Stripe on SWB MarkVIII

auto doug

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here but not to the Mark VIII's I've had a few and even built a SWB (short wheelbase) it is # 006, the other five I built where Thunderbirds, we recently repainted it and I thought about putting a stripe down the side, but can't seem to decide between the two styles I have on it maybe a vote. :rolleyes: Yeh I know it needs a set of wheels!
Thanks
Doug

P1010034.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010032.jpg

P1010029.jpg

Holy Shi+! You're that guy! With that short Mark! I like the higher stripe better, but not so much on the trunk. Maybe a wraparound right above the brake lights. Nice car.

how did the back of the car end up that short? did someone cut a section out of it? you can tell easiest by looking at the roof, thats is weird lol!! i like the driverside stripe better too.

That is what my wife says NO stripe ! and it is her car, I just thought I'd toss the Idea around since it is a bit different, anybody care for the hood ?

If I had to choose, it would be the low stripe wrapped around under the trunk light to meet up with the other side and get the top of the trunk lid back to a solid color. No stripes period would be my main choice.

not big on the stripes goin donw the car...but uh....what happen to the car? Premature birth??

also...i'd like to see some constructuion pictures too. Just out of curiosity :)

I think I'll save the construction photos for my book I'm gonna puplish some day Lol. yeh right I have time for that ! I don't think I have any didital ones I'll have to see about getting some prints scaned and downloaded.

did you do the SWB tbird that was featured in motortrend or car&driver many many moons ago?

Mike
I built the silver one that was in Car and Driver Aug of 91. Ford Motor Company built the red one that was in Motor trend it was 13 inches shorter, Ford built it to complete agianst the Vette and others. Ford pulled the plug on the program and only that one prtotype was built. I built five SWB Thunderbirds and one Lincoln Mark VIII, my version is eight inches shorter than the stock MN12 platform. and has a nice look when completed. I plan on building #007 when I find the right car and time to do so. probably wait untill I get a contract to do it for a TV show, LOL! for I think it would have a lot of interest and viewership, might be more interesting than some of the stuff we've seen in the past.:rolleyes:

Mike
I built the silver one that was in Car and Driver Aug of 91. Ford Motor Company built the red one that was in Motor trend it was 13 inches shorter, Ford built it to complete agianst the Vette and others. Ford pulled the plug on the program and only that one prtotype was built. I built five SWB Thunderbirds and one Lincoln Mark VIII, my version is eight inches shorter than the stock MN12 platform. and has a nice look when completed. I plan on building #007 when I find the right car and time to do so. probably wait untill I get a contract to do it for a TV show, LOL! for I think it would have a lot of interest and viewership, might be more interesting than some of the stuff we've seen in the past.:rolleyes:

ok,that makes sense, i remember both and the one(red) was extremely short and funky looking, i was looking at your pics and thought to myself," that doesnt look as weird as i remember" lol

cool stuff man

Ah-h man, you guys are killing me on my stripe Idea!! :( I'm trying to give it a unique ("hot rod") look ? you know something different, the stripes look beter in person, than pictures, (any body care for the cowl induction style hood?)
Yeh those are just some junk wheels & tires, I will be looking for a nice set of aftermarket wheels for it this spring so let me know what you guy think would look good on it. here is a better picture showing the C-piller and the hood, working on putting in lower driving lights as well.

Auto Doug

P1010030.jpg

P1010027.jpg

The hood looks good i'd go with the high stripe not on the trunk. Fog lights look like a good spot also.

I say if you want the hot rod look, do some fancy yet subtle pinstriping.

I always thought if you could move the rear wells back about 6" and drop the roof about 2" it would look way mean. Not that you haven't done a badass job, but even on a full length mark the rear bumper cover seems to stretch a hair too far forward IMO. Even though doing so would hurt weight transfer.

I think the hood will come in as a better addition after a set of wheels...

Members online

No members online now.
Back