Sylvania Headlight Housing Attack

see Ford Pinto...

Oh THAT debacle/Farce

Did you know that 10 times the number of people that died in Pinto fires died in side impact crashes and fires in GM trucks?

I think 13 people died in pinto's and many many more died in GM truck fires due to side impacts and the saddle mounted tanks.

The mustang II used the same exact "drop in tank" that the pinto used... and you never heard nightmare tales of them "bursting into flames".

the whole pinto deal is "ralph naderism" at it's best.

If you guys want I can try to formulate an email that highlights what laws they violated regardless if it's past the statute of limitations we could at that point make bad publicity for them if the situation is not rectified. If it's not a broken law we can hit them with how they ethically deceived their customers and again use word of mouth and publicity as our tool. The internet is a powerful tool at our disposal, why not use it?

there has to be enough people willing to email them about it though.

we went thru ford, sylvania and the NTSB.

we had 3000 people on this campaign at one point.

Considering the number of Mark 8's produced, even the very large 3000 number only represents a very slim margin of mark 8's that were produced.

if I remember correctly 3000 people is something like 3%.

So by no means are we a majority with enough "voice" to make a difference.

Even when we approached the NTSB in force, we got replies saying "we've never heard of that issue" before, so we'll have to investigate it.....

Go to the NTSB website and fill out their complaint form.

I guarantee you will receive the same "we never heard of that problem" answer that we all received 10 years ago.

When I was first involved with this campaign was in 1999 shortly after purchasing my 95 mark 8 with 68,000 miles.

SO an owner of a 4 year old car with less than 100,000 miles got "no resolution" 10 years ago, how do you think it's gonna go.. "now".

I'll give you a hint..
ford, lincoln and the national traffic safety board dont care.

I went so far as to tell the NTSB rep that "I hope you and your family feel safe out there on the roads with all these drivers that CANT SEE YOU".

They dont care....

If it's not a broken law we can hit them with how they ethically deceived their customers .

I "bought" my car from a Lincoln Dealer and at no point in time did I ever feel that I was "decieved".

how were YOU deceived?

Just because you "perceived" that you should be able to purchase headlights doesn't mean you were actually "DECIEVED".

perception and deception are two different colored horses.
One will bite you, the other will crap down your pants leg.

If you guys want I can try to formulate an email that highlights what laws they violated regardless if it's past the statute of limitations we could at that point make bad publicity for them if the situation is not rectified. If it's not a broken law we can hit them with how they ethically deceived their customers and again use word of mouth and publicity as our tool. The internet is a powerful tool at our disposal, why not use it?

there has to be enough people willing to email them about it though.

Your gonna threaten ford, with an "email"...????

If you want to "DO SOMETHING"?

Ford doesnt care about "email" or some very vocal minority's "voice" on the internet.

if you want to actually DO SOMETHING, and since your gonna be a lawyer.

Then "start a class action law suit"...that will get far more attention than an "email campaign" that has been done and failed in the past.

Get your ducks in a row and begin proceedings for a class action lawsuit.

THEN you have "done something" that hasn't been done in the past.

Since the replacement parts are available.. it should be an Easy case to win.
ALL current mark 8 owners are upgraded to the halogen retrofit kit at no charge to the customer.

SO do you "take action" or just "talk about action"...that is the question.

Wow XLRVIII, looks like I struck a cord with you.

I'm not even going to begin debating with you. If you want to have no resolution, fine continue getting the spoon shoved in your ass by ford. That's your prerogative!

I've got enough of my time tied up in getting my law degree and I'm not going to waste the little free time I have arguing with someone that you can't convince.

All I was doing was extending a hand to help, doing what I do best. You have no clue who I am, or what I've accomplished with companies in my past without a law degree. Now with some legal training under my belt I'm that much more able to accomplish things.

I've had many lawyers tell me I should become a lawyer because they would argue with me, and I would hit them at different angles that were radical, but they never thought of. Every single one of them told me I was going down the wrong path in life and I should become a lawyer. I realized I got tired of companies trying to screw me, and that I spent the majority of my time battling these companies so I figured why not battle these suckers for a living.

