Snow SUCKS!!!!!!!

kcam67

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Those who are in the Midwest (SE Michigan) know what I'm talking about. Last night's winter storm was worse than the one they predicted a couple of weeks ago. I remember them (National Weather Forecaster) putting the fear into everybody about how that storm was going to be 'the storm' of the century. Well, last night's storm topped that one and we barely heard a whimper from them. My LS handled it well though. She cut through the snow like butta. I get all the way to work (23.5 miles) at Ford and I get stuck in the parking lot. Go figure. Maintenance hadn't even made an attempt to plow last night but yet the executives parking spaces were nicely cleared and most of them probably won't even show up today. Anyone here got stories to tell :mad:

I run 4 snowtires and 235lbs of weight in the trunk, 135lb custom sub box with amps and cap and 2 50lb bags of landscaping rocks.
I also have a posi LSD and have absolutely no problems getting around
and it's fun doing donuts in parking lots.

Agreed, have to get some snow tires next winter. Running on Michelin Pilots and so far it's been good but this morning in the parking lot was a beeeeotch :(

I had my single sub (12) with General Altimax HPs.. I never had a problem getting around.. Even plowing snow it was fine.. :)

Forgive me for showing off :D
I have 2 12' Cadence heavy subs with 1000 watts rms old school rockford fosgate to power them.
This is why it's 135 lb w 3/4 mdf board.
I built this complex custom box with 3.7 cu ft of space yet there's almost no loss of trunk space.
A few people asked for the plans but I don't think anyone took the time
to build one for themselves.
Vibrates my ribs and keeps popping the trunk lid open at sustained volume even though I tightened how hard you have to close the trunk lid.
The legacy in the pic I put into my sc 383 Camaro vert 6 spd and has been replaced by 3 Rockford old school amps and a cap.
I'll try and dig up a picture of that as well as the 1/2 din crossover and 1/2 din equalizer I use to control them and the coneless Aura subs under the seats that shake the loins :p.

DSC_0315.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

Agreed, have to get some snow tires next winter. Running on Michelin Pilots and so far it's been good but this morning in the parking lot was a beeeeotch :(

Be sure not to buy a performance winter tire. Don't make the mistake I did :p

Dude, you have the same paint color on your LS as I do. Pewter, I believe it's called. Kinda a rare color to see on LSes. Nice job on the box. I think that's the best fit I've seen on custom boxes for the LSes.

kcam67, what plant are you at? I'm at MAP, just curious.

No problem.. lol

How does that sound firing directly into the carpet though?

It vents into the car where the factory 6x9 subs go.
Sometimes when a hard base note is struck it almost feels like someone has hit my car or some glass has shattered.

Dude, you have the same paint color on your LS as I do. Pewter, I believe it's called. Kinda a rare color to see on LSes. Nice job on the box. I think that's the best fit I've seen on custom boxes for the LSes.

It's called Tundra or light green tundra.

Here's the original thread about building my box from 1 1/2 years ago.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=54583

Here's some pics of how it is today with the 2 bags of landscaping rocks.
I added handles to the box along with the gate latches that hold it in place.
The box is easily removable with quick connect electricals and just fits out the trunk.
There's a Cap and 3 amps in the back for bass 1000 watts rms seat subs 200 rms and the 4 Infinity Kappas in the doors 600 watts rms as well as one under the dash 100 watts rms for the tweeters.
Kenwood equalizer and Pyramid 3 way crossover provide the controls for gain and crossover frequency.

SDC10174.JPG

SDC10171.JPG

SDC10173.JPG

SDC10172.JPG

SDC10176.JPG

SDC10177.JPG

SDC10175.JPG

SDC10178.JPG

SDC10180.JPG

Wow.. lol

x2...Way over doing it...It would prob sound better with 20 less speakers,cheap pyramid tweets,5 amps,cap and w/o the 2 eq's..And that box...yikes...

The only thing i like is the old school rf and the nav unit but even that looks like ass in there..

x2...Way over doing it...It would prob sound better with 20 less speakers and w/o the 2 eq's..And that box...yikes...

To each his own.
It's a monster stereo that can beat you up.
You would have to hear it if you want to be critical.
It has incredible detail.
Everyone I've shown it to has been impressed but I built it for me.
I spent 140 hours of leisure time on it.
It's similar to a system I had 10 years ago utilizing 2 10 disc CD players
with 18 speakers in a Gran Prix SE and the same eq and crossover units.
The built in eq in the kenwood 9140 takes too long to use and adjust
and doesn't give as much control.
One is an eq the other is an electronic 3 way crossover.
They're to adjust the gain on the 4 amps as well as the overall
eq.
4 door speakers 2 tweeters 2 subs and 2 seat subs
is 10 speakers down from my previous 18 LOL!
Other than the tweeters none of the speakers are visible.
This setup rocks!
It is something I did for fun.
I can fine tune and mix the sound however I want it.

