Replacing cooling components (genII V8)

Hey SoulSoak, would you be kind enough to list all the P/Ns of the things you purchased, and possibly the description for each item (hope that's not asking too much) please? :D

Good luck with the install!

So is it easy to improperly install the thermostat while using the deneau link? Or did you link that to prevent an improper install? Thanks again Joe

Linked to that so that you can assemble and install it correctly.

Hey SoulSoak, would you be kind enough to list all the P/Ns of the things you purchased, and possibly the description for each item (hope that's not asking too much) please? :D

Good luck with the install!

Yes, I will start a new thread labled "GenII Cooling System Part Numbers/Pictures", and I will take individual photos of each part and subtitle their part numbers.

The entire part list for a COMPLETE cooling system replacement (excluding radiator) can be found above in this thread. However the list in this thread does not contain photos.

The expansion tank cap too. Unless you tested it and it's good. Mine was the cause of my heating issues, tested to like 5lbs instead of 20+. Heating issue went away.

Then the ignition coils started going...

so you didn't get the upper and lower hoses. you may want to get those before you do the job. the hardest part to replace is the inlet pipe that is behind the thermostat housing.

so you didn't get the upper and lower hoses. you may want to get those before you do the job. the hardest part to replace is the inlet pipe that is behind the thermostat housing.
The plastic cracked on my upper hose. It was my first coolant leak. The DCCV and the auxiliary coolant pump are both plastic, though I'm not sure if there is any leak history with either of those.

Indeed. I intended to do the job today before work, but too tired cuz work is kicking my ass lately. Granted I left out the upper and lower hoses, but I have a good friend that works at ITC (metal fabrication) nearby and when one of my radiator hoses decide to fail, I'm going to take them both to him so he can fab the plastic hose internals for me. As for the inlet pipe (9N499) it should be a piece of cake because I'm removing the entire intake manifold and replacing the manifold gaskets as well.

Plan to attack this tomorrow, but it all depends on how tired I am. Anyhow, God bless guys and goodnight

The plastic cracked on my upper hose. It was my first coolant leak. The DCCV and the auxiliary coolant pump are both plastic, though I'm not sure if there is any leak history with either of those.

The DCCV is well known for minor coolant leaks. I haven't heard about the aux pump leaking, so far.

Still, I wouldn't replace the DCCV if it is working correctly. It seems like many of them last quite a while.

Perhaps my DCCV is the source of my coolant loss. I have re-filled the bottle twice since replacing it to maintain MAX cold fill, and it just keeps dropping mid-way in the range. Gotta check it again soon..

Perhaps my DCCV is the source of my coolant loss. I have re-filled the bottle twice since replacing it to maintain MAX cold fill, and it just keeps dropping mid-way in the range. Gotta check it again soon..

Maybe, but it's easy to miss leaks on any of the dozen or so other parts that are well known for leaking.

CAM00023.jpg

CAM00023.jpg

"My manifold is free aside from this pipe on the back. I can't seem to get the hose clamp off to get it free, do I unbolt the metal hose from the back of the intake manifold or what?"

I disconnected that vacuum line at the other end (the check valve for the brake booster) on one of mine. On the other it came off easy enough from the metal tube.
Just be careful with the check valve to not break it. Twist the hose to break it loose.

"My manifold is free aside from this pipe on the back. I can't seem to get the hose clamp off to get it free, do I unbolt the metal hose from the back of the intake manifold or what?"

I disconnected that vacuum line at the other end (the check valve for the brake booster) on one of mine. On the other it came off easy enough from the metal tube.
Just be careful with the check valve to not break it. Twist the hose to break it loose.

Got it bro thanks

CAM00026.jpg
Also, is this oil/carbon build up normal? And do you recommend cleaning these ports with a certain carb cleaner or something before reassembling?

CAM00026.jpg

... Nessescary for reuse? And/or what's the purpose of these?

I think so. I only had one under my 04, and thought that it looked like there should be two.
Insulation, I think. Noise and/or heat.

...Also, is this oil/carbon build up normal? And do you recommend cleaning these ports with a certain carb cleaner or something before reassembling?

It has been for me. It's oil from the PCV system. You'll find a pretty good puddle of it in the bottom of the intake manifold too. I consider it okay since I have no noticeable oil consumption (no need to add between oil changes).

I used a vacuum to suck out anything that I could that had fell into the intake ports when I removed the manifold. Then I stuffed paper towels into the ports so that nothing else would fall in. I cleaned the mating surfaces for the gaskets, but I didn't clean down in the ports.

It has been for me. It's oil from the PCV system. You'll find a pretty good puddle of it in the bottom of the intake manifold too. I consider it okay since I have no noticeable oil consumption (no need to add between oil changes).

I used a vacuum to suck out anything that I could that had fell into the intake ports when I removed the manifold. Then I stuffed paper towels into the ports so that nothing else would fall in. I cleaned the mating surfaces for the gaskets, but I didn't clean down in the ports.

Thanks, will do.

CAM00032.jpg
Just noticed this hose looks pinched quite bad, it runs to the Degas Tank. will this affect performance? If so, I'lhose.t cut a couple inches off the hose.and reattach it via the hose clamp because I didn't order this house

CAM00032.jpg

...Just noticed this hose looks pinched quite bad, it runs to the Degas Tank. will this affect performance? If so, I'lhose.t cut a couple inches off the hose.and reattach it via the hose clamp because I didn't order this house

That's the engine air bleed hose (it automatically bleeds air into the degas bottle). It's not completely pinched off, so it's probably okay. I think that it's long enough to cut that part of it out, and that is what I would do. In the worst case, you can probably buy a long enough piece of generic hose to replace it. I don't recall it having any tight bends anywhere that would have to be molded.

Frick, didn't realize the intake has to come off on the second GEN in order to redo the entire cooling system.
Guess I got away easy on my first Gen when I had to do it.

~ unless I'm missing something.

Frick, didn't realize the intake has to come off on the second GEN in order to redo the entire cooling system.
Guess I got away easy on my first Gen when I had to do it.

~ unless I'm missing something.

It's not as difficult to remove and reinstall as you may be thinking. Yes, it needs to come off to replace one of the plastic parts known to fail, and one of the small hoses that sometimes fails. There is another way where you take off the throttle body instead and cut off two bolts. I've tried both and removing the manifold is no more difficult than the other way.

Okay made quite a bit of progress today. Got the plastic cooling pieces Trio out. Installed new serpentine Belt. Assembled new coolant pieces trio with new gaskets, and new thermostat. Got all the hoses reconnected. Put new intake manifold gaskets on, and got the intake manifold resting in place.

Now I just need to bolt it down, reinstall throttle body and intake, then connect all the wiring harness back. I still need to replace the degas yet. Take your time with this if you intend to do it, it can be very tedious and time consuming. I'm getting married on the 31st so I'm deffinately taking my time because my wife is a stressed out nuclear bomb and not enjoyable company right now lol.

I've been taking tons of pictures and will have a good thread write up for those who want to do this to make it easier on you. Anyhow it's time to shower and go to work. God bless everyone

Members online

Back