Your thoughts???

Chuck_Duce

LVC Member
Reaction score
So the paint on my 95 Charcoal Grey is fading in numreous places and I already have a plan to get it painted when the winter is over... But I've been having second thoughts to if maybe with the money I have been saving to get my Mark to where I want it, should I just buy a 97 or 98 thats already in good condition, as far as paint and interior... With that said I'd like your opinions on that thought. and this 97 LSC...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...k+VIII&cardist=73&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Way too expensive for that 97 LSC.

I got my base model 98 for $1975, 130k miles.

No issues at all besides the neon doesn't work.

I'd keep the hunt going, but direct it towards 98 model year.

I would be hard pressed to repaint a car from 95, also.
In my opinion that money would be better spent on a Gen2 :)

Good luck!

So the paint on my 95 Charcoal Grey is fading in numreous places and I already have a plan to get it painted when the winter is over... But I've been having second thoughts to if maybe with the money I have been saving to get my Mark to where I want it, should I just buy a 97 or 98 thats already in good condition, as far as paint and interior... With that said I'd like your opinions on that thought. and this 97 LSC...

Do you have pics of the 95, inside and out?

Paint

Whats the hang up on painting Gen one cars?Sooner rather than later the gen 2 cars wont be worth anymore than a gen one so who cares.If you like the car and you also know its history then what the hell.We all have more money in this things than we will ever recoup.I love my 96 and its almost new again after finishing the front end rebuild tonight.I use this car to take my kids to local Nascar races on saturday nights and we have a blast.Thats what its about for me.Memories for the kids.At least we aint driving obama motors trash.

I'd have no issue painting a car but I've painted cars before. i like the Gen 1 style better

Look into wrap. I think it would look killer to see a mark in wrap.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...k+VIII&cardist=73&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Don't just reead these first two lines, because I don't speak in the surefire tone you probably assume I'm taking. Like so many others, giving advice online is easy, but this is just my assumption of the situation considering how I percieve that you feel on this.

I think you'd be better off fixing up your car if it's not a turd. I sold my '95 to get a good deal on a 2nd gen. I now have the second gen, and am doing the same damn things I'd have done to make the '95 right. It's a neverending battle to fix up a car if you dump a project when you are halfway there. I did want a 2nd gen more. Also, I am not unhappy with my mistake because I HATED how my '95 made me feel since I was so sorely bumraped by the seller, and the '97 was a steal. However, if you LIKE your car, and are just gunshy of dropping the cash, and you can afford to spend it (which is a big part of the equation), set it aside for 3 months and don't think about it. If after that time you still want to use it on paint, it will be a good long term choice.

I, and I assume many others, jump into decisions and land in a pile of sh*t only because we didn't put enough into planning. It's a good feeling, being sure you REALLY want what you think you do, so be sure this is what you want. With less than neccesary ventures, like performance goodies, projects, paint, etc., it's best to use a process of elimination. If after a cooling off period, you cannot think of a GOOD reason NOT to spend your money on the task at hand, go for it.

Sorry to ramble, but I like to give objective advice, and if it's something that I feel no one else has touched on in the thread thus far, I assume it's worth my .02, or perhaps, .04 cents.

No vinyl wrap.

I think he knows that.

I personally would stick with what you got. I would repaint her and keep improving her.

Pros to keeping it, you have a foundation for starts. You know the history, problems and have probably corrected some or most flaws if you are a responsible person. You know what to expect from her everyday.

The bad, is that you are going to start all over again and sink more money for the usual parts that you probably already replaced on your present car. Have no idea the misc crap that is not being disclosed to you, and more money in the end. And eventually a paint job on the new one.

I personally like both Gens.

I like first gens better but from what I understand about it, the hood is a real bish to get right with a repaint. A couple of members here have had them redone after the initial repaint.

Isnt that only concerning the 93s for the primer? I haven't seen any other Gen1s with hood herpes other than a 93

From what I've read, it's something to do with the adhesive used in the plastic gen 1 hood 'gassing' and causing unsightly rings in the paint. Special prep (including a gel coat?) apparently helps - maybe that goes for all fiber glass type things? Not sure.

Edit: Been discussed here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=56095

Members online

No members online now.
Back