What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

I just ordered 5 rolls from Auto Barn, 4.99 per roll. Same price at O'Rilley but shipping was much more. I sand and polish the outside of the lense before I take them apart. Easier to polish when I put it the vise, just need a touch up when put back together.

Definitely want to see how yours come out! I think if I could do them again, I could make them look much better. I didn't get smooth sets in the back and I sort of figured out how to do it by the time I was on the second lens.

I was at the dealership I deal with for all my older cars and the owner got roped into putting a set of headlights in a new Nissan. The old ones got all dulled like a set of 1st gen Mark lights. Well when the guy got the new ones he ordered a Jip set so they were Halogen instead of the HID.

So the owner had my friend put his HID stuff into the Halogen housings. I wanted to get my hands on the new stuff he took out to retrofit into Gen1 or Gen2 housings if needed :confused:
Unfortunatelyhe took the shot housings and the new lenses home :(

L2.jpgL1.jpg

L2.jpg

L1.jpg

CAM00382.jpg

Here are my final results after I sealed them then wet sanded and buffed them. There is a glare because how bright the flash is reflecting off the tape (guess that's a good thing!). I took this picture from about 5 feet away, I just cropped it because I have crap all over my table from working on them lol.

CAM00382.jpg

View attachment 828464715

Here are my final results after I sealed them then wet sanded and buffed them. There is a glare because how bright the flash is reflecting off the tape (guess that's a good thing!). I took this picture from about 5 feet away, I just cropped it because I have crap all over my table from working on them lol.

You do some fine work, good job.

You do some fine work, good job.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. If I ever run across another set of destroyed lenses (this is my first ever attempt) I think I can do a much better job and I'll try again.

My only fear now is how these react to heat. Once I order my HID adapters from Jay soon, I'll throw these in the car and see what happens. Hopefully it won't be 10 hours of wasted time, lol.

The ones on my 95 were done with chrome brite for about a year and were still good inside when I sold them and bought new. I think you'll be fine with what you done. They turned out nice, especially considering what they did look like.

Just passed a new law here in CT. If you don't remove the snow from your car, could get you a ticket for $75--$150. Could be higher if your snow/ice hits another car.

Chrome Brite is the only tape I found that states high temp. Did my 95 some time ago, and still looks great. I did install 8000K HID'S. Did my 98 and after being covered in the heat and sun it crinckled. Got cold weather and it got flat and looks great once again.

That there is one fine soundin' automobile.

Thanks! :) I love it. It sounds like a classic muscle car. And there's not too much drone inside either. I did another 0-60 run last night with my CT Speedometer Systems Pro app and got 5.9 seconds. It consistently does it in under six seconds! This is one fast car! I haven't done a 1/4 mile run yet but hopefully I'll be able to do one this weekend. My dad wants to try it with the Cougar. He seems to think it will be faster than the Mark :rolleyes: I think not! :D

Darn jaw injury keeping me home from work, so I'll sit and sand out my headlights instead.

BD9693B2-0B9D-4963-8A35-E4CC018ACFBE.jpg

and also, here is my 9006 HID bulbs installed with my DIY adapters.

9527D179-9618-4EAD-A71A-CF019FAE2BF3.jpg

Wow, Dreamy, That looks real good! I have to do the same thing on my Black 97's Trunk lid, bumpers, headlight trim too. What product spray did you use?

Duplicolor from Autozone. They have Toreador Red and Dark Toreador Red, and even a matching touch up pen. Then Duplicolor clear coat. Sand off only what you really need to of original paint, but evenly. The base color of the plastic is black, it seems, and hard to conceal once you sand that deep without a primer. Be sure to paint in light coats with complete coverage. It WILL run easily if you get it too thick. Once dry, buff with a clean cloth or equivalent between coats to make it look more shiny. It takes away the tiny "Fuzz" texture a spray can leave. I painted my mirrors and front bumper in about 2 hours, with tape, cardboard, and patience for the wind to settle before spraying. 1 full can per bumper. :cool:

Changed spark plugs on my other Mark VIII, was going to do my dads but got to cold outside.

