Big Brake upgrade

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, Brett was going to make big brake kits for the ls. He ran out of time before he had to leave to law school so he wasn't able to finish them.

As of now, he had the rotors drilled to 5x108, got everything needed, except for the brackets.

Since I have more time now, plus my hand is good to work now, I went to go pick up the stuff and will work on the brackets and finish up my set up.

Right now, the calipers are painted red. I will have them powder coated, with the fronts having the wilwood logo marked up again and the rears possible the lincoln logo or "LS".

I'm trying to decide on the color combo, what do you guys think?
1) Gloss black with red lettering
2) Gloss black with white lettering
3) Candy apple red (like a glossy dark red) with white lettering
4) Candy apple red with black lettering
5) Gloss white with black lettering

candy apple red

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...b=13sq3bu59&sigi=130uolkif&.crumb=LlIIKQZTMEp

As they are now. 14.25'' front rotors, 13.8'' rears, something along those lines, wilwood 4pot up front and smaller brembo in the rears. I know its a "Frankenstein build" but front brembos were too bulky so I was upgraded to these wilwoods for the same price as the original, lesser performing brembo fronts. I will be working on the parking brake add on once I have enough to buy the caliper from a guy who does custom parking brake calipers for the older vipers.

DSCN2471_zps36d0716d.jpg

DSCN2472_zps0a307cb1.jpg

DSCN2473_zpsfe26b1a6.jpg

So let me know what you think of the color combo

On your car I would do black with white letters or white with black letters. I'm not a fan of red calipers myself. Glad to hear you're doing better!

Any of the white/black combos would be my color preference. Too many civics with red calipers ruined it for me.

I like black with red lettering to match the lse tails.

Black with white lettering or a yellow gold like this.

Yellow calipers??? :yuck:

Even though ricer dip****s put red on any color, Nothing looks better on a white car than big red calipers....

I love those 14" rotors but I'd never be able to put my snow tires back on.. You MIGHT be able to get 18's with a brake cut to fit, but most likely will need a minimum of a 19" wheel..

I actually think the factory brakes on the LS are very impressive for stock.. And I have Brembo's on all four wheels of my Cobra..

But then again, the Brakes in my Sebring are pathetic...

But after I put the Sentas on, they were just mediocre..

out of curiosity why not drilled or slotted rotors? I am sure they really aren't needed but would have been awesome to see as huge as those are

White base with black letter if you can keep them clean, or do black w white lettering.

None of the stuff for our cars ever works out on these forums huh?

Anyways good luck on getting it all installed and working.

out of curiosity why not drilled or slotted rotors? I am sure they really aren't needed but would have been awesome to see as huge as those are

Yeah, I will eventually get some when these need changing. I was also asked why not 6 pot instead of 4 up front. Well to answer both, I paid for these as I was paying for the turbo so money was tight. I barely managed to pull enough to get these a year ago. If I would've known that I would not have had them on a few weeks after, but a year or more later, I would've had this extra year to save up more and go all out. I got this stuff at a great price and I jumped on it to take advantage of the price because it was too good to pass up. Like i said before, Brett even upgraded me to these wilwoods, which are close to twice as the price of the brembo's he was going to give me. The brembo 6 pot look awesome as well, like the one pictured a few posts up, but I cannot afford those now and I could not afford those back then.

None of the stuff for our cars ever works out on these forums huh?

Anyways good luck on getting it all installed and working.

What stuff? You mean the BBK?
Brett might still offer them, he just couldn't keep working on them until the summer so I just told him I would attemp it and he would guide me. If there is enough interest, real interest, I'm sure he can finish them in the summer.

I was reading up on rodewaryer's thread about his BBK that todd made for him and the ls. Email tdd, he will hook you up with 6 pot fronts asap, he had extra brackets laying around and he said he could make more if anybody ever wanted a set. So there is one option for you. I know you love BBk, expecially brembo, so if you really want some for your ls, if I get this bracket thing down, buy some 6 pot brembos or whatever you'd like, mail them to me, and I will make you some brackets free of charge, you just pay for materials, then I will ship them back.

Yeah, I will eventually get some when these need changing. I was also asked why not 6 pot instead of 4 up front. Well to answer both, I paid for these as I was paying for the turbo so money was tight. I barely managed to pull enough to get these a year ago. If I would've known that I would not have had them on a few weeks after, but a year or more later, I would've had this extra year to save up more and go all out. I got this stuff at a great price and I jumped on it to take advantage of the price because it was too good to pass up. Like i said before, Brett even upgraded me to these wilwoods, which are close to twice as the price of the brembo's he was going to give me. The brembo 6 pot look awesome as well, like the one pictured a few posts up, but I cannot afford those now and I could not afford those back then....

ah that makes sense. Just curiosity

I would love to put 4 pot calipers on my stock size rotors, not sure if you can with the mounting the way it is or if it would all line up the right.

Yellow calipers look good on a Porsche Carrera GT:

Chrome ones look great too :D (these are for a street bike)

29_30_8_web.jpg

pr30151_1_xa9m930-gp4-rx.jpg

Here's what the calipers in black with silver lettering basically look like.

lsdec2009northterra4.jpg

lsdec2009northterra5.jpg

And here's what 14" front and 13's rear rotors look like with 18" wheels.

lsphotosessionfeb2011pr.jpg

FYI, as a back up plan 'in case you didn't know' Todd at TCEPerformance has LS brackets both front and rear. Not sure what his policies are, could be he won't break up his kits, but just putting that out there.

Luck on the project.

Yeah, I was looking at your thread and was going to email him. I thought your front calipers were the same as mine, just in 6 pot form, but it is a different series caliper and I dont know if they bolt up the same. Either way, I want to try and mock something up, if it is too hard, I may contact Todd. I dont think it will be a problem to make the brackets, from the picture you posted, it does not look like a complex bracket or process.

White base with red letters would look good, or white base with black letters.

Members online

Back