The speaker really is Fuking my battery!! What sizes are stock?

BodyByAAS

Banned
Reaction score
Turns out that speaker is really fuking my battery.. I put a new 850 CCA battery in, and after a night sitting it was a little hard to start... def heard it go for 3 seconds before finally turning over. I disconntected the only light i connected since buying the car, and this fuse is the only thing I have installed since.

I am going to swap out the speakers and perhaps the headunit cause I need MP3!!! What size speakers came with the Gen 2 marks? What about speaker depth? Doesnt look like much room under the cover.

I know everyone says it cant be the speaker, but Ive shut air-ride off, Ive disconnected everything.. what else can it be?!!?

A speaker can't affect your battery in any way.
A bad radio, cd shuttle, amp, power antenna motor, or almost any of the wiring in between can, but not the speakers. Disconnect the speakers themselves for the next few days and you'll see...

A speaker can't affect your battery in any way.
A bad radio, cd shuttle, amp, power antenna motor, or almost any of the wiring in between can, but not the speakers. Disconnect the speakers themselves for the next few days and you'll see...

The speaker fuse was out when I bought the car - and at that point the information center and battery didnt have any problems...the previous owner said his mechanic took the fuse out because the speaker was killing the battery - so what else can it be?

I am telling you right the fock now and for the last time THERE IS NO FUGGIN WAY IN HELL FOR A CARS SPEAKER TO KILL THE BATTERY!!!! Do you have any idea how a stereo works..... or an electrical system? You have another issue somewhere else. Being you have that display issue then you can dang well tell you have an issue somewhere else. Track that problem down first. There is something draining your car so you need to look at a sticking seat switch, coroded main power line...... something like that. Also a bad alt can cause the problem. If it still thinks there is power on the excitor wire then the alt has a kinda dead short if its not spinning and trying to energize so it will drain a battery in a day give or take.
What kind of alt? How old? I would check that.

As for speakers they are 6x8 and pretty much everything thats out will fit. If you are gonna get subs then buy 6.5" components and an adapter ring that fits them into a 6x8 opening. Install the new tweeters where the stock tweeters are. Gonna have to be creative and make a mount for them. If you are not gonna run subs then get a 6x8, preferably components.

I am telling you right the fock now and for the last time THERE IS NO FUGGIN WAY IN HELL FOR A CARS SPEAKER TO KILL THE BATTERY!!!! Do you have any idea how a stereo works..... or an electrical system? You have another issue somewhere else. Being you have that display issue then you can dang well tell you have an issue somewhere else. Track that problem down first. There is something draining your car so you need to look at a sticking seat switch, coroded main power line...... something like that. Also a bad alt can cause the problem. If it still thinks there is power on the excitor wire then the alt has a kinda dead short if its not spinning and trying to energize so it will drain a battery in a day give or take.
What kind of alt? How old? I would check that.

As for speakers they are 6x8 and pretty much everything thats out will fit. If you are gonna get subs then buy 6.5" components and an adapter ring that fits them into a 6x8 opening. Install the new tweeters where the stock tweeters are. Gonna have to be creative and make a mount for them. If you are not gonna run subs then get a 6x8, preferably components.

Got the subs coming tomorrow - so speakers will be component

Autozone says the alt is fine, and I also tried disconnecting the positive terminal while the car was running and it stayed fine, with radio and AC going strong. I cant imagine what else it can be... The computer issue started the same time the battery issue did.. I dont think a stuck seat button would do it... I also dont think its the speaker, but if the mechanic said so, and it seems to be the only valid explanation now what am I left to think?

The speaker fuse was out when I bought the car - and at that point the information center and battery didnt have any problems...the previous owner said his mechanic took the fuse out because the speaker was killing the battery - so what else can it be?
OMFG!!!!!! Speakers do not have fuses!!! ....... well I take that back, my sub has fuses but thats the first time I have ever seen that. The fuse is for the amp if its the one under the hood or for the deck if its the one in the car. The amp could drain a system if the amp is stuck in standby mode. Only thing that would cause that is if the car had an aftermarket deck in it and the amp was wired to the wrong wire for remote power. Or if it did have an aftermarket deck and then had the stock one put back and was still wired wrong. The other thing would be the voltage sensor circuit in the amp went bad.

In any case if you are gonna install a new deck you should run new speaker wires and bypasss the factory amp all together and then you can just pull the amp out.