Took the 98 on its first road trip. Just Houston to Dallas and back. It ran perfectly. I did notice a few things though. When you get up to speed, after about 5 minutes the "check air ride" warning comes on, however there never seems to be a noticeable change in shock height. Rear shocks are new. Only happens once per engine start. Secondly, while I am well aware of the "door ajar" issue and have fixed it on my other car many times, I wonder if there is ever a problem with the car never thinking the doors are open? I noticed my "ding" never happens when I leave the headlights on, or the key in, and the message center and radio never turns off when I shut the engine off and exit the car. On a hunch I opened the door while driving... no "door ajar" message at all. Did a previous owner figure out how to kill the door ajar by unplugging something instead of just wd-40? Or does this issue go both ways? I might hit it with wd40 tomorrow to see what happens...

Sorry, this just hit me as very funny based on your location. Not meaning to be an a$$, it just cracked me up.

What can I say, we are accustom to warm weather. when it dips Down to 50 or below, it is freezing for us.

Took the 98 on its first road trip. Just Houston to Dallas and back. It ran perfectly. I did notice a few things though. When you get up to speed, after about 5 minutes the "check air ride" warning comes on, however there never seems to be a noticeable change in shock height. Rear shocks are new. Only happens once per engine start.

Might be a ride height sensor or possibly a connection with what you said below.

Secondly, while I am well aware of the "door ajar" issue and have fixed it on my other car many times, I wonder if there is ever a problem with the car never thinking the doors are open? I noticed my "ding" never happens when I leave the headlights on, or the key in, and the message center and radio never turns off when I shut the engine off and exit the car. On a hunch I opened the door while driving... no "door ajar" message at all. Did a previous owner figure out how to kill the door ajar by unplugging something instead of just wd-40? Or does this issue go both ways? I might hit it with wd40 tomorrow to see what happens...

These seem to be a typically ware item on Marks, I know I have to do them on mine. They are the door sensors on the front part of the door jam. The "door ajar" is the sensor on the lock mechanism inside of the door. Fix that first then look into your air ride.

DoorJambSwitch-1.jpg

Write up HERE

Go to Rock auto and order one there or your local O'reilly has them

DoorJambSwitch-1.jpg

Thats OK I'll be installing a Blender Door Motor today....:(

I feel for ya. I'd rather do the oil filter adapter than the blend door any day. I'm going to get under it tomorrow and see where the leak is coming from. I may try a new oil pressure sender unit first and if that doesn't do the trick, I'll replace the gasket. I've got a brand spankin' new one on the '97. I had just replaced it before the car was wrecked... :(

I feel for ya. I'd rather do the oil filter adapter than the blend door any day. I'm going to get under it tomorrow and see where the leak is coming from. I may try a new oil pressure sender unit first and if that doesn't do the trick, I'll replace the gasket. I've got a brand spankin' new one on the '97. I had just replaced it before the car was wrecked... :(
Yeah this will be the 3rd Blender Door replacement I have done but the only Oil Filter Adaptor gasket replacement I have done I got done in about an hour or so?

Spit completely out at my work at a dealership at the time. Aside from going across to Flemington Ford, Lincoln Merc for the gasket it was a pretty fast install. Of course I had a lift in the shop and all the air tools to do it so :rolleyes:

Yeah this will be the 3rd Blender Door replacement I have done but the only Oil Filter Adaptor gasket replacement I have done I got done in about an hour or so?

Spit completely out at my work at a dealership at the time. Aside from going across to Flemington Ford, Lincoln Merc for the gasket it was a pretty fast install. Of course I had a lift in the shop and all the air tools to do it so :rolleyes:

This will be my 3rd oil filter adapter gasket. I've had to put one on every Mark VIII I've owned. It's not that bad. Only takes an hour or so (mostly because I take a lot of breaks and I'm not as young as I used to be so it's not as easy for me to lie on the ground under the car anymore). I'm hoping I can use my friend's lift at his shop tomorrow. That would make things a lot easier.

Members online

Back