What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

not Mark related but I'm going Saturday to check out a 95 Mustang GT, black on black with low mileage, looks real clean. If all goes well it'll be my new car

If they come out, they'll definitely be for sale. They might look good in the day time but my halogens with HID's have more of a light output than the HID housings.

Ahh i gotcha, you'll make a killing on those HIDs lol

low ass

Try new, properly lubricated, o-rings on the solenoids.

well it appears I found out something new! 96 rear bags do not seal up on a 97. I knew something was not right when I set the solinoid and locked it , it was still a bit loose, thought pressure would tighten it up. Hooked up the old bag and it inflated. So back to my original problem of bleeding out on the highway in rear only.

Anybody want to swap same slightly used 97 rear bags for 96?
Will dianostics at the dealwership find the bleed out problem on the highway?

well it appears I found out something new! 96 rear bags do not seal up on a 97. I knew something was not right when I set the solinoid and locked it , it was still a bit loose, thought pressure would tighten it up. Hooked up the old bag and it inflated. So back to my original problem of bleeding out on the highway in rear only.

Anybody want to swap same slightly used 97 rear bags for 96?
Will dianostics at the dealwership find the bleed out problem on the highway?

That doesn't sound right. From my experience, all '93-'98 front and rear air springs "should" be interchangeable. The only reason I can see that the solenoids would be loose is if there was some sort of damage to the housing or if the o-rings were completely flattened. Weird...

On a non-Mark VIII related side note: I finally got new front brake pads put on the Exploder. Turns out they weren't as bad as I had originally thought. The pads were worn paper thin, but no metal-to-metal contact so the rotors were not scarred. However, I figured out that the grinding noise I was hearing was probabaly from the pads being crystalized due to excessive heat. My stepson drove it to Asheville and back and I bet he rode the brakes the whole way back down the mountain:eek: Plus, I'm going to need new wheel bearings. The passenger side rotor was tight with no play at all. But the drivers side wobbled like it was barely attached. I don't know how the hell that happened because those rotors and bearings are less than two years old! But I can't drive it with that much play in the hub. If it's not one thing it's ten others...:(

That doesn't sound right. From my experience, all '93-'98 front and rear air springs "should" be interchangeable. The only reason I can see that the solenoids would be loose is if there was some sort of damage to the housing or if the o-rings were completely flattened. Weird...

All work with each other. Like thaywood said, sounds like an o-ring problem. 98's can go on 93's and 93's can go on 96's and you get the idea. I would also say to replace the o-rings and use a little bit of lubricant, like a white lithium grease. CRC makes it and it's at Advance Auto for under $5.00 and try taking your o-rings in there with you. They might be able to match them up with what you need. If not, check here for the exact that you'll need.

[url]http://www.americanairsuspension.com/product-p/sol-kit.htm[/URL]

You can find your air leak with your suspension the same way you can with a tire... spray bottle with slightly soapy water.

Thanks guys. I though so but o ring is fine on orig. bag.?? I will take it out and try to match it up this weekend, and grease it up.

low ass

Are they the original o-rings? If so, throw them away. Do not use them. Pretend they never existed and get new ones. Never, ever use old o-rings on the solenoids when replacing the air springs. They will not seal.

Ordered them today in case i can't match up at parts store. Can o rings cause overnight leak or most likely old leaky bags? Fronts are lowereing a bit overnight , hate to go for new. ( I know it is coming though)

While I had the neon off I decided to make and paint a new keyhole cover and mount it from behind.

Neon and keyhole cover 031.jpg

Well the back part of the seat I put in last weekend failed me. I ended up putting my old one back together. Sprayed in between all the seperated foam cracks and let it firm up overnight, then layed some material down to reinforce the backside to prevent anymore cracking.

The last pic is the one I put in last week. Should've known better.

seattrack seat install 018.jpg

seattrack seat install 019.jpg

seattrack seat install 020.jpg

seattrack seat install 025.jpg

seattrack seat install 023.jpg

seattrack seat install 027.jpg

seattrack seat install 028.jpg

seattrack seat install 029.jpg

Tired of shifting gears today and wanted the AC & Leather of my White LSC. So coming home down 206 I made a jughandle turn to a light. It's a 2 lane light that funnels to 1 lane in a 150 or so feet. I'm in left lane with some Jap Mini van in right lane, light goes Green and I take off at a medium pace.

