Service Parking Brake Light comes on every now and then??

Got the message again and the brake wouldn't engage until I turned the car off. Then, I changed my wife's brake pads and the right rear caliper hung-up. I noticed a nub on the back of the brake pad and a couple of indentations on the piston 180º from each other. I disassembled the caliper and screwed the piston in to align with the nub on the brake pad. Problem solved. As I was out today in my LS I noticed the same caliper had hung-up. All calipers were cool to the touch save the right rear, which was quite hot! At our next stop (and prior to this one instance; I changed the pads a year or so ago) all is normal.

Question..... Is the nub on the pad SUPPOSED to line up with one of the indentations? When the piston extends, does it twist out or push out like the fronts?

NEVER MIND..... From the service manual....

2: Position the notch in the caliper piston up and down to align with the alignment pin on the brake pad.

I guess in the future I should read the instructions!!

What kind of diagnostic tool is needed to slack up the cable? Is it needed. My actuator went bad, ordered a new one. I would like to install it tomorrow. By the way, this forum has been very helpful.

It should adjust itself if you follow the initialization procedure. (It's in your owner's manual.)

The PDF that was posted above mentions to hook up to a diagnostic tool to slacken the cable to remove the actuator.

Parking Brake Actuator Printable View (9 KB)

Removal

NOTE: The electronic parking brake (EPB) system must be reset following the EPB system reset procedure if the battery has been discontinued. Refer to Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Resetting in the diagnostic section.
1.Release the tension on the parking brake cables by connecting the diagnostic tool to the vehicle and following the diagnostic tool instructions to slacken the EPB cables.
2.With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
3.Separate the EPB actuator cable from the parking brake cable and conduits at the equalizer.
4.Release the EPB actuator cable grommet from the subframe.
5.Disconnect the EPB actuator electrical connector.
6.Remove the 2 EPB actuator assembly bolts. •To install, tighten to 23 Nm (17 lb-ft).

7.To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Last edited:
I had the same problem "check service brake" light wouldn't turn off! I did disconnect the negative but was a temporary fix...stalled out a few times. I was even getting a readout status of a bad left brake lamp. I had my battery checked and found to have a bad cell (4 years old). New battery was installed and all the electronics fell into place. Working perfectly. All I had to do was reset my radio stations. Initially, do depress brake upon start up!

Hey Guys,
I have read your many concerns regarding the EPB on the Lincoln LS. I just put my 2006 back on the road after the winter. The battery went dead over the winter and I received the warning on my display that the parking brake required servicing that I should depress the brake pedal etc. Along with this was the alarm going off every 20 seconds to tell me I wasn't paying attention.
Well for those who have has their battery die or become detached during servicing, the fix is quite simple. I just performed this less than 1 minute procedure on my LS and it worked. I found it on another site but, since links tend to die, I am printing it below and hopefully you'll have the same luck I have had:
Search Results
To reset the EPB system, follow the steps:
  1. Place gearshift selector in the park (P) position.
  2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
  3. Press the brake pedal and at the same time pull on the EPB switch.
  4. Then release the EPB switch. To release the EPB switch, push on the EPB switch while depressing the brake pedal.
Tell me if this works as well for you as it did for me!

Hey, Joe...... Does the AdvanceTrac and PB interface at all? I wonder if the real problem causing the tone is the proximity of the PB module to the amp...... Just grasping here......

Bruh Who uses stock audio these days. Rip that trash out and do a custom audio setup.

You can fit home audio drivers like a 5-1/4 mid and a 1" tweeter in the door of the LS. You'll have to cut the frame of the home audio tweeter on one side and itll fit and sound great. Get a pair of Audax mids with seas tweeters. mmmm

Hey guys so ive been having this problem for a couple months now at first it would pop up every now and again no problem whatever parking engages and disengages fine not bothering me yet plus i had just moved cross country (literally started like the day i was gonna leave) so now its been getting worse im not driving the car all the time now but when i do it seems to be on almost all the time now and beeping a nd just says service parking break or something like that but engages and disengages fine ....what do you think it is ...module in the trunk needs to be swapped out ? i recently just had to change my heater control switch on the dash cause that was wigging out flashign all types of numbers now its working fine again ..but yeah that parking break though...any help is greatly appreciated guys!!

