Synthetic Oil

You guys got me thinking about oil life, the change interval and so on... I did some research on it last night, and this is what I came up with...

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf

It's a 177 page PDF file, and it will tell you more than you'd really want to know about oil, but hen you can make an informed decision on what oil is really best for your application. With that in mind, I still like Mobil 1, but I can see how Amsoil can make the claim of lower cost. Their case is simple, you don't have to change it as often. Pretty neat stuff. Happy reading!

Kleetus

'00 LS V8 Sport

Any good oil changed frequently will work. That said I've been using Mobil One with 5,000 mile changes and Motorcraft filters. Previous (non-turbocharged) vehicles I used Mobil One in the winter (easier starting at 20 to 30 below in Northern VT) and dino oil in the summer.

My previous car went 280,000 mile before I got rid of it. It was using a quart every 2500 miles at the end but that was through valve stem seals that had hardened from turbo heat. Some of that mileage was on Mobil One but most was on dino oil.

You don't need synthetic but if your going to use it Mobil One is the one to use.

Members online

Back