Supercharged Ls V8

What about replacement cams? I haven't heard anyone say anything about this. Can it be done? I know there are not any "pre-ground" cam and it would be a custom grind but can it be done and can the rest of the engine take a hopped up cam?

yes - i should be a nice lift....

I have a set of ported head with ground cams sitting on the floor in the garage - right now...... ;)

you find out what kinda power this thing is putting down yet?

not yet - we have more tuning to do before hitting the dyno - still working out an issue with SCT software and datalogging MAF counts

Not likely going to happen this month - I am spending three week traveling - including three weekends.... ;( so not much time leftover to work on the car...

and the one week I'm in town it's been raining...

wat have ya been drivin latley quik
and is somone sponsoring u for this or r u doin it urself

this car is my daily driver - been driving it every day now since the new year.

all good - no issues. I am now waiting on a new file from SCT to see if we can get all the PIDs for deeper tuning.

I believe so....

Here is the 'high flow' t-stat I'm going to put in, you can see how much more flow it should allow over the standard t-stat - but since it's 80+ here now - I'm in no hurry.

Ryan at SCT was working with me this morning on enabling Torrie's tune file to allow me to log MAF AD Counts - and it seems to work - so we went through a couple of runs today, logged the data and TOrrie is working on a new tune right now. I'll be doing this for a couple of days until we get as close as we can remotely....

IMAGE_00087.jpg

Got to see the car in person today and all I can say is DROOL!! It sounds awsome. I just wish the weather would have be nicer so I could have ridden in it.

Quik,

Props to you!!

Quik - great project and writeups! Thanks for taking the time to document all of this work.

I'm new to this forum, but not to modding - I have an '94 M90 on an '03 4.0 Ranger FX4 so I've been through some of the challenges you've seen. I have a couple of questions for you all:

1. I'm looking at water/meth injection to lower charge temps rather than the intercooler. Snow (and others) claim that it won't hurt the s/c to inject prior to the s/c (which of course is much easier to accomplish than post s/c). At least one poster in this thread claims that the meth will take the coating off the rotors. Which is it??? Does anyone have actual experience with this that they can share?

2. Quik - when you have the camera in hand again, could you snap and post a photo of the 'catch cans' that you have on the pcv line to separate the oil out of that airstream? I'd appreciate that.

BTW, here's a photo of my setup, just so you know I'm not blowing smoke anywhere...
RangerB02.jpg

very nice.

I have used the Snow kits - installed them in friend Cobras a few times. Using them on the LS would save ALOT of hassle finding room under the hood for the piping.

However - IMHO - the meth does ruin the rotors over time - and you should install it post SC. then you are cooling the charged air - seems to make more sense to me.

The issue the guys have with it - running low, filling it up, clogging ...etc. Installing the air-to-air was a pain but now it's always there.

Another option is to use a water-to-air intercooler where the charged air passes through a rad that is cooled by a recirculating water/rad/pump combo. These usually are pretty small core and are closed circuits - so you never have to refill. This is how the Jag S-Type R works.

It's an exciting project - you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Here are pics of the catch cans.

I used one per PCV tube so I wouldn't mess up the venting.

The only room I had left was above the PCM - so I built a bracket to hold them.

IMAGE_00067.jpg

DSCF2227.jpg

DSCF2226.jpg

nice pics,

so is there gonna be a small production of supercharger kits?

nobody has thought of taking the heads, supercharger, intake out of a jag s-type r? same block, but you would need heads, intake and the superchager.

Chris

yes - the plan is to do a 'small' run - we are starting the second kit now.

The Jag idea has been talked about alot. Jag heads are very different - using a one-step VVT, different PCM, ...etc - only the block is the same (not even the rotating mass).

We looked at the jag SC setup - over $7k in parts alone - too much for a kit.

That looks suspiciously like the blower and plumbing from a Thunderbird SC... I like. ;)

Great job on the setup! Looks sweet!

Thanks for the feedback, Quik. I'm seeing 60-70 degree temp rise at 4 psi and am planning to change the pulley to get to 6+, so would really like to lower that temperature one way or the other. Intercooling is a huge pain with the configuration I have - blowing directly down into the manifold...

There sure is a lot more room on a truck... :D

Yes, and thank God for that! A lot less gyrations than Quik has been through to make it all fit...

well - you could go the air-to-water route - its a little rad that goes between the blower and the intake manifold. It's cooled with a mix of water and coolant - circulating with a small electric pump through a front mounted rad.

the air cools the coolant which circulates into the aftercooler and cools the hot air coming out of the blower before it goes into the intake manifold. They are typically only a couple inches thick.

Intercooling is a huge pain with the configuration I have - blowing directly down into the manifold...

Actually it would be much easier than Quiks setup due to the fact you don't need so much room for the plumbing. Its the fab work to CnC an intercoolercore. If you look a few pages back you will see my intercooler I had on my Grand Prix GTP with the stock M90. Granted it is a GM but the idea is the same. It would be easier to water cool a SC that blows into the manifold because you can put the intercooler between the manifold and the SC. I am planning on changing Quiks setup to a water to air for my setup I will be starting soon (THANKS QUIK:shifty: ). I think routing the hoses for an air to water will be easier than the piping for the air to air. Granted it will not look as cool, but an easier install. I will need to get one of Quiks intake designs to modify it to a bottom blower and fab up an intercooler core.

Actually it would be much easier than Quiks setup due to the fact you don't need so much room for the plumbing. Its the fab work to CnC an intercoolercore. If you look a few pages back you will see my intercooler I had on my Grand Prix GTP with the stock M90...

Well it took a while to find because 'a few pages back' turned out to be page 10. ;) It looks about 2 or 2.5" thick. Unfortunately, even with all the room I have under the hood of the truck, I don't have any more vertical space - to do that I'd need to completely redesign the intake manifold to somehow imbed the intercooler in it... I'll have to give that some thought sometime when I should be sleeping... Yeah, I know I could put a hood scoop on it, but that's not my style - I'd rather suprise someone when I get on the gas pedal.

Members online

No members online now.
Back