Hey guys so ive been having this problem for a couple months now at first it would pop up every now and again no problem whatever parking engages and disengages fine not bothering me yet plus i had just moved cross country (literally started like the day i was gonna leave) so now its been getting worse im not driving the car all the time now but when i do it seems to be on almost all the time now and beeping a nd just says service parking break or something like that but engages and disengages fine ....what do you think it is ...module in the trunk needs to be swapped out ? i recently just had to change my heater control switch on the dash cause that was wigging out flashign all types of numbers now its working fine again ..but yeah that parking break though...any help is greatly appreciated guys!!

The "heater control switch" is called the DATC, as it is way more than a switch and controls more than just the heater.

There are a number of things that can cause the EPB service message, and some of those have nothing to do with the parts of the EPB. Note that the EPB has a control module in the trunk, and actuator under the car near a rear axial, a couple of cables (including an equalizer), and of course the parts on the rear calipers. A weak battery, data bus wiring issues, some PCM faults, and even a failing DCCV can all cause EPB faults. Assuming that you don't want to randomly throw all those parts at it till it is resolved, you will want to do some diagnosis on it.

To start the electrical diagnosis, you need a scan tool that can read the EPB DTCs. Most can't. The Windows version of Forscan can do it. The software is free, but a $20 or so OBDII to USB adapter is required. It needs to be one that works with Forscan and has the switch to choose the low and high speed buses. The codes that you get won't tell you the problem so much as what to test to find the problem.

For the mechanical diagnosis, inspect the cables under the car for corrosion and for frayed ends. Check the brakes for reasonable pad thickness and that all the caliper hardware moves correctly.

Thanks for the info im gonna go grab my obd scanner and see what it has i doubt it will be able to hook up to usb its pretty basic :( but alright if i dont have the proper scan tools i guess it looks like im back to the mechanic:( from the way its been i dont think its mechanical but i will take a peak at breaks and under the car

Thanks for the info im gonna go grab my obd scanner and see what it has i doubt it will be able to hook up to usb its pretty basic :( but alright if i dont have the proper scan tools i guess it looks like im back to the mechanic:( from the way its been i dont think its mechanical but i will take a peak at breaks and under the car
FWIW Forscan App is free on Windows computer...the adapter is cheap
$18.97

• 41R9d6Cw5iL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51S8wlBKVvL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51KKgThbVNL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 5147-OPM4nL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51828em1C7L._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 518qKbaW0TL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 4177MCgw9cL._AC_US40_.jpg

• 717GectRmFL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Roll over image to zoom in

FORScan OBD2 Adapter, VINT-TT55502 ELMconfig ELM327 modified For all Windows compatible with Ford Cars F150 F250 and Light Pickup Truck Scan Tool, Code Reader MS-CAN HS-CAN Switch

Thanks man I didn't know if that's what it was i was looking for i did see that..and that will basically work with any obd2? ..also are there any other steps or advice you can recommend doing? im currently gonna be flushing out heater core and coolant system my DCCV was so shot and so clogged(heater never worked when i bought the car never bothered me til i moved out of cali to freezing ass MI!) lol..thanks man all the help is so greatly appreciated! love this site!

Thanks man I didn't know if that's what it was i was looking for i did see that..and that will basically work with any obd2? ..also are there any other steps or advice you can recommend doing? im currently gonna be flushing out heater core and coolant system my DCCV was so shot and so clogged(heater never worked when i bought the car never bothered me til i moved out of cali to freezing ass MI!) lol..thanks man all the help is so greatly appreciated! love this site!
If you truly want to flush the system really good yourself I suggest using Distilled water and filling up the system a couple times and opening the pet cock and letting it drain ...otherwise they're is flushing machines at shops that will flush it professionally as you prolly know ...the Forscan app can recalibrate your ABS system which basically marries the ABS system with the PCM also the Lateral steering/Yaw rate sensor can be recalibrated ...as far as the Parking Brake goes it will let you know what the problem is...whether you have a shorted wire or something more serious...you can press the brake in and turn the EPB on and as you let go of brake you can turn it off in order to reset it...you must do this everytime the battery is disconnected

.you can press the brake in and turn the EPB on and as you let go of brake you can turn it off in order to reset it...you must do this everytime the battery is disconnected
.. maybe thats whats wrong right now cause its been beeping extra obnoxiously since i replaced the battery last week ..will disconnect the battery again and connect then i will try and "reset" the EPB thanks for the great advice

** hey guys that actually seemed to help quite a bit! havent drove my car for more then a couple blocks and is all take apart right now but in that drive it would have normally been beeping constantly but was fine no warning no beep the whole time..thanks for the great advice!

Last edited:

Members online

Back