Tires

97MarkJA

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Time for new tires.
I have cooper zeon sport on my car now.
245/45/18 front
275/40/18 rear
Not real happy with the wear or the noise, they are by far the loudest tire I have ever owned.
They have been on the car for under 30k miles and with any amount of water on the road are now just about usless. Dry traction has always been top notch if you can stand the road noise.
I'm looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, they seem to have really good ratings and come in both sizes.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

i had a set of stock sized Kumho Ecsta ASXs on my car for a while.
quiet, good in the rain, nothing fantastic, but they weren't very expensive either.

I have the coopers in 18's and think they are very quiet, but my next set I will go with Goodyear eagles rsa's

Ive had them all and can tell ya a few things. The Kumhos are nice cheap tires and last pretty long. They aint great for cornering or for launching though. The Contis are excellent tires but will wear very very fast. They get loud after a couple thousand miles too and pick up EVERYTHING in the road and scratch the car. Goodyear hasnt made a good tire in years. The General UHPs are very grippy in all weather but have flexable sides and dont last at all. BFG TAKD and the Sports are very nice but are very very loud and ride like crap plus they wear fast.
Out of everything I have tried I like the Nitto Invo the best. Super quiet, superior grip, long lasting and they look bad ass! :)

IMGP0532.jpg

I had the invo's but my supercharger shredded them in less them 5k but they are great but the price on them won't stop climbing!

Ive had them all and can tell ya a few things. The Kumhos are nice cheap tires and last pretty long. They aint great for cornering or for launching though. The Contis are excellent tires but will wear very very fast. They get loud after a couple thousand miles too and pick up EVERYTHING in the road and scratch the car. Goodyear hasnt made a good tire in years. The General UHPs are very grippy in all weather but have flexable sides and dont last at all. BFG TAKD and the Sports are very nice but are very very loud and ride like crap plus they wear fast.
Out of everything I have tried I like the Nitto Invo the best. Super quiet, superior grip, long lasting and they look bad ass! :)

IMGP0532.jpg

How long did the nittos last for you laser?
I should have said the coopers have been on the car for a summr and a half. I don't drive mine in the winter and the summers aren't that long. The longer they are on the car it seems the louder they get, I pulled the front wheels off yesterday to see if I had a bad hub! That's how loud they are now.

How late in the season do you drive your car? Mine hasn't seen snow other than the driveway when i need the room.
It gets pretty cold even early in the fall here, I imagine as the temp drops the compound changes on those firestones. But I'm no tire expert.

It gets driven when it's cold, but never in snow.

I always wanted to try the Firestones but never did. Only heard good things about them.

How late in the season do you drive your car? Mine hasn't seen snow other than the driveway when i need the room.
It gets pretty cold even early in the fall here, I imagine as the temp drops the compound changes on those firestones. But I'm no tire expert.

I put on a set of Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grips 2 yrs ago. I drive my car year round, and have not found a better tire for rain, snow, or dry conditions anywhere. you can get them for pretty cheap used. The Highway Patrol here use these tires, and swear by them. They smoke up real nice too!

IMG_0238.jpg

I had a couple sets of the Wide Ovals (and the previous SZ-50s) on my Merc before and they are a great tire in the wet, dry, cool, but not in any amount of snow at all! Mind you that car had 487hp, but it would not go anywhere but sideways in any snow at all with those tires even at idle ;)
Goodyear still makes their Eagle F1 GS-D3 tire which are by far the best tire I've found in the wet! They wear a bit fast, are kinda pricey, tend to toss pepples, and aren't meant for the snow at all though...
I've used many different sets of Contis on cars (they were the main ones for a while at BMW) and I liked them, but some did tend to get hard/loud after a while like Laser mentioned (mainly the summer only ones I found though.) Another brand I can't recall was the same way (I don't know why I'm drawing a blank on that.)
The GY ultra grips are a great all around tire, but can get loud/hard as well...

I like my Coopers and I don't notice any noise. As far as no good in the rain, well my car hasn't seen rain in years. Hell I don't even have wipers on it anymore.

the conti extreme contact DWS's are really good tires, they are the top rated tire on tire rack. my dad got them on his 03 benz, staggered, they handle really well in the rain adn excellent in the wet weather. its not like it matters, they suck in the snow, a light dropping like a few inches is fine, but once you start getting like a foot, forget it, that goes with most tires. overall top tires out there i think, as far as all season anyway, im getting these with the cobras when ever the dough comes in.