With that said my point is maybe I can formulate ways to alleviate the situation. I'm not saying I'm some superhuman or that I won't ever fail, but what harm is their in trying?

People sued Microsoft over the failures, which skeptics laughed off. Microsoft isn't laughing anymore now that they lost the suit, and then were forced to extend their warranties a few YEARS! All because some guy that was a lawyer got pissed off and formulated a class action lawsuit and won.

Wow XLRVIII, looks like I struck a cord with you.

I'm not even going to begin debating with you. If you want to have no resolution, fine continue getting the spoon shoved in your ass by ford. That's your prerogative!

I never intended to spark a "debate".

My goal was to push you in the correct direction, rather than travelling down the path that 3000 of us had beaten before you.

I never said I "didn't want a resolution".
Hell I spent many many hours dealing with this in the past, I was hopeing to save you the same trouble/failure that we experienced as a MASS many years ago.

your comment about getting a spoon shoved in my *ss was WAY OFF BASE.

I was honestly trying to help, but obviously you dont need any help from someone that "has traveled this path before".

Sorry I didn't break out into a chorus of "Lambchop sing along" when your plan that had already been done was proposed.

Let me just say..
We've BEEN there, We've DONE that.. with ALOT more people than you have at your disposal currently.

Since reading compreshension isn't your forte' let me spoon feed you what I said.

COUNT ME IN ON A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.
COUNT ME OUT OF an email/spam campaign that has already failed.

*cue the crickets chirping sounds*

IF your plan cant stand a little discussion, amongst those it's intended to SERVE, then maybe your plan isn't as well thought out as you first thought.

If you think Ford Lawyers are gonna just "Roll over and suck your d*ck" your mistaken.They will come at you with FAR more "debating" than "I" did.

There is no debate since Ford provides a solution.

Any Mark with HID can convert to halogen. Housing are available. Its that simple.

Whats next. Your gonna b*tch that you cant get the original tires that were in fact designed EXCLUSIVELY for the Mark?

Point being, both are wear and tear items that have a replacement options.

what does it cost to take it to lincoln and have it set up to have 2 headlights again

what does it cost to take it to lincoln and have it set up to have 2 headlights again

the parts alone are 700.00.. plus the install would probably take you well over 1K before you got the car back.

IMHO not an acceptable option.

you cant spend over 1K to fix the headlights on a car that isn't worth more than 2500.00

its not resonable alternative then is the point i think he is making so i would have to drive the car with a light out in theroy since its 1/3 the value of the car just to make it legal

Here is about 850 more people that might want in on a class action lawsuit, if that's what it takes.

http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/lincoln_mark_viii_comments_and_complaints_121-1253-1.html

I'm sure there are many more. See, it took burning people alive and burning down a house or two and then the cruise control was recalled. I know the headlights aren't going to do that type of damage but charging the person that now owns the car nearly $1000 or w/e it is just isn't right. Why didn't they make us buy our own cruise control fixes if we didn't want to burn?

Tommy, I didn't know you had already took it this far before. It just popped in my head yesterday because I looked over and saw the letter from Ford to bring my car back in so that they could reactivate my cruise control for me. I'm not having either one done because I have clear housings with aftermarket HID's and I could care less about cruise control. I know it's deactivated now and that works for me.

KK, we are the customers (consumers) because we now own the car. We purchased it, regardless if we bought it new from them or not. If that wasn't the case, I never would have been tracked down and sent a letter about my cruise control and I promise, they hunted me down. If for some reason they have another lawsuit come at them, they might just be sending out more letters to give away housings and not make people buy them. I would gladly make a trip to the junk yard and get me a set of yellow housings and slap some 9005's in them and head right on down to the dealership. Come back home, reinstall what I have with the HID's and that should last the remainder of my cars life.

I just feel like the housing should last the life of the car. Does anyone have yellowing, fading tail lights? People have bought the new housings from Ford and then they find out a couple of years later that the insides are burning on them too. Luckily when I bought my car, the new housings had just been put in right before and I never really drove it at night and it has been inside from the elements. Since March or so, I have had low heat HID's so mine was eliminated before it started. Not only do the halogen bulbs ruin the housing but the weather also gets them from the outside. Maybe it is all a losing battle, idk but I feel like it's wrong to make the customer spend that much money on something they have no control over.

