step by step blend door?

remark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
whats up guys, i remember seeing a step by step instuction on how to do the blend door. im pretty sure it was still pictures but it may have been a movie. anyone have access to this or know what im talking am out? yes i tried searching but the search is so word findy

The guys at Ford responsible for putting such a weak system in such an inaccessible location in so many hundreds of thousands of vehicles should spend their careers just standing around being kicked in the nuts...

That guide desperately needs to be updated or replaced.

Steps 13, 16 - 21 can be skipped entirely. There's no reason to remove the instrument cluster trim at all unless you have the hands of Andre the Giant. The issue is getting to the fourth bolt holding the actuator in place, which can only be gotten to by feel from under the dash. An 8mm (I think - it's been a while) box end wrench will take care of it. Otherwise, you remove the cluster trim and the message center display to get to the 4th nut from above.

There's also no need to physically disconnect the connectors on the steering column, radio, or climate controls. In fact, the radio and climate control shouldn't even be unfastened from the dash, as the harnesses have enough slack to allow the dash to be pulled back.

NOTE: When pulling the dash out, you need to LIFT UP on it slightly (just a half inch or so) as you pull back, because there is a transmission harness that passes through a grommet in the floor and it can be damaged or cut if you pull the dash straight back without lifting. Be sure to lift it slightly when you're done and putting it back in place too. Finally, the drivers side of the dash doesn't have to come back as far as the passenger side. Maybe 3 inches on the drivers side and 6 on the passenger side. You can pry the top of the dash back a little while you're working if things get tight.

So in other words anyone doing an interior color change should do a blend door with the screw fix while it's all apart...

screw fix??????????????? i didnt even click the instructions but if i put up directions on how to do it anyone could do it and in about 3 hours tops if its your first time, my best to date was in Ed Diaz's 98 lsc, 80 minutes start to finish!

The first thing I ever did to my Mark was the blend door, way back in early 2004. I didn't even have my own tools. I think the only "tool set" I had was a small pouch with maybe 20 sockets and 2 screwdrivers. I don't think they were even metric! Lol. Anyway, this was the first thing I ever did myself, and I was able to get it done in 4 hours, taking my time. That even included modifying the new blend door in the middle of that time. I was dumb and didn't reinforce it beforehand. Everything else I've done has been pretty easy in comparison. Well, maybe not the engine swap! I'd really like to see how quickly I could do one (blend door) now. I'm supposed to be helping a friend change out his heater core next weekend, and we'll be doing the blend door at the same time, but that'll be different cuz of the heater core.

my first one took me 4 but i didnt know of any online help back then, hell i didnt know anything about mark VIII's back then! i have done about 14 or so in the last7 or 8 years and everytime i do another i try to beat my time, even if its only a few minutes, yet i dont rush and do the job sloppy, that wouldnt make me look good!

Kirk... isn't it much easier to just have me do it :D
Yes it is! :)
That guide desperately needs to be updated or replaced.

Yes it does......there are better guides, a search will find them.

That one will give a good idea what your getting into.

The op has six posts.
I don't have the desire to hunt them down for him. :cool:

i had been posting on here for a while but lost access to my account so im not as much of a noob as my post count insinuates,lol.

now i feel pretty confident doing this, but im worried about breaking something in the dash. the guy i take my car too wants about 400 bucks, and i trust him, but i just can't justify spending that much. do you guys think this is something a novice can pull off? i have replaced fenders, the wiper motor, door switches etc but nothing of this scale.

screw fix??????????????? i didnt even click the instructions but if i put up directions on how to do it anyone could do it and in about 3 hours tops if its your first time, my best to date was in Ed Diaz's 98 lsc, 80 minutes start to finish!