I have the coopers in 18's and think they are very quiet, but my next set I will go with Goodyear eagles rsa's

The Eagle RSA was the stock tire on my CVPI. I would not recommend them. The only good thing I can say is that they were decent in the snow. Noisy with mediocre dry traction and lateral grip. A few of the Eagle F1s are decent (though I hear all the runflat versions suck.) I've run F1 GSD3s in the past and been happy with them (unless there's a snowflake within 20 miles, then you better stay home,) but like all Goodyears they're overpriced as well.

I ordered a set of nitto invo's yesterday, 245 DWS series are backordered till January, P zero Nero the 275 is discontinued ( that was my second choice originally )
Should be here next week I think.

anyone have any experience with pirelli rosso I found 2 new for $140 each locally. was thinking about picking them up.

They are a summer tire. I ran a set on my Merc and wasn't overly impressed. They were a bit to hard for my liking, and wore funny even thou the car was right, fwiw...

tire review

Hi all:woowoo2:,

Size:24545zr17
Brand and Model:Kumho esta
Approximate Price:$600'sh
Mileage so far on the tires:20k
Dry Traction on a scale of 4-10
Wet Traction on a scale of 3-10
Snow Traction on a scale of n/a
Additional Comments: Dont think about it!!!, If you like fast and the furious, this is the tire for you, scary!!!

Size:23555zr17
Brand and Model:BF goodrich g-force sports
Approximate Price Paid:$200 on craigslist 95% thread, was able to get insurance for all four tires
Mileage so far on the tires:15000
Dry Traction on a scale of 6-10
Wet Traction on a scale of 3-10
Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10
Additional Comments:Thougth this was a good buy, but a fast and furious contender part 2. horrible?looks great but if you like spinning out and please dont take any curves in the wet, fair warning

Size;24545zr17
Brand and Model:Fire hawks wide oval
Approximate Price Paid:$700'ish new with insurance
Mileage so far on the tires:30k
Dry Traction on a scale of 9-10
Wet Traction on a scale of 9-10
Snow Traction on a scale of n/a
Additional Comments:One of the best tire i have owned, i dont believe they make this specific model, theyve got the indy and some other sort of wide oval but looked at the comparison, it has changed. love this and yes you can truly drive like the fast and the furious in both drive and wet!!!!

Size:23555zr17
Brand and Model: Pirelli pzero nero
Approximate Price Paid$200, bought on craigslist 98%new from a mustang owner, upgrading his wheels to 18's
Mileage so far on the tires:4000, currently on my 96T-bird with the 03 Cobra's
Dry Traction on a scale of 7-10
Wet Traction on a scale of 7-10
Snow Traction on a scale of 7-10
Additional Comments:was a little disappointed, the wide ovals were alot better, not as confidents on wet turns as with the wide ovals and michelins. and they are rated the best in its class?i spin out a lot coming from a complete stop on turns?hmmm?not too impressed.

Size:24545zr18 front;25545zr18 rear
Brand and Model:Michelin pilot A/S plus
Approximate Price Paid:$1,100+with a 70 doll ar rebate
Mileage so far on the tires:NEW, currently on my mark VIII with the Talon612
Dry Traction on a scale of 8-10
Wet Traction on a scale of 9-10
Snow Traction on a scale of 7-10
Additional Comments: got these tires on an 06 XJ8L Jaguar for about six months now and very impressed, specially in the rain. the outer walls are really beafy, i compaired them to the continental tires DWS which are rated very highly but they are out of stock in most area's. but if you look at the side walls, the DWS are build like the pirelli pzero nero, but the A/S are more stockier/beefier so they dont roll as much when your taking turns. compare them.

Overall,
If money is not an issue, go with the Michelin Pilot A/s or the Continental DWS. If your on a bugget, go with the Firehawk wide ovals. If you want to go cheap, dont go with either the Kumho's or the BF's listed above. somethings that are worth spending money on for me are good tires, specially for our heavy cars and last for many years or so. good luck and Happy hunting:leghumper

regards,
ramon;)

I ordered a set of nitto invo's yesterday, 245 DWS series are backordered till January, P zero Nero the 275 is discontinued ( that was my second choice originally )
Should be here next week I think.
Excellent choice. You wont be dissapointed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back