The quest for power.

If the pumps are designed to run 100% all the time then why does the fuel pump driver need to be in the car to vary their output?

The stock Gen 2, '03-'04 Cobra and Focus pumps are designed for the FPDM, but if you're just going to use a pair of generic Walbros like the GS342's then using relays is fine.

If the pumps are designed to run 100% all the time then why does the fuel pump driver need to be in the car to vary their output?

From my experience it's an emissions (bring down the fuel at idle, maximize fuel delivery at coast / CC, 105% at WOT, transient fuel tables, etc.) and saving parts (regulator, fuel filter, fittings, etc.)thing. Once you go custom all that ish is out the window.

K.

I may upgrade to bigger fuel rails and an outboard FPR I guess. I was gonna not bother with it since my rail has been proven for 700+ applications but I feel dual pumps running wide open all the time may kill the factory FPR and I cant fit an aftermarket one on the rail and still clear the blower.

I was planning on running the cloth covered fuel lines from the tank and then into a better and higher flowing fuel filter setup using all the fancy fittings and then getting adapters to go to the stock rail. I guess its only about $120 more to go with new rails and use the right fittings..... then there is the new regulator so theres another $130..... crap this is getting expensive! :lol:

DLF, I am looking at your bushings and have a question. Do your LCA Delrins eliminate the need for the toe compensator links?

K.

I may upgrade to bigger fuel rails and an outboard FPR I guess. I was gonna not bother with it since my rail has been proven for 700+ applications but I feel dual pumps running wide open all the time may kill the factory FPR and I cant fit an aftermarket one on the rail and still clear the blower.

I was planning on running the cloth covered fuel lines from the tank and then into a better and higher flowing fuel filter setup using all the fancy fittings and then getting adapters to go to the stock rail. I guess its only about $120 more to go with new rails and use the right fittings..... then there is the new regulator so theres another $130..... crap this is getting expensive! :lol:

Welcome to the wonderful world of custom cars. Wait til you have some fun with PCM programing with different Cam profiles. 03Steve and I have been doing alot of research and testing cams and profiles. Just by putting the cams in the straight up position most people are leaving ALOT of power on the table with just a little more measurement and the correct timing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of custom cars. Wait til you have some fun with PCM programing with different Cam profiles. 03Steve and I have been doing alot of research and testing cams and profiles. Just by putting the cams in the straight up position most people are leaving ALOT of power on the table with just a little more measurement and the correct timing.
Yeah, I aint gonna even get into that stuff! :lol:

I just learned to install the 4 cams straight up and since I want to put this motor together myself I will just stick with doing that. I tell ya, first time I pulled one of these apart and saw that the keyway in the cam dont mesh up with the sprocket that really threw me for a loop! :lol: Thought the key broke or something. Makes me wonde why they are keyed like that.... would have made more sense to have the cam and sprocked keyed together.

I know from my 96 Cobra that it does leave power on the table though. My Cobra made 281 rwhp and then when I had custom cam timing done ($600) it made 299 rwhp.

Steve and I are about to do a write up so far our testing show that the straight up method works but a little bit of time some mesurements / calculations and some special sause were working on you could gain 12 - 30 hp just with some simple changes.

Next you'll find some deal on a v12 and we'll be turning it into a mid engine, nobody ever rides in the back seat anyway

Bet once I get a welder and a plasma cutter with other metal fab accessories we could make it a pretty slick hatchback :D

You gonna get some headers and nice cats if you do this? Seems like the car would really benefit a lot from an opened up exhaust with that much intake.

If I can find a used pair of headers than yes but I wont buy from SCP ever again.

As for cats, I may just eliminate them all together.

crap this is getting expensive! :lol:

No kidding, I've got more money sunk into the fuel system than both power adders themselves.

I'm not worrying about the beehives myself, but I probably won't quite see 7k.

I'm doing a pair of 255s through 8an into Aeromotive rails and 80# Siemens Deka injectors.

If it was me I would totally ditch the FPDM setup... just run the pumps all out all the time... you can turn it off in the tune too, at least there is an option for it in the SCT software.

If I can find a used pair of headers than yes but I wont buy from SCP ever again.

As for cats, I may just eliminate them all together.

You can buy my coated ones, If you'll buy them for however much a set of stainless ones cost...:D

how hard would it be to put in a mustang tank? then you could use all the stuff that built mustang guys use. and if your worried about your trans not living, why not put in a tremec 6060 while your doing all that work to make the car faster.

how hard would it be to put in a mustang tank? then you could use all the stuff that built mustang guys use. and if your worried about your trans not living, why not put in a tremec 6060 while your doing all that work to make the car faster.

pretty much impossible the mustang tank shape is totally different

pretty much impossible the mustang tank shape is totally different

Not if you use the trunk floor from a mustang. Then the void left from the stock underbody tank could be filled with mufflers, as it should have been from the beginning.
Gas tank location and cruddy front suspension were my two biggest peeves of Mark ownership(former). Now,.. Those issues have been addressed, I have a Mustang tank in a Mustang,.....and two very useable cupholders. lol.

Not if you use the trunk floor from a mustang. Then the void left from the stock underbody tank could be filled with mufflers, as it should have been from the beginning.
Gas tank location and cruddy front suspension were my two biggest peeves of Mark ownership(former). Now,.. Those issues have been addressed, I have a Mustang tank in a Mustang,.....and two very useable cupholders. lol.

:rolleyes:

Hokay...

I was running twin pumps in the old 94.

Took a gen2 hat and modified the tank to use it. Its easy to hang and plumb them after that.

Running -6 line to the engine is cake as well.

Mike

I hope you aren't planning to run 16 psi on your non I/C KB. Stock heads are fine, I rev my car to 7300 rpms , my brother revs his 98 to 7800 rpms on stock heads. single 255 HP pump maxed out at 430rwhp on my brother's car with Vortech. Don't overheat your stock trans then it will last a long time.

We will be testing this pump on my brother's 98 shortly

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/11142/10002/-1?CT=999

I hope you aren't planning to run 16 psi on your non I/C KB. Stock heads are fine, I rev my car to 7300 rpms , my brother revs his 98 to 7800 rpms on stock heads. single 255 HP pump maxed out at 430rwhp on my brother's car with Vortech. Don't overheat your stock trans then it will last a long time.

We will be testing this pump on my brother's 98 shortly

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/11142/10002/-1?CT=999
Yes. I am planning on running with my non intercooled KB setup. I will be using a boost dependand variable controlled meth injection system with a 50/50 water/meth mix.

If it was me I would totally ditch the FPDM setup... just run the pumps all out all the time... you can turn it off in the tune too, at least there is an option for it in the SCT software.

+1
I thought about doing this in mine and went with the focus pump. I took some measurement so if I want to go to boost I can make a new hat for a dual pump setup, I have access to a nice lathe so I would probably just buy some aluminum stock and make my own.
Here are two things I've learned in the quest for power.... when he power comes up you will always find the weakest link in your setup to spend money on.... and..... there will always be someone faster... eventually.

Members online

No members online now.
Back