What kind of air struts are these?

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I saw these air struts in this Gen 2 yesterday. I've never seen any with this top coming out of the strut tower. Does anyone know what these are and are they any good? They're still inflated.

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

DLF says they are soft. i've never had an OEM set on my car to compare them to.
but the ones on my car do not leak at all and so far make no noise. good enough for now.

all they do is take those in as cores and re-bladder them and paint them, they are used cartridges with new bags and a shiny cap on top, they ride like diahrea.

I don't think they use old ones anymore, but that doesn't mean they aren't crap. I was lucky enough to get a good set back in 2006. I had them on my 98 until I found a good set of OEM bags at the junkyard about a year ago. They're currently on my 97 and seem to still be doing well. That's a good story...

The bags that these replaced on my 97 were bought in 2008 and were making all kinds of noise within the year. I think it's a shot in the dark on these things whether you get a good set or not. Not worth the risk to me to buy a set from the junkyard, unless I knew they would take them back (they usually won't).

they also have trouble with the solenoid receptacles not sealing properly.
Not to mention they can literally seperate if you lift the vehicle and allow them to fully extend, which makes no sense as how else are you supposed to pull the wheels off the car.

I've had 3 of those come apart on vehicles within 1000 miles. They hyper-extend somehow.

but from what I've read somewhere, they have "improved them", which might cure those 2 ailments and make then inexpensive options for those on a budget.
The description of ride quality matches that of others whom I have installed these for(they bought their own)

The arnotts are new units.....they are not rebuilt. They haven't rebuilt struts in years. You must be talking about the suncore struts. Apparently, they "rebag" every core that comes in....whether the hydraulics are seized...leaking...or whatever.

I have a pair on my own Mark VIII, as well as the rear air springs. After I adjusted the correct ride height, I can't imagine the car riding any better. I drove "Betty" about 250 miles up in the mountains of NC last Sunday and it drove like a dream!

Members online

Back