i do get what your saying. but the system was designed the same way as all high end systems should be. if your going to reconfigure your system that much outside of the norm. then you really shouldn't have a problem adding a wire to meet your needs. are you adding an amp for something other than a sub system back there?

yes, the reason those are selectable, is for totally different uses, one is a full range speaker set up (or high passed), the other is just a sub, there is really no preference here, just exactly what you are doing... your either setting up a sub system, or your not. then you make your setting based off of that.

that's only true if you are talking about a non sub woofer channel, freq has nothing to do with yielding some enhanced stereo effects, the actual recording having a different signal between left and right is the only thing that can have any kinda of stereo effects. (not going into DSPs.)

It will be a non OEM setup since I'm using an aftermarket HU, so the variety of output selections are there. I just run my sub wires and remote from the center console, under the carpet and to the rear trunk to feed the amp. There's no point in using OEM harness when it's not capable or limited.

so does this install include bluetooth and steering wheel controls? does the steering wheel phone button work?

so does this install include Bluetooth and steering wheel controls?
these are both dependent on what radio you buy, both are optional on radios, steering wheel controls require an optional adapter (OP used a ASWC)

does the steering wheel phone button work?
again depends on what radio you have, not all of them support phone butttons. with most steering wheel modules, you can program any button to do any of the buttons on the supported list.

we are completely looking at different wiring diagram here. the connectors are different
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...899049.-2207520000.1394592144.&type=3&theater

No. You posted the same diagram that I did. (Gen I vs Gen II, but the connector, connections, and amp are the same.)
It clearly shows one mono differential signal input to the amplifier. Like mine, it shows two speaker outputs from the amplifier, but also like mine, it shows only one audio input.
In both cases, pin 8 is the negative (ground) audio signal input, and pin 7 is the positive audio signal input. Pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 are outputs to the speakers. Please tell me what four pins you believe to be left and right audio inputs to the sub amp.

what is this, amature hour?

did you even look at those two diagrams before you posted that? with the exception of the actual connectors, they are 99% identical... every wire (hell even the same color wires)

It's "amateur", so many people here so full of themselves. One of the bad thing having an LS..

No. You posted the same diagram that I did. (Gen I vs Gen II, but the connector, connections, and amp are the same.)
It clearly shows one mono differential signal input to the amplifier. Like mine, it shows two speaker outputs from the amplifier, but also like mine, it shows only one audio input.
In both cases, pin 8 is the negative (ground) audio signal input, and pin 7 is the positive audio signal input. Pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 are outputs to the speakers. Please tell me what four pins you believe to be left and right audio inputs to the sub amp.

I have to re-check it, I got bad information from somewhere
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=58518

So joegr you are right, it's mono.

It's "amateur", so many people here so full of themselves. One of the bad thing having an LS..

At least we don't own honda civics or we would comparing the size of our fart cannons all day instead of technical details o_O

I have a 2000 LS with the tape deck/alpine system, subs, and center channels.

I've found that the 70-5519 actually does _not_ work for the sub/mids on my car.
The plug is too big, and the pins are offset further than they should be.

Anybody else run into this? Looks like some of the guys with mustangs and the mach460 stereo have had a similar issue--

Hoping to find the right shell to buy , or connector.

Anybody else run into this? Looks like some of the guys with mustangs and the mach460 stereo have had a similar issue--

the only problem i have with that harness, are sometimes (actually a lot) the pins are not pointing exactly straight. i need to take a pick tool (a key can work in a pinch) and bend them a little, then the harness slides right in and clicks locked.

I have never had a problem where the harness wasn't the right size... I can tell you that I've easily used that harness well over a hundred times, lincolns, f150s, explorers, escapes, mustangs, doesn't matter, always works after a little adjustment.

Thanks for the info, 1LoudLS.
I accidentally cross posted to a second thread on this problem, and you responded to that as well. Appreciated.

I ended up making it work but it wasn't clear which way the pins had to be bent. I took the red guide/lockplate off and used it to press into the metra kit and make the pins line up. It now inserts properly, but the pins are splayed out a bit. I took pictures, and will post on the other thread, which is here:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...nstall&p=2037359797&viewfull=1#post2037359797

the only problem i have with that harness, are sometimes (actually a lot) the pins are not pointing exactly straight. i need to take a pick tool (a key can work in a pinch) and bend them a little, then the harness slides right in and clicks locked.

I have never had a problem where the harness wasn't the right size... I can tell you that I've easily used that harness well over a hundred times, lincolns, f150s, explorers, escapes, mustangs, doesn't matter, always works after a little adjustment.

Hi!

After installing my new HU(fh-x700bt) the message center buttons are not illuminated.

I just plug the 16 pin and 8 pin connector , does the 20pin connector has the illumination wire ?
(speaker wires/acc/+12v const/gnd) (remote/sub+/sub-/drain wire) <-- Connected

The post on message #1 talks about orange wire but i really don't get it.

I dont have the pinout of 20pin connector.

regards!

Hi!

After installing my new HU(fh-x700bt) the message center buttons are not illuminated.

I just plug the 16 pin and 8 pin connector , does the 20pin connector has the illumination wire ?

I dont have the pinout of 20pin connector.

regards!

