Waiting Room

Anyone out there own an '06-'10 Explorer? Looking to buy and I'm trying to see if any of you know what to look for. If it helps, looking at 4x4's, less than $15k. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sold the '93 STS yesterday, lost a bit of money on it. had 137K KM's on original motor on it.

Had to transport it by ferry across the pond to the "other side" of Canada.

cadillac.jpg

Too much of a gas guzzler for my wife, did not want it after all.

Wish that Northstar motor would have bolted in direct fit to my LS ... fast front wheel drive.

but as the saying goes: "You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig".

Next purchase ... 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 WT 4X4

gmc1500.jpg

Was kicking the tires but they won't budge on the price at all ... still looking.

cadillac.jpg

gmc1500.jpg

This place is getting depressing. Great examples of LS's are being sold off and the forum is flooded new members with the same old issues. Not to mention the debacle that was the botched Ohio meet.

I've felt this way for awhile now (unfortunately)... Not much new going on, and more of a repair site then anything. Its sad compared to how this place use to be .Before it was 2 pages of todays posts and threads, now its 2-4 days on just one.... BUT HEY!! I'm not giving up yet!!!! I still have hopes we're just in a slump now and it'll pick back up.

Keep
Calm
and
LVC
ON

I remember owning my first LS when they were only a few years old. The threads were a lot different back then. These cars are very affordable now, but people apparently don't do any research before buying something anymore.

I've felt this way for awhile now (unfortunately)... Not much new going on, and more of a repair site then anything. Its sad compared to how this place use to be .Before it was 2 pages of todays posts and threads, now its 2-4 days on just one.... BUT HEY!! I'm not giving up yet!!!! I still have hopes we're just in a slump now and it'll pick back up.

Keep
Calm
and
LVC
ON

+1. I don't post on here much, but I do check it everyday still. Lots of repair threads with the same info we posted months and years ago. That is the point of a forum, pass on the knowledge, but searching would give them the same answers. It use to be exciting to come on here to see what Quik was working on, or various other mods being done by great and creative members, we need more of that. People are jumping ship fast, its sad. I have been pondering a new car as well, but not leaving my ls behind. I have a pending issue with the engine on my ls that if it turns out to be worse and expensive than hoping, I will just put it to storage for a year or so and save up to build the motor with forged internals. I miss driving her :frown:

Agreed.. seeing the new Mods, Builds, One off's, Meet photos, (waiting for turbo updates :D)....Hell even the non LS projects! Everyday was something new and exciting...... Now this site feels like an old girlfriend LOL.

I'm being a little harsh, just miss the old days. I'm sure it'll turn around soon.

The car is old and stopped being produced 8 years ago... eventually it's going to die off... and as the older it gets the more "repair threads" you're going to see and the less likely people will be to put turbos or anything costly in it.

Yeah I mean, I had my feet firmly on the ground in regards to community activity. Like jjcool00 said, the car is old and it wasn't very popular in the first place. Now they are very affordable and people are buying them up second hand (myself included) with miles on them and are put off by the repairs. That, compounded with the ever increasing difficulty of find the right OEM parts for this rare, jag sourced thing is really taking its toll.

Personally, I love the car, and I love how it is getting rarer. However, the quality part shortage will make living with that more difficult in the future. Also, its not helping that when it came out it really wasn't top tier performance and now, stock Focus ST's will get you at a light if you don't have mods.
Its all about what you want to drive and live with. With that being said, I am picking mine up in the next 3 hours from the shop with $1700 worth of goodies installed.

I have the luxury of using a work vehicle and drive the LS on trips and weekends. It's really perfect for that. Daily driving this thing would still be nice, but I'd be weary about stacking miles on it.

Who knows, when its paid off, I'll probably try and do something stupid like somehow make this thing coyote powered, what a rebirth that would be.

The car is old and stopped being produced 8 years ago... eventually it's going to die off... and as the older it gets the more "repair threads" you're going to see and the less likely people will be to put turbos or anything costly in it.

Don't worry, as long as there are T-Bird and S-Type enthusiasts, we will have a source. The basic platform is still in production so there is another source. It will be more expensive for the parts though.

driven.jpg

As if ... I drove that many miles in 2011.
a little less in 2012, 10-13hrs behind the wheel per day ... crazy miles!

driven.jpg

Raced my brother's 6.0 PSD and lost miserably. LS took off like a soap box derby car, his truck, like a jet, whistled and off it went. I knew I was going to get smoked but meh.

Well if it makes you feel any better im sure those 20s didnt help

And also if it makes you feel better: Got ssshhhpanked by a modded Acura Cl (type S...i hope) the other night. Is that supposed to happen? Or is my LS just slow?

Raced my brother's 6.0 PSD and lost miserably. LS took off like a soap box derby car, his truck, like a jet, whistled and off it went. I knew I was going to get smoked but meh.

