Service Parking Brake Light comes on every now and then??

Lincoln LS

1. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Not that I know of. I do know that the PB and the PCM talk to each other.

2. REDBED

REDBED Well-Known LVC Member

3. LS4me

LS4me Dedicated LVC Member

Got the message again and the brake wouldn't engage until I turned the car off. Then, I changed my wife's brake pads and the right rear caliper hung-up. I noticed a nub on the back of the brake pad and a couple of indentations on the piston 180º from each other. I disassembled the caliper and screwed the piston in to align with the nub on the brake pad. Problem solved. As I was out today in my LS I noticed the same caliper had hung-up. All calipers were cool to the touch save the right rear, which was quite hot! At our next stop (and prior to this one instance; I changed the pads a year or so ago) all is normal.

Question..... Is the nub on the pad SUPPOSED to line up with one of the indentations? When the piston extends, does it twist out or push out like the fronts?

NEVER MIND..... From the service manual....

I guess in the future I should read the instructions!!

4. Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er New LVC Member

What kind of diagnostic tool is needed to slack up the cable? Is it needed. My actuator went bad, ordered a new one. I would like to install it tomorrow. By the way, this forum has been very helpful.

5. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

It should adjust itself if you follow the initialization procedure. (It's in your owner's manual.)

6. Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er New LVC Member

The PDF that was posted above mentions to hook up to a diagnostic tool to slacken the cable to remove the actuator.

Parking Brake Actuator Printable View (9 KB)

Removal

NOTE: The electronic parking brake (EPB) system must be reset following the EPB system reset procedure if the battery has been discontinued. Refer to Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Resetting in the diagnostic section.
    1.Release the tension on the parking brake cables by connecting the diagnostic tool to the vehicle and following the diagnostic tool instructions to slacken the EPB cables.
    2.With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
    3.Separate the EPB actuator cable from the parking brake cable and conduits at the equalizer.
    4.Release the EPB actuator cable grommet from the subframe.
    5.Disconnect the EPB actuator electrical connector.
    6.Remove the 2 EPB actuator assembly bolts. •To install, tighten to 23 Nm (17 lb-ft).

7.To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er New LVC Member

Anyone?

8. Docbymyside

Docbymyside New LVC Member

9. Docbymyside

Docbymyside New LVC Member

I had the same problem "check service brake" light wouldn't turn off! I did disconnect the negative but was a temporary fix...stalled out a few times. I was even getting a readout status of a bad left brake lamp. I had my battery checked and found to have a bad cell (4 years old). New battery was installed and all the electronics fell into place. Working perfectly. All I had to do was reset my radio stations. Initially, do depress brake upon start up!

10. Rob123

Rob123 New LVC Member

Hey Guys,
    I have read your many concerns regarding the EPB on the Lincoln LS. I just put my 2006 back on the road after the winter. The battery went dead over the winter and I received the warning on my display that the parking brake required servicing that I should depress the brake pedal etc. Along with this was the alarm going off every 20 seconds to tell me I wasn't paying attention.
    Well for those who have has their battery die or become detached during servicing, the fix is quite simple. I just performed this less than 1 minute procedure on my LS and it worked. I found it on another site but, since links tend to die, I am printing it below and hopefully you'll have the same luck I have had:
    Search Results
    To reset the EPB system, follow the steps:
    1. Place gearshift selector in the park (P) position.
    2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
    3. Press the brake pedal and at the same time pull on the EPB switch.
    4. Then release the EPB switch. To release the EPB switch, push on the EPB switch while depressing the brake pedal.
    Tell me if this works as well for you as it did for me!

11. lincoln_zero

lincoln_zero Dedicated LVC Member

Bruh Who uses stock audio these days. Rip that trash out and do a custom audio setup.

You can fit home audio drivers like a 5-1/4 mid and a 1" tweeter in the door of the LS. You'll have to cut the frame of the home audio tweeter on one side and itll fit and sound great. Get a pair of Audax mids with seas tweeters. mmmm