You should do that man! With photos, and a part about the heater core. It would be much appreciated. I've seen no writeups about the heater core with pics.
-R3

You should make your own CD with all the BS on Mark VIII's and sell it on Ebay in place of the CD manual everyone else is selling;)

I did mine along with a new heater core and I still not sure if the new blend door is working properply. Still think I need a new climate control unit since it the last think in the chain to elimate. Should could of left the old one in there since it was working but I thought since I am here do the damm thing.

all of u guys doing blend door installs and no one here in michigan to do mine :(

Im getting ready to do mine [blend door]here in ohio. we still have some nice weather so I don't want to quit enjoying my Hot Rod Mark yet.the guys at Performance Fabricating & Exhaust. [PFE] have Mark VIII experianceThey would probably do it for you. Their located at the n. river road exit of i.s. 94 just n. of detroit. Gary Cook is the man.586-465-2120.They Did The Hedders &exhaust on my Gen II.He also works wiith Liddio on things.alot of guys on this site have been very helpfull to me.good luck.

Blend door issues

has anyone out there every replaced/repaired the blend door on a 1996 mark viii? where is the blend door located on a first gen mark viii? does the dash have to come out to replace it like on a gen 2? is the blend door located in the same place as a gen 2? finally where is the blend door switch so i can get the heat to work until i have time to remove the dash if need be. any advice would be great.. thanks..

has anyone out there every replaced/repaired the blend door on a 1996 mark viii? where is the blend door located on a first gen mark viii? does the dash have to come out to replace it like on a gen 2? is the blend door located in the same place as a gen 2? finally where is the blend door switch so i can get the heat to work until i have time to remove the dash if need be. any advice would be great.. thanks..

Blend door is in the same place, gen I's do not have the arm. The Gen II trick does not work on Gen I's. Your problem is going to be to find an actuator motor as they are no longer made.

The problem with Gen 1's is not the blend door actuator them
selves, but the tunnel that the shaft goes into.
103_3283.jpg

In some gen 1's particularly in the ones that used their heaters a lot, the tunnel looses its shape, and the shaft of the blend door actuator just turns without moving the door. My actuator still works, and the tunnel, still has it's shape.
103_3284.jpg

i just did a blend door yesterday in my friends mark, again, i did it last year and it broke already, so this time i used a half inch compression ferral around the shaft of the black arm like i read jeremi talking about, hell yeah thats the new mod for me, it works slick as doo doo, and i had it replaced again in about an hour, man its easier everytime lol i cant believe how fast i can whip one out now!

103_3283.jpg

In some gen 1's particularly in the ones that used their heaters a lot, the tunnel looses its shape, and the shaft of the blend door actuator just turns without moving the door. My actuator still works, and the tunnel, still has it's shape.
103_3284.jpg

No, the actuator motor goes bad as well and usually results in a clicking noise when you try to use the climate control. The gears inside are plastic and covered in grease. The gears eventually strip and the actuator will fail. That is exactly what happened on my 96.

That is not the case in my 93. It still turns as normal. I took mine apart and took it to my electronics dept at work to have them check it out. The Mark VIII AC box is the same one used for the Thunderbird, Cougar, Taurus, Sable, Crown Victoria, and Grand Marquis. I've seen the tunnel get out of round. Typically when they come in for repair, the whole box is replaced.

That is not the case in my 93. It still turns as normal. I took mine apart and took it to my electronics dept at work to have them check it out. The Mark VIII AC box is the same one used for the Thunderbird, Cougar, Taurus, Sable, Crown Victoria, and Grand Marquis. I've seen the tunnel get out of round. Typically when they come in for repair, the whole box is replaced.
It may not be the case on yours, but it was on my 96 and on the guys I sold my spare Actuator motor to and on several others I have talked to. All had one of the plastic internal gears chewed up due to plastic fatigue. It is a documented problem.

Actuator

103_3283.jpg

In some gen 1's particularly in t not connected b4 I started View attachment 828476178View attachment 828476179View attachment 828476180he ones that used their heaters a lot, the tunnel looses its shape, and the shaft of the blend door actuator just turns without moving the door. My actuator still works, and the tunnel, still has it's shape.
103_3284.jpg

Good Information Thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back