Synthetic Oil

Fordman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Is anybody using Mobile #1 or any other synthetic oils??? If so are threre any advantages. I have been using synthetic blends. But I'm considering changing to Mobile#1.... Any feedback is welcome. :feedback

Mobil 1 is the best syn oil out there my father has been using it in everything from his rare "Birdcage" Maserati to know my 1967 E-Type Jaguar and my 00 LS8 Sport. It has a higher wear rating then any other syn oil on the market.

-Scott-

agreed - I only use Mobil 1.

most of the German cars now come filled with synthetic from the factory - Merc, BMW, ...etc

I believe even Lincoln was switching to syn at the dealers.....

Use Mobile 1

Fordman said:
Is anybody using Mobile #1 or any other synthetic oils??? If so are threre any advantages. I have been using synthetic blends. But I'm considering changing to Mobile#1.... Any feedback is welcome. :feedback

I've tried to read all that has been written on this subject, and few experts come out and say that pure synthetic is that much better. Pure synthetic tests better under extreme conditions, but 99.9% of us in our lincolns never even come close to those extreme conditions.

However, I still use Mobil 1, 0-20W, in my new Lincoln Aviator. It's a form of pampering and knowing that I've got the best in the engine, that brings me satisfaction. And besides, Wal-mart will change your oil with Mobil 1 for about $30 - while everyone else wants $50 and more.

My son's '87 Nissan truck with 167,000 gets Castrol GTX Hi-Mileage oil, but that's a different story.

Hope this helps.

I think it's probably more hype than anything, but I still use Mobil 1.

if you read amsoil stuff they say there is better oil than Mobil 1. i KNOW for a fact the blends have dropped the % of synthetic because of profit margins. Still Movil one is cheap (walmart $20) for 5 quarts. that price is NOT installed. I dont trust the BOZO's at walmart with my car. I can my own for because i want to know whats happening under there, besides it pretty simple. I can check brakes and any other leaks while down there. My brother in law lost an engine because they forgot to tighten the drain plug.

Agreed... Jiffy Lube, walmart, who ever... the guys using the impact guns to tighten the oil plug are just dangerous, and all it takes is once, and you're screwed. Mobil 1 is the stuff, Royal Purple and a few others make syn, but Mobil 1 is the easiest to find.

I'm not a big oil additive guy, but we here in Butler PA have this stuff called MT-10 made locally by Muscle Products. This stuff is simply amazing. I use it in anything that takes oil. I actually did some testing on it back when I was in college, as the makers were looking at some different formulas. Let me say it this way, it can make peanut oil out perform regular motor oil for lubricity, in regular oil, it's fantastic. I can go into details on what it does, but the bottom line is it works.

Kleetus

'00 LS V8 Sport

Thanks for the feedback. I was also thinking of Royal Purple. A friend of mine builds race car engines, thats all he uses. He's running 8W in his race car. made by Royal Purple. But I may just stick with Mobile 1. I also do all my own service too. I don't trust these oil change places. They use cheap oil filters and over tighten your drain plug, which will cause it to leak.

I'm running Mobil1 as well.. Was doing some searching and found this little tidbit from AMSOIL, which got me to thinking about letting the group give thoughts on it:

Nothing Outperforms Mobil 1? Wrong!!
Just compare the technical specifications. We've got the data on the new Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w30 and we've compared it to AMSOIL 5w30. Guess who comes out on top in every category? You guessed it ... AMSOIL!

According to the ASTM D4172 Four Ball Wear Test, Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w30 allows 50% more wear than AMSOIL 5w30. 50%! What about NOACK volatility (the measure of an oil's rate of consumption under high heat/stress conditions)? Mobil 1 consumes at a rate nearly double that of AMSOIL. And how about TBN (Total Base Number - the measure of an oil's ability to neutralize acid build-up and corrosion)? AMSOIL has a TBN value nearly 50% higher than Mobil 1.

Of course, there are other areas where AMSOIL comes out on top as well such as a viscosity index score that is 12 points higher than the Mobil 1 product which isn't even on the charts (we didn't want to beat up on them too badly). Why don't you take a look at the charts for yourself?

the link to this is:
http://www.bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/index.shtml#mobil2

Amsoil which I am sure is good stuff but sure as hell doesnt carry the Mobil 1 name and or the number of years of dependablity that comes with it. By the way how much is Amsoil would be a big factor in changing, also LBK you think you would really work the LS motor that hard to break it down?

I work at Grease Monkey doing oil changes. If you want your car to run at its best with the least amount of engine wear, use Mobil 1. It is the only fully synthetic oil on the market, and many customers want it. It's a bit more expensive, but well worth the price. Oh, and use a Fram oil filter if you can get them for your car. We use Purolater filters, but we recommend Fram to customers with more performance-oriented vehicles.

Ohio, I'm a proud believer in Mobil1.. Wouldn't use anything else.. I just found it, thought of it and wanted to pass the info on to any.. :)

Lookin at the amsoil website, buying form them, it was $5.85/qt... I DON"T THINK SO!!! Mobil1 is $4.50 at Target...

Not to be a pain in the rear to Caddyshack, but I think Fram has the worst filters on the market... if you want a good filter, get a Wix, Hastings, or believe it or not, Napa silver or Gold filters. If you cut one of them apart, you'll see what I'm talking about. Fram has el cheapo paper and some tin thing that is supposed to be a bypass valve. Wix and Napa actually look more like a hydraulic system filter with a pleated paper element, with metal end caps and a real spring on top.