Who took a poop all over your carpet? Every pic the carpeting looks nasty, i guess one of those colors that shows dirt way too much. Also that equalizer/crossover deal you got going on in the dash looks like something my older brother had in his first car waaaay back in the 80's. I like it though. Also, what happens when you push the little red button underneath the equalizer stack? Smoke screen? Oil Slick? Wheel Blades?

Wow. that's a lot of setup. I have a DC level 4 on the way, though I believe that only weighs about 40 pounds by itself. Then the box (TBD), full size spare, and a bag or 2 of sidewalk salt. Limited slip diff, and snow tires. I don't have any issues in winter when I need to drive the LS.

Who took a poop all over your carpet? Every pic the carpeting looks nasty, i guess one of those colors that shows dirt way too much. Also that equalizer/crossover deal you got going on in the dash looks like something my older brother had in his first car waaaay back in the 80's. I like it though.

I've always liked tan and grey interior over black.
My car is not a show car and it's winter I just took some people to the airport plus I took some quick pictures.
I've also hauled some car stuff in the trunk like the old non posi pumpkin and other parts which is where the red staining comes from.
When it comes time I'll just put some new felt over the old felt to clean it up if it doesn't clean up.
I have a complete new extra 2005 engine and ILLS old STS based turbo kit(he was an STS dealer before he went back into the navy) I may get to this year now that my 3 year Camaro rebuild project is almost finished so I'm planning on keeping this car a long time.
I never used the ashtray and like how the 2 half din units look together in it's place.
It took some effort to make enough room since the heating duct parts behind the ashtray that go to the back of the console have to be removed and a metal bracket bent down.
I use the center gain control on the crossover a lot to dial in the perfect level of mids(louder or quieter singing for instance or a thumpy heavy bass sound by turning the mids down and bass up) and can add significant bass to the door speakers by turning the crossover frequency down on the mids.
Tweeters and seat subs I hardly ever adjust unless I want to turn the vibrating seats off.
There's 4 seperate sliders on the kenwood eq that adjust the woofer frequency and volume.
I play with them alot depending on the songs.
All the components can take a crash overload of signal volume without being damaged as sometimes happens with the next song on the ipod if the levels are high and it's louder set than the previous one.
This is an updated and refined setup similar to the one I had from 1992-1999.
Then I bought my 97 Camaro vert in 2000 and tunes took a back seat to rocket acceleration mods(culminating in a forged 4 bolt main supercharged 383 stroker manual 6 speed with 3.73 gears :D can't wait to drive it soon now that all the bugs from the new engine trans have been sorted out) although the Camaro has a custom vert sub box (pics in the custom sub box thread I linked to) with 2 8" rockford subs and the same kenwood 1/2 din eq as well but no crossover and "only" 1200 watts of power.
Enough to sound real good and loud with the top down at 100 mph.
As soon as spring comes and I take the Camaro out of storage I'm going to put my other coneless subs in the footwells.

100_1132.JPG

Have you tweeked the suspension to handle that power? From what i remember the f-body's handled like an aircraft carrier.

Have you tweeked the suspension to handle that power? From what i remember the f-body's handled like an aircraft carrier.

I don't know where you got that impression.
The stock tires are 245-50-16s.
They put the engine back half under the cowl for better handling.
I used to push it to the limit on off ramps.
The center of gravity is very low.
I drove the car all summer with the new engine and M6.
It handles like it's on rails better than the LS IRS even though it has a live axle and can take the extra power.
I'm running a Powerdyne supercharger right now that with the 383 puts out 4.5 lbs of boost down from 6 when it was a 350.
Doesn't sound like much but what a huge difference if you take off the sc belt.
Probably a full second +
I have a Procharger twin intercooled kit I bought used on a Camaro board that puts out 14 lbs of boost on a 383 but haven't gotten to putting that in yet since I had some bugs to sort out with the tuning having developed a miss.
The 383 is from Golen Engines who specialize in LT-1's built specifically for supercharging with nominal 10 to 1 compression.
It sings up to 6000 rpm like a hot bike.
Engine and M6 took a lot longer and had more bugs than initially expected.
I don't dump the clutch at 4000 rpm to launch it so I'm not worried about breaking the 7.75 diam LSD 10 bolt.
For test flights :D I have a private lift and a virtual 1/8 mile smooth concrete drag strip in the empty shopping plaza sized parking lot next to my building in a large industrial business park at the end of a dead end street.
Can let it go up to 85mph or so before having to slow it down.

Maybe with 10 more lbs of boost and 450+rwhp, (330rwhp 410 flywheel right now) with the 4.5 lbs it may need a 12 bolt rear end and some suspension pieces but only if I actually break it.

After all the time it's taken I just want to drive it now for a while as it's extremely joyfully satisfying as it is. :D:D:D:D

The mystery problem of an intermittent miss that threw no codes but flashed the SES light was oil from the supercharger pcv oil trap thagt I added was leaking onto the optispark distributor under the waterpump and filling it up causing my problems.
After changing out the distributor and sealing it to be watertight the car ran great just before I put it away.

Members online

No members online now.
Back