Yes, they offer a retrofit kit to take you back to halogens but what if you waited on that particular year car just to have the HID's? Some people probably paid the price on the sticker for HID's on 95's and 96's just to find out later that if they want new ones, they won't be like what you had but they still suck.

Y'all can let this thread die because I didn't want to get anyone upset at anyone. I didn't know that they had been hit with phone calls by many people and or emails in the past already. Tommy, you explained it by the numbers of production. I had no clue Ford done them like that on the bulbs. So who makes housings and bulbs for Ford now? :) They will soon turn yellow too and also go through the bulb issue. Now I know if I ever buy a car from Ford, Lincoln Mercury that I need to go ahead and do something about my headlights right then to protect them from the sun and rain and make sure they have the proper bulbs or put my own after market HID kit in because they will not have headlights for it later on.

Yes, I have noticed on many other cars, not just Ford, but Dodge and Chevrolet, that they also have a lot of models with faded yellow headlight housings. Maybe the windshields should be made the same way too. Just make us blind where we can't drive the car anymore after so long.

ripped camel, I really hope you take this somewhere. Apparently it hasn't went to the right person yet and you just might find that right person. When you do, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people to back you up because there are still a lot of Marks out on the road.

I love that Tommy uses so many " " when he talks to people...

I wonder if he is using rock out quotes... :D

Oh THAT debacle/Farce

Did you know that 10 times the number of people that died in Pinto fires died in side impact crashes and fires in GM trucks?

I think 13 people died in pinto's and many many more died in GM truck fires due to side impacts and the saddle mounted tanks.

The mustang II used the same exact "drop in tank" that the pinto used... and you never heard nightmare tales of them "bursting into flames".

the whole pinto deal is "ralph naderism" at it's best.

While I agree with you, it is one of the most famous "manufacturer doesn't give a poo" cases.

What about the cruise control recall? Mine was well after 5 years and was a recall. I took it and had it disconnected and they are still sending me letters just last week to bring it back and have it fixed. I think my car was about 13 or 14 years old before it was recalled. It caused deaths, burned people alive and burned down houses.

the cruise control recall is a whole different animal though, it included plenty of F/L/M models, Mark VIII was just a tiny portion............and for the most part, it was the same part for all.

and were not alone with HID problems, Prius HIDs are failing everywhere.........

the cruise control recall is a whole different animal though, it included plenty of F/L/M models, Mark VIII was just a tiny portion............and for the most part, it was the same part for all.

and were not alone with HID problems, Prius HIDs are failing everywhere.........

BINGO... the cruise recall covers cars numbering in the millions...

just support the jamie fund. send me old lights, i restore them for you, i make a few bucks, you get headlights back almost as good as brand new. i have been doing quite a few lately, but i need people to send me more, i'm trying to save that 95 i bought for my wife, i dont want to sell the car. so help me out lol. i'm a supporter here, support me now lol!!!!!!!!!!! send me your lights.

some people really are bored enough with nothing to do that that are bitching about the headlights on their 15year old car. jesus people, get a damn hobby.

and +1 to jamie, if your headlights bother you that much, send them to him. he has posted pics of how good he can make them look.

some people really are bored enough with nothing to do that that are bitching about the headlights on their 15year old car. jesus people, get a damn hobby.

and +1 to jamie, if your headlights bother you that much, send them to him. he has posted pics of how good he can make them look.

What's makes it even worse is that I'm bitching about something that I don't even need but do I give a :q:q:q:q, hell no. Just had nothing to do at the time.

If my lights ever needed to be made correct like they should have been from the start, I would surely send them to Jamie. I have a spare set I could use that's also clear until I got them back from him.

I have aftermarket HID's in my 97.

I like them, the bulbs are cheap, and it paid for itself when i sold the old parts off.

It was Win/Win

Members online

No members online now.
Back