Now of course if you're REALLY serious about clean oil, check out bypass oil filters. There are about 5 manufactures last I checked. They're a bit more expensive, but when you look at how much oil you're not tossing out, all of a sudden they become more appealing. I have the links around here somewhere, I'll dig them up...

Kleetus

'00 LS V8 Sport

Replly To Synthetic Oil

Fordman said:

I've been using Mobil 1 for five years in a 93 Tarus Sho. It had 66,000 on it when I got it and the guy that sold it to me said that he had used Mobil 1 since it was new so I continued. It now has 166, 842 miles on it and it never burnes any oil between changes. My mechanic said that it has to be one of the cleanest engines he has ever seen internally! I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles religiously. I occationally so a Slick 50 treatment every 15,000 miles. Don't know if it has helped but the results speak for their selves. Beware, if you have an engine that leaks oil, it will leak more when you use synthetics! Have an OLds Aurora 98 and it wouldn't take it because it has a small seal leak that got worse on the Mobil. Other that that I would say to anyone that Mobil 1 is the way to go. Better starting protection which is when most damage is done to the engine. Better gas milage since the engine has consstant fluid dispersion at any temprature. Good luck and let us know what you think! Happy New Year!!!!

Quik LS said:
agreed - I only use Mobil 1.

most of the German cars now come filled with synthetic from the factory - Merc, BMW, ...etc

I believe even Lincoln was switching to syn at the dealers.....

my dealer is. Just got off the phone with them about my oil pan gasket and we obviously got on the subject of oil changes and I asked that they use synthetic and he said that is all they use, motorcraft synthetic.

On oil filters, I have been a partsman for Caterpillar for 25 years. Wix & Napa are the same filters. There very good. I prefer to stay with Motorcraft for all my Fords. AC & Mobile 1 are picked to have the highest rating in micron. i'm sorry but Fram is JUNK... I wouldn't put a Fram filter on my lawnmower. A friend that build racing motors blew a $25,000 engine with a Fram filter. Fram bought him a new engine. Guys stay with Motorcraft or Mobile 1 filters.

Synthetic isn't the greatest for everything. On Mitsubishi Turbo engines (3.0) most of us found that regular dino oil worked better for us. Less lifter ticking and such. Also, people experienced leaks after switching out. Slick stuff!

Steve, check the Shotimes forum.

http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/mod...le=article&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&sid=54

I owned a SHO for several years and over 150,000 miles with NO sludge. It looked like new in there. I used Penzoil 5w30. There is a SHO shop in Atlanta where he has proof that Mobil 1 SHO engines had more wear than dino oil engines. He couldn't explain it, but the numbers were the numbers. The SHO engine is an outstanding engine and is why I believe my oil always looked fresh when I drained it. The same can not be said about my Mustang. I don't even like to get that stuff on my hands. :) Of course, it does not burn or use oil and it has 130,000 on it.

I do not plan on switching to synthetic myself. It's not that I don't think it is a superior product, but I don't believe I am going to benefit from it. I have had a few cars for over 150k on Castrol GTX 10w30 also.

Also, my experience with Fram has been poor. It took longer for pressure to come up on cold start. I did not have any problems with Motocraft filters on my Fords.

No offense to anyone. We all have different luck with different products! Just my 2 cents.

You know what is funny!? Is the Fram Oil Filter factory is right next door to me, here in Greenville, Ohio. HAHA I am not a huge fan of their products even though we use to repair a lot there machinery before they went to a full automation factory. Honeywell currently owns them but rumor is they have been up for sale since Honeywell took them over. I personally use Mobil 1 in everything and Motorcraft filters.

-Scott-

I don't know too much about the filters, but I just recommend what my company uses. I use the Purolater filters cause they're cheap. Not too much point in putting expensive stuff on a Saturn.

I work at Wal-mart doin oil changes and when ppl ask me to recommend a good oil, I always recommend Mobil 1, cause thats what I run, or the Motorcraft. On the filter for my car (89 LSC), I run a FRAM XG8, cause its got the same return valve set up as the Motorcraft Filters.

:ban I work at Wal-mart doin oil changes and when ppl ask me to recommend a good oil, I always recommend Mobil 1, cause thats what I run, or the Motorcraft. On the filter for my car (89 LSC), I run a FRAM XG8, cause its got the same return valve set up as the Motorcraft Filters. I have always run FRAMS and have never had or even heard about any problems. I heard nothing but praise about them, the only time I ever saw a FRAM filter do damage was when one of or techs put the wrong filter on a car, and he ended op buying an engine, but it wasnt anything to do with the filter physically. Were did you find that Mobil filter at???? :bash:

Something that may sound funny but the Walmart Supertech oil filter is considered one of the better oil filters!

Avoid Fram!!! from what I have heard.

As for Oil I have too Lincolns with one with 96K - 85 Mark VII and one with 176K 93 Mark VIII. I use Castrol Blend.

I'vw found Mobile 1 filters available at the local Autozone on Brandon Blvd here in Tampa. There not cheap they run about $10.00. I've never personally bought one, cause I can't bring myself to 10 bucks for any filter. But what I've read on them there suppose to be one of the best. Just stay with Motorcraft. $2.99. at my local Wal-Mart. You can't beat it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back