Got the subs coming tomorrow - so speakers will be component

Autozone says the alt is fine, and I also tried disconnecting the positive terminal while the car was running and it stayed fine, with radio and AC going strong. I cant imagine what else it can be... The computer issue started the same time the battery issue did.. I dont think a stuck seat button would do it... I also dont think its the speaker, but if the mechanic said so, and it seems to be the only valid explanation now what am I left to think?
If any mechanic said the speaker drained the battery then he is no mechanic and is a total dumb ass. Here, let me page a couple real mechanics to chime in and see what they think about a "Mechanic" saying that a bad speaker will drain a battery.

So have you pulled this fuse again to check? If its the fuse under the hood and you pull it and the system stays charged then the issue is the stock AMP is stuck on.

OMFG!!!!!! Speakers do not have fuses!!! ....... well I take that back, my sub has fuses but thats the first time I have ever seen that. The fuse is for the amp if its the one under the hood or for the deck if its the one in the car. The amp could drain a system if the amp is stuck in standby mode. Only thing that would cause that is if the car had an aftermarket deck in it and the amp was wired to the wrong wire for remote power. Or if it did have an aftermarket deck and then had the stock one put back and was still wired wrong. The other thing would be the voltage sensor circuit in the amp went bad.

In any case if you are gonna install a new deck you should run new speaker wires and bypasss the factory amp all together and then you can just pull the amp out.

Ok I wanted to get to the bottom of the power issue before I redid the entire audio system and put more strain on it then it already has! The car never had an aftermarket deck - it was old man driven and garaged for most of its life.

If any mechanic said the speaker drained the battery then he is no mechanic and is a total dumb ass. Here, let me page a couple real mechanics to chime in and see what they think about a "Mechanic" saying that a bad speaker will drain a battery.

So have you pulled this fuse again to check? If its the fuse under the hood and you pull it and the system stays charged then the issue is the stock AMP is stuck on.

What is that fuse labeled? I am pretty sure I remember which it is, but I want to make sure I dont pull the wrong one

Your wheels are on backwards...and that's more important anyway, how are you suppose to look cool in a broke down Mark..of your frigging wheels aren't even on the correct side of the car

and seriously...reach under your seats and unplug them when you have them where you need them for driving, then unplug your head unit...

THIRDLY...Never trust VATOzone...go somewhere......else

Your wheels are on backwards...and that's more important anyway, how are you suppose to look cool in a broke down Mark..of your frigging wheels aren't even on the correct side of the car

and seriously...reach under your seats and unplug them when you have them where you need them for driving, then unplug your head unit...

THIRDLY...Never trust VATOzone...go somewhere......else

Meh, no one is going to notice that about the wheels so im not bothering with it until I get an alignment. I am most likely going to sell the rims and tires anways, so perhaps Ill just wait til them.

As for unplugging the headunit and seats - Id be more concerned with breaking off the connection for the seat by tugging on it. As for the headunit, I am sure that will involve taking part of my dash off, and I dont think its worth doing since when I get out of the car the stereo shuts off, nothing makes a sound, and nothing appears to be on

What is that fuse labeled? I am pretty sure I remember which it is, but I want to make sure I dont pull the wrong one
I dont know. Its a micro fuse in the engine compartment box. Look in your manual and look for the under hood box and find the one that says "audio"

Its micro fuse #10 under the hood and should be 20 amps. Also check fuses #2 and #4 in the dash. #4 could cause issues if its burned out.

you sound like you have absolutely no interest in trying to figure out what is wrong, affraid to unplug the stereo, affraid to unplug the seats, worried about breaking the connectors, wtf??? then leave the car how it is, let the problem keep draining the battery, dont take anyones advice and try a few things to see if you can fix it, why do people ask for help, and come back with excuses for everything suggested?????????????????????????????????????
and as far as a " mechanic " saying your speaker is draining your car lmfao are you serious, a speaker? speakers have no power when a car is off, speakers dont drain batteries. that makes as much sense as me telling you that your ac isnt blowing cold because your tire pressure is low.

Ok...swap your factory radio amp...and drive safe...pretty sure there's your problem

Meh, no one is going to notice that about the wheels so im not bothering with it until I get an alignment. I am most likely going to sell the rims and tires anways, so perhaps Ill just wait til them.

As for unplugging the headunit and seats - Id be more concerned with breaking off the connection for the seat by tugging on it. As for the headunit, I am sure that will involve taking part of my dash off, and I dont think its worth doing since when I get out of the car the stereo shuts off, nothing makes a sound, and nothing appears to be on

mmno headunit pulls out without having to take da dash out

The radio comes out in about 20 seconds with the little u-shaped tools they sell for about $5.

Members online

No members online now.
Back