What did you do to your LS today?

As a parting shot, what did I do to my LS today? Tried to remember what it looked like... and failed. I'm so happy!

... and we are so happy for you as well. Nothing makes the rest of us more happier then seeing a miserable LS owner stuck with it for some many years and finally rid himself of his troubles.

Good on you Telco! You got rid of the car you hated the most for all these year. Sure do hope you stick around for a long time reminding us of how much of a POS this LS really is huh?

Great contributions Bud!

finger.jpg

Funny thing today, it rains, I decide to check the trunk, more water ... drilled some holes, no more water, problem solved.

Done ... next!

I kid I kid.

It's coming in right below the battery tray but it's not dripping from the trunk seal. I'm at a loss, will have to look at it some more, next rain I'm locking myself in the trunk with a flash light and couple sandwiches. not coming out till I find it.

Wonder if the moon roof rear drain line is disconnected on that side, logic tells me there's a hump in between, shouldn't flow over into the well.

I can't see anything drip from above.

May have to pull the whole battery and tray, it's definitely coming in on that side. Water pools in the ridges coming from underneath the tray itself.

Concerns me because grounds, battery, fuse box plus additional wiring is too close for comfort. It's elevated but no one likes water nearby electronics.

<shrugs>

... and we are so happy for you as well. Nothing makes the rest of us more happier then seeing a miserable LS owner stuck with it for some many years and finally rid himself of his troubles.

Good on you Telco! You got rid of the car you hated the most for all these year. Sure do hope you stick around for a long time reminding us of how much of a POS this LS really is huh?

Great contributions Bud!

finger.jpg

Nicely played, BigRig. Telco has become a major PIA.

You've made your point, Telco, now why don't you drive off into the sunset in your Smart car and have fun. We wish you well.

Found a couple spots of bright yellow (on newly cleaned and sealed concert) fluid under my '04 LS V8 Sport with 50K miles. The spots where directly behind each other about a foot apart running front to back. Their location would be at the back of the block, directly below the rear of the driver's side cylinder head. The spots were not located directly behind nor next to the driver's front tire, but about a foot away from the inside of the tire sidewall, toward the center line of the car. When I rubbed fluid between my fingers it felt like coolant. The coolant level in the degas bottle was low, to I topped it off with G-05 and distilled water. So far no more spots on the driveway and I double checked under the car at work after lunch.

From what I have searched and read here, this is most likely the degas bottle beginning to leak, correct? What else could be the source of a coolant leak that would dip in the area I noted? I need to change the oil this weekend, so I will have the car up on the ramps and maybe I can get a better idea of where the coolant was dripping from. Also from what I have read here, if I do need a new degas bottle, I should just bite the bullet and get a new Ford / Motorcraft unit and avoid the less expensive; Doorman, A1 Auto and Deutsche brands degas bottle, correct?

... Their location would be at the back of the block, directly below the rear of the driver's side cylinder head. ... What else could be the source of a coolant leak that would dip in the area I noted? ...

Gen II V8 correct?
I would bet that the leak is at the front of the engine from the plastic coolant pieces there. It doesn't matter exactly which one, because they'll all have to be replaced. A leak at the top front of the engine can run under the intake manifold and exit where you describe. (It would be a good idea to replace the degas bottle to.)

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?91092-GenII-LS8-Cooling-System-Overhaul

Could be, but the motor mount fluid that leaked out on both of my gen IIs (2004 and 2006) was dark red.

Hmmm... come to think of it the fluid was very intense yellow, almost florescent, not a pale yellow like the G-05 coolant. It was fairly slick when rubbed between my fingers. But to be truthful it didn't smell like coolant - but then again I am used to the smell of the old ethylene glycol type coolants, not the newer HOAT or OAT type coolants. With the degas bottle a bit low, I though maybe it was a coolant leak - maybe I jumped the gun? I didn't realize we that have fluid filled motor mounts in the LS. I have not seen any more drips or small puddles last night or today. I will double check the mounts when I get under there to change the oil this weekend.

Any specific or typical symptoms that would be noted for the Gen II V8 LS (or Gen I V8 for that matter if is makes a difference) if your motor mounts had gone bad and leaked out their fluid?

Thanks for the advise guys.

It seems like there must be a fair amount of time between when the fluid leaks out and when the mounts finally collapse, so I don't think there would be any immediate symptoms.
There is florescent factory dye in the AC system. I would say that it is more green than yellow though. It would normally show up under the front driver side of the engine, since the compressor is the most frequent leak site. Have a look at the bottom of the AC compressor to see if it is wet and oily.