Mini Van stomps on it and trys to pass me on the right to get in front of me when it turns to a single lane. Of course I am not gonna be passed by a stinkin Mini Van on the right so I stomp on the gas just as it's in mid shift. So trans takes a sec to drop down and a BMW starts pulling out of the jug handle across the highway in front of us :eek:

Luckily BMW stomps on his brakes and blocks the right lane so the Van had to give up his trying to pass me on the right. Gotta wonder when a stinking Mini Van thinks it's gonna be able to take a Mark :confused:

Finally finished installing my passenger outer door handle. Then I drove it for the first time in months so of course it rained.

-Alan

Today i fixed the A/C fan... the plug to the blower motor just needed the pins tightened a tad... nice cold a/c again :)

low ass

yeah, it could. ever had the solenoids out?

No i am second owner and no air susp. work done I can see. New o's on the way, parts store too fat. Front is starting the overnight droop. Just wondering if a o ring change would possibly solve the slow leak.i hope to get the rings in the mail today or tomorrow , I hate driving anything else.Been two weeks now.

No i am second owner and no air susp. work done I can see. New o's on the way, parts store too fat. Front is starting the overnight droop. Just wondering if a o ring change would possibly solve the slow leak.i hope to get the rings in the mail today or tomorrow , I hate driving anything else.Been two weeks now.

Glad to hear you're getting new o-rings. As far as the front end dropping overnight, there's a 99.999999999999999999999% chance your air springs are leaking. If it has never had any air suspension work done, chances are those are the original front air shocks and they are worn out and dryrotted. You'll be getting some new ones soon:)

Front is starting the overnight droop. Just wondering if a o ring change would possibly solve the slow leak.

Doubt it.... The cooler it gets outside, the quicker the drop is going to be. Cracks on the bottom of the bags get bigger and bigger, every time it drops down. If you can afford $300 a month for 3 months, you could have two new front air shocks made by Motorcraft and a fresh new compressor and not have to worry about any of that for a long long time.

[url]http://www.sarad.com/index.aspx?q=AVS17[/URL] <---Drivers side

[url]http://www.sarad.com/index.aspx?q=AVS16[/URL] <---Passengers side

[url]http://www.americanairsuspension.com/product-p/mk8com.htm[/URL]

Don't bother trying to find this stuff any cheaper brand new because it ain't happenin. If you do, show a link please.

Also, these rears aren't Motorcraft but they do work well for the rear. I have had them before.

[url]http://www.americanairsuspension.com/product-p/mk8spr.htm[/URL]

I'm sure these could be had for cheaper from someone else. I haven't really done much searching for rears. If nothing is wrong with your compressor, then deduct that from the total cost but if the front is dipping now, it's only going to get worse with time, especially when it gets cold out. It will slam within hours. Here is what the front bag looks like on the bottom, where the fold is, after 14 to 16 years. <---Get that??? Get new ones and that's what you're looking at with new air ride again. Many years, drop free!

2012-03-12225206.jpg

2012-03-12224959.jpg

Get new ones and this is how it will be.

2012-06AirShockInstalled.jpg

low ass

Glad to hear you're getting new o-rings. As far as the front end dropping overnight, there's a 99.999999999999999999999% chance your air springs are leaking. If it has never had any air suspension work done, chances are those are the original front air shocks and they are worn out and dryrotted. You'll be getting some new ones soon:)

Rings in and sitting pretty through the night ( front and back) did not have the guts to change the small in- line o ring. Why look for trouble. Original problem was low ass on the highway. 30 miles to work and no problem.

Again thanks to all who helped with advice.As I said before I thoght I was on this island where no one cared or knew anything about these fine rides. I am 54 and been driving a mark since my 71 Mark III I bought in Bklyn for $2,400 in 1977 at 19. Had 9 since all daily drivers. Hope the fronts hold for a while longer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back