Sucks.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched it and couldn't find the answer I need.

So my car has been sitting a few weeks as I drive my truck daily lately. And saddly its outside as the VIII has been enjoying the garage.

Go to get in it and the door only open partly, can't get it to open the rest of the way from either side. When I say partly I mean it disengaged the first latch not the second so basically still closed but not all the way. Well I shoved it shut and now neither handle does anything. Power lock works fine.

So I'm guessing the latch or cable broke completely, it was feeling sticky for a while now.

This is what I need to know.....how the he11 do I get the door open to remove the panel to fix??? Through the searching I've done I have yet to find a answer beside destroying the door panel.

Hold the UNLOCK button on the remote till all the windows roll down and open from the inside.

Unless that was sarcasim, his issue will still be not opening that door to get enough room to remove the door panel. I had an '81 Monte Carlo that happened to. I had to remove the bench seat to get enough room to get the door panel off but still messed it up a bit.

I wish I could think of something to help.

Good luck!

Doh. yeah that does present an issue. Although, you can remove the black plastic surround from the handle from the interior side, and pull the cable with a pliers. Maybe that'll work...

For some reason I thought he was just asking how to get in the damn car.

Got three other doors to get in the car people....:rolleyes:

Just can't open the one I like to use to get to the drivers seat.....:shifty:

If the cable isn't broke, hopefully that will get it open.

Its frickin cold here, think I may pull her into the heated garage for the night to see if that helps it.

Maybe it is cold. I sometimes have a problem with my door shutting in the winter. The little latch freezes in the up position, so my solution is to keep a small hair dryer in the car during the winter months. I have a converter wired in and plug it up there.

AWESOME.

This happened a few days ago, I just just had to move the car up a few feet, and climbed through to do it.

Wasn't till tonite I wanted to see what was up.

Thinking it was cold related I started the car, turned the heat up and let her sit. That was about 30-40minutes ago...when I started this thread. Just walked out there and it openned right up and works fine in and out.

At least now I know the latch and cable isn't broke.

I'll spray up the latch and hope for the best.

Love the easy fixes! :D Sometimes its simple things we don't think of.

Glad you got it open, that could have really sucked!!

definitely glad you got it open before damaging the panel to tear it apart to find nothing broke (other than the door panel)

This has to be a Lincoln thing. Last Friday I go to open passenger side door. Won't budge at all. Ignore it and try it the next day, it opens but then won't latch shut. While I'm driving to the dealership with it roped shut it starts working again so I turned around and went home.

Two days ago I go to get in my car and the driver side door is frozen shut as well as front passenger. I climbed in the back and took off my shoes to get over the seats. Now all the doors are working again.

Also when the passenger side first froze, the handle was making a horrible sounding twang when I pulled it.

Crazy stuff. My car was always garaged and this is the first time it's sat outside in the winter, but I get a garage spot for it next month. It needs it bad, judging from this. My boss is a longtime Lincoln owner and has had this happen to his Towncars for the last 20 years.

I know what your problem was, Jason. Your LS should be in the garage, and the Mark in the driveway.

I know what your problem was, Jason. Your LS should be in the garage, and the Mark in the driveway.

The LS did get the garage most of last winter.

Problem is...not enough garages.

Lucky to have the barn up north, but its full of cars.

Lucky to have the TC in my one of my brothers garages up north for the winter.

Lucky to have The 76 CobraII in another one of my same brothers garages here in Milwaukee.

So with only the 1 1/2 car here at home the LSE and LSC fight over it.

That's still a damn nice choice to have to make. I'm seriously thinking about buying a Mark to drive while the LS keeps breaking :D

I want a Mark

Its a neat car really, I just can't see counting on it daily. At least mine liked to break while mostly small things still annoying when you buy a 6 year old car with 67k and your fixing stuff almost right away. I drove my MarkVII to 220k with fewer problems. Heck it still starts right up, just throw a battery in it. I haven't driven it in like 5yrs.

Members online

Back