Replaced the DCCV. Was having issues with the parking brake sensor stating service parking brake, only heat coming out of one side when put into dual climate control mode and really bad speaker popping and whining. Since replacing the DCCV, everything is back to working as it should :)

9 hours! Nice job.

On the cleaning - I am also tearing down a 3.0 and I want to clean it up. This is my first engine teardown and I'm wondering how/what you used to clean it?

Took my 2000 v8 in to have A/C fixed, while I do most of my own stuff, I avoid A/C work and leave that to the pros.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

It seems like there must be a fair amount of time between when the fluid leaks out and when the mounts finally collapse, so I don't think there would be any immediate symptoms.
There is florescent factory dye in the AC system. I would say that it is more green than yellow though. It would normally show up under the front driver side of the engine, since the compressor is the most frequent leak site. Have a look at the bottom of the AC compressor to see if it is wet and oily.

Okay I changed the oil over the weekend and spent some time under the car looking for any possible source of a fluid leak. I pulled off splash panels, I looked at the a/c compressor, check out the motor mounts, the engine block, the fire wall and inner fender unibody sheet metal, I looked everywhere and found nothing. No runs, no dips, no sign of any leakage. The car has not dripped anything before or since, so I am baffled. The back side of the a/c compressor was slightly damp and grimy, but if there was a leak it was a long time ago back by what looked like an access long narrow plate that is held on by 2-bolts. There were no sings of any fluid on the top of a splash panel right under the compressor. I ran the a/c system and got ice cold air though the vents so the charge isn't low.

I finally got rid of the squeaky outer bushing in the rear lower control arms on my '04 V8 Sport with 51K miles. I followed 04_Sport_LS direction in his post here;

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...(pics)&p=2037390415&viewfull=1#post2037390415

I filled the grease gun with Mobil 1 synthetic chassis grease and gave them about 5-6 pumps each. Wiped them clean. Put the wheels/tires back on, lowered her back down on the ground, push down on the rear bumper a couple times (like you would to test for a bad shock) one very short little squeak and then silence. Drove her around the block slowly with the windows open and enjoyed the sound of no more squeaking. Got in and out of the car - no more squeaking. It is a heck of a lot cheaper, faster and easier than having to replace the LCA. Now will those LCA still have to be replaced - most likely, but at least not right now. I do know one thing for sure, when I do eventually replace them, I will drill & tap the new ones and install grease zerks into the outer bushing before bolting them under the car.

Lincoln LS rear LCA outer bushing grease zerk.jpg

Lincoln LS rear LCA outer bushing grease zerk.jpg

Okay I changed the oil over the weekend and spent some time under the car looking for any possible source of a fluid leak. I pulled off splash panels, I looked at the a/c compressor, check out the motor mounts, the engine block, the fire wall and inner fender unibody sheet metal, I looked everywhere and found nothing. No runs, no dips, no sign of any leakage. The car has not dripped anything before or since, so I am baffled. The back side of the a/c compressor was slightly damp and grimy, but if there was a leak it was a long time ago back by what looked like an access long narrow plate that is held on by 2-bolts. There were no sings of any fluid on the top of a splash panel right under the compressor. I ran the a/c system and got ice cold air though the vents so the charge isn't low.

Carry on ... probably just some kid from the neighborhood dropped his ice cream.

I finally got rid of the squeaky outer bushing in the rear lower control arms on my '04 V8 Sport with 51K miles. I followed 04_Sport_LS direction in his post here;

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...(pics)&p=2037390415&viewfull=1#post2037390415

I filled the grease gun with Mobil 1 synthetic chassis grease and gave them about 5-6 pumps each. Wiped them clean. Put the wheels/tires back on, lowered her back down on the ground, push down on the rear bumper a couple times (like you would to test for a bad shock) one very short little squeak and then silence. Drove her around the block slowly with the windows open and enjoyed the sound of no more squeaking. Got in and out of the car - no more squeaking. It is a heck of a lot cheaper, faster and easier than having to replace the LCA. Now will those LCA still have to be replaced - most likely, but at least not right now. I do know one thing for sure, when I do eventually replace them, I will drill & tap the new ones and install grease zerks into the outer bushing before bolting them under the car.

View attachment 828475907

I know that this is going to sound crazy to most of you, but from my years of running cars on road course tracks, my butt dyno maybe slightly more receptive than most to small changes in the suspension setup. I noticed a slight difference in the rear suspension now - it seems more fluid and more intimidate in its responsiveness. I am wondering if those squeaky dry outer LCA bushings were binding a bit and resisting either some movement or at least the initial input and imparting a ever so slight delay in the movement.

Anyways the rear suspension just feels better, like it is working more the way it should have been all along.

Members online

No members online now.
Back