What did you do to your LS today?

My LS has been down for about a week with a dead battery. I was going to buy a new one and the only one the local parts place sold was $142. It had a 5 year warranty, 3 of those being direct replacement and 2 being prorated. They had a sale where if you bought it online and came into the store to pick it up, you got 20% off, so that got me down to about $120 plus tax.

Instead, I went with something called the Battery Minder, from Amazon, for $45. This is a trickle charger with temperature sensitivity and desulfation. It claims to repair the desulfated state that batteries end up in when they die. So far, so good, but it's only been a couple of days since I started driving it again. It took about 36 hours to charge. And it can't start from a totally discharged state of zero Volts. I had to jump it and charge it long enough to get it past the 3 Volt minimum for the unit to accept, then it started charging.

http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-System/dp/B00D7HZ6FC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408340840&sr=1-1&keywords=batteryminder

This device is supposed to lengthen the life of a battery by a factor of 4. Reviews on Amazon are very positive, mostly 5 stars. I had no idea this technology was available (the desulfator part). A friend told me about using a desulfator on his solar system batteries and getting them rehabbed enough to sell.

I didn't take any measurements of amps or voltage. I figure the proof will either be in the pudding or it won't. I had thought letting the battery be dead for a week or more would reset the car's computer, and it was dead enough it wouldn't power the lights or unlock doors and pop the trunk with the remote fob. But upon full recharging, it didn't seem to go through the chimes and checks that it has done before, when I've disconnected the battery on purpose. I wonder if I should do that, to have the computer reset after installing my plugs and coils a few months ago?

My LS has been down for about a week with a dead battery. I was going to buy a new one and the only one the local parts place sold was $142. It had a 5 year warranty, 3 of those being direct replacement and 2 being prorated. They had a sale where if you bought it online and came into the store to pick it up, you got 20% off, so that got me down to about $120 plus tax.

Instead, I went with something called the Battery Minder, from Amazon, for $45. This is a trickle charger with temperature sensitivity and desulfation. It claims to repair the desulfated state that batteries end up in when they die. So far, so good, but it's only been a couple of days since I started driving it again. It took about 36 hours to charge. And it can't start from a totally discharged state of zero Volts. I had to jump it and charge it long enough to get it past the 3 Volt minimum for the unit to accept, then it started charging.

http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-System/dp/B00D7HZ6FC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408340840&sr=1-1&keywords=batteryminder

This device is supposed to lengthen the life of a battery by a factor of 4. Reviews on Amazon are very positive, mostly 5 stars. I had no idea this technology was available (the desulfator part). A friend told me about using a desulfator on his solar system batteries and getting them rehabbed enough to sell.

I didn't take any measurements of amps or voltage. I figure the proof will either be in the pudding or it won't. I had thought letting the battery be dead for a week or more would reset the car's computer, and it was dead enough it wouldn't power the lights or unlock doors and pop the trunk with the remote fob. But upon full recharging, it didn't seem to go through the chimes and checks that it has done before, when I've disconnected the battery on purpose. I wonder if I should do that, to have the computer reset after installing my plugs and coils a few months ago?
Why didn't you just get one from the dealer?

before:

14769113737_2b1d0b5886_b.jpg
2014-08-08 18.40.19 by chris2523, on Flickr

after:

14955320882_d19574d693_b.jpg
2014-08-08 18.44.57 by chris2523, on Flickr

not perfect, but greatly improved!

14932675756_d3b3387a71_b.jpg
2014-08-08 19.08.20 by chris2523, on Flickr

Huh? Get one what from the dealer?

Battery......

Today I came off the freeway at 90mph to see how well the brakes held up. I was on a downhill slope no less. I stopped way shorter than I intended. The new rotors are doing really well. Bedded in pads real good but I might have to do that once a month because I usually brake really light and early. No dive and no instability or fade. Now going to get new spark plugs.

I guess he didn't understand that the entire point of this operation was to cut down on expensive battery purchases. : ) Old battery is still going good so far.

I guess he didn't understand that the entire point of this operation was to cut down on expensive battery purchases. : ) Old battery is still going good so far.

I would be careful. A bad battery will put strain on the alternator causing it to fail too.

Gave her a bath after picking these up

Blk04LS_LSE_Front_SM.jpgBlk04LS_LSE_Rear_SM.jpg

They are not perfect and I actually wanted to just buy them, toss them in the trunk and leave but the seller was not going to let them go given that he is trying to sell the car whole. He did not want to take anything off it beyond the front end parts destroyed in the accident. Sadly, the front bumper was one of those that were not any good along with the LH HID light assembly. So I struck a deal where he got my old parts and my sons and I swapped them then and there.

Another item I was able to get was the factory rear spoiler, but that is not going on right away. I was going to take/swap the side skirts/runners but they were not in good condition and I did not want them on the car like that. He agreed to call me if he ends up scrapping the car so I can come back and take the skirts without having to leave mine. Hopefully he will.

Blk04LS_LSE_Front_SM.jpg

Blk04LS_LSE_Rear_SM.jpg

love me some LSE parts

really been wanting to get my rear color matched to go with my LSE grille!!!

looks good!

Looks like a coolant leak to me (and I've seen a few).
I will be checking under the hood everyday after every drive to find it. I will be getting prepared for a big job. Anyone have any suggestions on a tent or shade tarp to keep me out of the sun?

Thanks for the insight!

Changed spark plugs. NGK V POWER copper. But, I discovered some yellow tacky stuff that looked as if it could be coolant but it was really tacky so I'm not sure if it is coolant. Does anyone have any insight?

View attachment 828469398View attachment 828469399View attachment 828469400View attachment 828469401View attachment 828469402View attachment 828469403View attachment 828469404

Pic #4 is a leak from the upper radiator hose. EXACTLY what happened to me. Replace that hose!!!!!!!!

I just found a leak on my upper hose as well. The plastic tube has a spot right in the center that looks like something was cut or broken off. You cant see the leak but coolant is seeping through that area. I was changing my coils and plugs today and noticed there was a drop of coolant right at the top center of the tube. I wiped it off and about 20 minutes later, I noticed two tiny drops seeping through again. Almost exactly like the 4th pic as well. I got a hose at autozone that should work. If it does, I'll post info on it. Only cost $30.

Yeah thanks guys I'll fried *******s right away and change it tomorrow I guess I was good thing is in a good place where won't be too difficult to change it. Thanks for the insight.

Members online

Back