Is there a problem with your car?

Is there a problem with your car?

Not at all. I know the 20's and added weight from the bbk didn't help but it wasn't even close. Stock for stock I'm not sure of the outcome but we're both tuned. A tune unleashes a lot more out of a diesel truck than it does our cars so that may have been a deciding factor.

There isn't an LS on here that could hang with it, N/A or FI. It's hard to run against a truck that's only 7-800 pounds more but making twice the hp & torque numbers. It's a work truck (2wd, single cab, long box) so it's pretty stripped of many options. It just made me ponder the possibilities of FI on the LS, the issues Alax has seen though makes it seem impossible to be done reliably without a swap.

Just registered for KC's 2014 Tough Mudder... any other Mudders out there?!?!?

Ugh an Acura CL.

I ran with one of those before. Just like the TL except 2 fewer doors and 400 less pounds. The rare 6 speed manual can be quick if they don't have oversized wheels. I beat one from a roll because I just punched it in 4th gear and ran it like that. He was trying to pull up on me after each shift but, I walked him after that. If he had been using high octane it might have been different.

Not at all. I know the 20's and added weight from the bbk didn't help but it wasn't even close. Stock for stock I'm not sure of the outcome but we're both tuned. A tune unleashes a lot more out of a diesel truck than it does our cars so that may have been a deciding factor.

There isn't an LS on here that could hang with it, N/A or FI. It's hard to run against a truck that's only 7-800 pounds more but making twice the hp & torque numbers. It's a work truck (2wd, single cab, long box) so it's pretty stripped of many options. It just made me ponder the possibilities of FI on the LS, the issues Alax has seen though makes it seem impossible to be done reliably without a swap.

Yeah, those swaps are gonna be the way to go in the future. Like I said earlier, the T bird, and S type crowd will keep the platform alive.

Yeah I mean, I had my feet firmly on the ground in regards to community activity. Like jjcool00 said, the car is old and it wasn't very popular in the first place. Now they are very affordable and people are buying them up second hand (myself included) with miles on them and are put off by the repairs. That, compounded with the ever increasing difficulty of find the right OEM parts for this rare, jag sourced thing is really taking its toll.

Personally, I love the car, and I love how it is getting rarer. However, the quality part shortage will make living with that more difficult in the future. Also, its not helping that when it came out it really wasn't top tier performance and now, stock Focus ST's will get you at a light if you don't have mods.
Its all about what you want to drive and live with. With that being said, I am picking mine up in the next 3 hours from the shop with $1700 worth of goodies installed.

I have the luxury of using a work vehicle and drive the LS on trips and weekends. It's really perfect for that. Daily driving this thing would still be nice, but I'd be weary about stacking miles on it.

Who knows, when its paid off, I'll probably try and do something stupid like somehow make this thing coyote powered, what a rebirth that would be.

You ain't kidding on this, and it's the #1 reason I plan to get rid of my LS soon. I used to have a Buick Reatta, and discovered that to own one of those cars means every single repair begins with a scavenger hunt. NOT something I like to do. Anyone who plans to keep theirs long-term, my recommendation is when you get the chance to scavenge one, grab everything you can that's car specific. Or, when you see one up for sale cheap, buy it and store it if you have the space. Not only does this ensure that you have spares when your car needs something, but in the future you may have a lucrative business selling the parts to other LS enthusiasts. Some of the guys who stored in extra Reattas are now making a living selling used parts.

No idea what I'll replace with yet. The new SS looks pretty nice (it's on the Chevy web page now) but I plan to wait until I land a new job since I was laid off in August.

So anyone else ever go to the dealer and wonder "what the hell did I just pay you for?"

As some of you may know, I recently just bought a used 2010 Explorer. Doing what I thought was smart was to request all the fluids except the front diff to be flushed and refilled and for brakes replaced at all four corners because they were pulsating. Additionally, I requested the rear diff seal to be replaced and the bearing checked as it was leaking. Figured it's easier to have all this done now and pay for it over the course of 60 months or so as opposed to out of pocket later.

Well, when I dropped it off for tint on Friday, the coolant reservoir was not even past the full cold line after being hot and there is "gunky ****" in there, the brakes smelled down right terrible, and now I'm wondering if any of the requested service was even completed. The only thing I'm certain on so far is that the brakes were done because it doesn't pulsate and I suspect they took them right out of the box and slapped them on their, oil and all, explaining the smell.

Needless to say I'm pissed, frustrated, and I'm not looking forward to being talked to like an idiot by someone who "sells" service when I don't see how I can be wrong here. Waiting for them to say "that will be a $100 deductible" or "your warranty doesn't cover that" because I felt better buying the extended warranty for the vehicle because I'm in need of reliability here. At least I can trust my tint guy for quality work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back