What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

:lol: push those buttons!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlpnHW5FQA1vibgjK2_iiBVlngorPa4MhC4LpCcFYrIxD9nqrW6g.jpg

Yes really. They're the kind that have a shock at both ends iirc. Pretty cool setup.

You may be thinking of the older Broncos. This is the first gen Explorer with the twin-Traction-beam setup with coils on top of the I-beams and shocks mounted to the radius arm behind the I-beam and a radius arm connecting the I-beam to the chassis. Coils and shocks up front and coils and leafs out back. :)

TTB4x4.jpg

TTB4x4.jpg

our F250 HD has leaf springs at all four corners.

Super Duty with a straight axle in front? I've seen those. Some of the Excursions had that too. Those are seriously heavy duty. I think only the 4x4 Super Duty chassis had solid axle front suspension with leafs. The 2WD models still use the good ol' Twin-I-Beam.

You may be thinking of the older Broncos. This is the first gen Explorer with the twin-I-beam setup with coils on top of the I-beams and shocks mounted behind the I-beam and a radius arm connecting the I-beam to the chassis. Coils and shocks up front and coils and leafs out back. :)

View attachment 828455692

You can clearly see what i'm talking about in the picture. From what i've heard it road pretty well though.

I'm not entirely sure I know what you're talking about but it does ride fairly well. Still rides like a truck, but a good riding truck.

See where the two rods enter the shaft? Look to the right next to the frame. On the other side you can clearly see it if you follow the linkage from the center reamer rod in the illustration.

Last edited:
Super Duty with a straight axle in front? I've seen those. Some of the Excursions had that too. Those are seriously heavy duty. I think only the 4x4 Super Duty chassis had solid axle front suspension with leafs. The 2WD models still use the good ol' Twin-I-Beam.

yep. 7.3, 4x4 with the solid front axle. it is just short of a full 1 ton in the load ratings.
pretty sure the non diesel had a similar setup, but with fewer front leafs because of the reduced engine weight.

I'm sorry, those have leaf springs on all four corners don't they?

The Explorer's Twin-Traction-Beam has coil springs, not leaf springs.

Yes really. They're the kind that have a shock at both ends iirc. Pretty cool setup.

I don't quite get this statment. There is a shock at all four corners of the vehicle. Two in front and two in the rear. I may be having a brain fart but I have no idea what you're talking about.

You can clearly see what i'm talking about in the picture. From what i've heard it road pretty well though.

I really can't see what you're talking about. I need a little bit more info. Again, maybe a brain fart. :)

See where the two rods enter the shaft? Look to the right next to the frame. On the other side you can clearly see it if you follow the linkage from the center reamer rod in the illistration.

Are you talking about the radius arms that connect the two I-beams to the chassis?

Here's a good view of the front of the Twin-Traction-Beam IFS.
exploder ifs 2.gif

And here's an exploded veiw:
exploder ifs exploded.jpg

There are no leaf springs. And there is a shock absorber mounted to the radius arm just behind the coil spring. The coil sits right on top of the I-beam on each side.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the 2WD models were called "Twin-I-Beam" while the 4x4 models got the name "Twin-Traction-Beam".

And just for the heck of it, here's another photo of a Gen1 Exploder TTB.

exploder ifs.jpg
Of course mine doesn't look this good and it's not nearly this clean :D

AH!!! I think I just got it! Are you talking about torsion bars???? If so, the Exploders didn't get them until 1995 when they went to the fully independent SLA front suspension and CV axles for the 4x4 models.

exploder ifs 2.gif

exploder ifs exploded.jpg

exploder ifs.jpg

The Explorer's Twin-Traction-Beam has coil springs, not leaf springs.

I don't quite get this statment. There is a shock at all four corners of the vehicle. Two in front and two in the rear. I may be having a brain fart but I have no idea what you're talking about.

I really can't see what you're talking about. I need a little bit more info. Again, maybe a brain fart. :)

Are you talking about the radius arms that connect the two I-beams to the chassis?

Here's a good view of the front of the Twin-Traction-Beam IFS.
View attachment 828455693

And here's an exploded veiw:
View attachment 828455694

There are no leaf springs. And there is a shock absorber mounted to the radius arm just behind the coil spring. The coil sits right on top of the I-beam on each side.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the 2WD models were called "Twin-I-Beam" while the 4x4 models got the name "Twin-Traction-Beam".

secret_laugh_icon.png

windows 7 screen shot

Yep. Missed that. I guess I just got *owned*

Oh well. Manure occurreth...:rolleyes:

But at least everybody got a whole bunch of useful information about the Ford Twin-Traction-Beam 4x4 front suspension and how it DOES NOT HAVE STRUTS :p Too bad this ain't an Explorer forum...

Parked it about a month ago while I was gathering my front end part's together. Jacked it up today with the air ride switch off to get nut and bolt sizes. When I lowered it, I started it up cause it sit's a little high after jacking and my air compressor isn't kicking on and it isn't venting either WTF! No air ride message either.
Is there a simple test I can perform or maybe I should take it for a little ride? I'm getting ready to do LCA's and SRB's. I need to let the air out of the front springs to do that. I'd hate to do all that work and then it not air back up. Front air spring's and compressor/drier can't be more the 5 years old with only 20K maybe on them. Dam if it ain't one thing it's a dozen other's! I love this car but I'm beginning to wounder if she love's me back :)

Removed my front seats, cleaned and conditioned them. Then steam cleaned my carpet. Let it dry in the sun (it was 91 today) then reinstalled the seats. Filled it up and put it back in the garage. I love sick days!

...I'm getting ready to do LCA's and SRB's. I need to let the air out of the front springs to do that...

Not necessarily. I didn't deflate my front air springs when I replaced my LCA's and SRB's. You're going to have to put the LCA on a jack stand and let the weight of the car sit on it to get the lower ball joint nut on anyway so there's really no reason to deflate the springs. As far as your compressor and vents, I'd say take it for a drive and see what happens. :)

Parked it about a month ago while I was gathering my front end part's together. Jacked it up today with the air ride switch off to get nut and bolt sizes. When I lowered it, I started it up cause it sit's a little high after jacking and my air compressor isn't kicking on and it isn't venting either WTF! No air ride message either.
Is there a simple test I can perform or maybe I should take it for a little ride? I'm getting ready to do LCA's and SRB's. I need to let the air out of the front springs to do that. I'd hate to do all that work and then it not air back up. Front air spring's and compressor/drier can't be more the 5 years old with only 20K maybe on them. Dam if it ain't one thing it's a dozen other's! I love this car but I'm beginning to wounder if she love's me back :)

you shut the door right? the suspension won't move with the door open.

Members online

Back