Did you remember to plug the button plug back in?????

does the 20pin connector has the illumination wire ?

no, none of the harnesses (for the radio) have an illumination wire in them, this is why the OP: said to tap the radio's illum wire in to a wire at the message centers harness (the wire that lights up the buttons fyi) the metra harness will have an illum wire in it (the orange wire the OP was referencing ) but it does not function in the LS. however, none of this really matters as the x700 does not have an illumination input wire, so there is nothing to run anywhere.

so then i would check to make sure that you did plug in the harness for them... if you did, I hope you didn't tap any wires into that wire in the message center harness like the OP did... (not because he did it wrong, but because your radio doesn't have that wire)

Did you remember to plug the button plug back in?????

Sure ,The buttons works good .

no, none of the harnesses (for the radio) have an illumination wire in them, this is why the OP: said to tap the radio's illum wire in to a wire at the message centers harness (the wire that lights up the buttons fyi) the metra harness will have an illum wire in it (the orange wire the OP was referencing ) but it does not function in the LS. however, none of this really matters as the x700 does not have an illumination input wire, so there is nothing to run anywhere.

so then i would check to make sure that you did plug in the harness for them... if you did, I hope you didn't tap any wires into that wire in the message center harness like the OP did... (not because he did it wrong, but because your radio doesn't have that wire)

Thats right , my Hu does not have an illumination wire and I didn't tap any wire , just plugged in as described.

I'll try measuring voltage at pin , maybe the lamp died.

After measuring , voltage ok , then i opened the msg center button case and the lamp filament was broken.
ty again.

regards!

msg center switch.JPG

Last edited:
Hi!

Sharing an old video , the central speaker improve the sound but it could be better with an active summing pre-amp.
I did with a passive, just a pair of resistors.

*I teardown the central console amp , it's mono, i was looking for an option to connect both signals L+R.
[video=youtube;629P9FpD9FU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=629P9FpD9FU[/video]

thank you!

Well I've went through this entire thread and have been searching. Cannot find any advice or instruction on how to install a double din in a genII that actually works.

The instruction given via my headunit manual (pioneer avh 1700xs) advises to connect the long light green parking brake detect wire to the actual live positive parking brake wire. I can't seem to distinguish which of the 7 wires that come from the electronic parking brake harness is the positive feed wire. There's a Black/Blue, Brown/Blue, Blue/White, Black/Orange, Grey/Purple, White/Blue, White/Green.

I can live without bypassing the parking brake issue and actually having to be parked to watch a movie... but I'm ungodly pissed off that I can't even install this unit to do even that. Any help from a genII owner would be much appreciated. Thanks

Well I've went through this entire thread and have been searching. Cannot find any advice or instruction on how to install a double din in a genII that actually works.

The instruction given via my headunit manual (pioneer avh 1700xs) advises to connect the long light green parking brake detect wire to the actual live positive parking brake wire. I can't seem to distinguish which of the 7 wires that come from the electronic parking brake harness is the positive feed wire. There's a Black/Blue, Brown/Blue, Blue/White, Black/Orange, Grey/Purple, White/Blue, White/Green.

I can live without bypassing the parking brake issue and actually having to be parked to watch a movie... but I'm ungodly pissed off that I can't even install this unit to do even that. Any help from a genII owner would be much appreciated. Thanks

Again. The gen II Electronic parking brake does not provide any on/off signal that you can use to see if the parking brake is on or off. If you tap into any of the wires going to the parking brake apply/release switch, not only will that not work, but you will likely get a "service parking brake" warning and may stop your parking brake from working correctly.

The whole point of the "bypass" is to not connect the headunit to a parking brake signal. Instead, you connect it to the bypass so that the unit thinks the parking brake is always set. On JVC, you only need to ground the wire from the headunit to accomplish this. I believe that the Pioneer is a little smarter, so you need to do more than that. Your bypass should have come with instructions to explain what to do.

Again. The gen II Electronic parking brake does not provide any on/off signal that you can use to see if the parking brake is on or off. If you tap into any of the wires going to the parking brake apply/release switch, not only will that not work, but you will likely get a "service parking brake" warning and may stop your parking brake from working correctly.

The whole point of the "bypass" is to not connect the headunit to a parking brake signal. Instead, you connect it to the bypass so that the unit thinks the parking brake is always set. On JVC, you only need to ground the wire from the headunit to accomplish this. I believe that the Pioneer is a little smarter, so you need to do more than that. Your bypass should have come with instructions to explain what to do.

It did come with instructions. They were so simple that I actually complicated them to where they made no sense.

I got it all figured out and working properly now. I'll finish the install tomorrow morning when my wife goes to her moms.

Thanks Joe for the help and for your unfathomable amount of patience with dumbass people like me haha.

Speaker Wire install

I do not have rear deck mounted speakers and I have a aftermarket Double DIN unit and I want to install speakers in the rear deck the holes are already there for the speakers to be mounted. Whats the best way to run the speaker wire from the HU to the rear deck for speakers as the car didnt have speakers already mounted there?

There are channels for wiring from the front of the car to the back, just under the carpet on each side. Just pull the sill/scuff plates off on one side or the other.

There are channels for wiring from the front of the car to the back, just under the carpet on each side. Just pull the sill/scuff plates off on one side or the other.

Alright I will look into that, do I need to pull up the carpet in the back seat or, is it that all the wiring is right at the scuff plate at the door opening Im a little confused. ? I would just hate paying someone to do it if its a simple task I have replaced all the factory speakers myself so not afraid to look around. THANKS !!

After you pull the plates, you lift the carpet a little. You may also need to remove the kick panels to route the wires. The rear seat bottom is easy to remove.

Members online

No members online now.
Back