Service Parking Brake Light comes on every now and then??

Tony7781

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys, maybe someone has had this experience. Sometimes and not all the time but I get the message on my dash board stating "Service Parking Brake" I have brought my car to the dealer but the light NEVER goes on when I am there and they can't understand why it would go on and constantly say there is nothing wrong with it. The light only goes on sparadically. does anyone know why this would happen?? Or how I can fix it??

Hi,
I have a 2004 LS and a 2006 LS. I have never had a problem with the 2006, but the 2004 does exactly what you describe. I have found that if I turn the key on briefly and back off without starting the car, then the "service parking brake" message will sometimes come up when I start the car later. It clears after a driving cycle. I think there was a service bulletin about this exact problem for 2004 cars, but I never got around to taking it in while it was still in warranty. I think the bulletin said to replace the whole module. It hasn't brothered me enough to do that. My best guess is that it's a software bug in the module.

Hi,
I have a 2004 LS and a 2006 LS. I have never had a problem with the 2006, but the 2004 does exactly what you describe. I have found that if I turn the key on briefly and back off without starting the car, then the "service parking brake" message will sometimes come up when I start the car later. It clears after a driving cycle. I think there was a service bulletin about this exact problem for 2004 cars, but I never got around to taking it in while it was still in warranty. I think the bulletin said to replace the whole module. It hasn't brothered me enough to do that. My best guess is that it's a software bug in the module.

Hmmm, thats stinks. If I have to replace a module for that I say EFF IT!!

Brake fluid level has nothing to do with the function of the parking brake module. Also, if you pull the error codes for the module, they sure don't seem to be related to the pads. Lastly, my 04 still does this after replacement of the pads (due to normal wear).

Mine does the same thing from time to time. I just turn the engine off and it restart and it goes away but nobody knows the problem

My 2003 does this as well, but only in the winter. I called the dealership and explained and they told me not to worry about it, the sensor just acts flakey when it gets cold out. I still want it fixed, but don't know what to say to them so I just left it. Please post if you do get this issue resolved. Thanks.

I don't believe so? I know my rear pads still have a lot of meat left. I think it's just one of those Lincoln things. Like the mysterious message center beep, the SST not responding sometimes, etc.. lol

I had the same problem with it eventually staying on all the time early last year. I took her in to the Dealer and when checked out, it was the Parking Brake module. They replaced under my extended warranty. I had several other items done at the same time to save on that $100.00 deductable.

I had the same problem with it eventually staying on all the time early last year. I took her in to the Dealer and when checked out, it was the Parking Brake module. They replaced under my extended warranty. I had several other items done at the same time to save on that $100.00 deductable.

Mine just started doing this tonight. My cone filter fell off and my car was running like crap so I tightened it up and reset the car by disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes. After I reconnected the cable the parking brake light itself stays on and will not turn off and the "check parking brake" has showed up in my message center. I guess I'll have to take her in as well and get it checked out unless someone else has any ideas?

Going off memory here, when I reset my computer by disconnecting the battery the parking brake light came on, and the message center requested that I apply the parking brake, and release it. Have you tried just applying the brake?

Going off memory here, when I reset my computer by disconnecting the battery the parking brake light came on, and the message center requested that I apply the parking brake, and release it. Have you tried just applying the brake?

Yes, usually it has me do that but the light stays on and the message center says "service parking brake." However, this, morning it had me apply the park brake and the message went away. My LS was just acting up I suppose.

it happens to me whenever i autostart my car. lol. really weird. in have an 03 v8

Mine just started doing this tonight. My cone filter fell off and my car was running like crap so I tightened it up and reset the car by disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes. After I reconnected the cable the parking brake light itself stays on and will not turn off and the "check parking brake" has showed up in my message center. I guess I'll have to take her in as well and get it checked out unless someone else has any ideas?

So much for that whole "mine only has 20k on it" talk, eh.

So much for that whole "mine only has 20k on it" talk, eh.

Still under warranty so I'm not really worried about it. What can I say, its a Gen 2 first year production model. It'll get fixed. Still probably one of the lowest mileage models on this site however.

Time for a resurrection.......

So yesterday we were out and I stopped to search the NAV for a local fast food joint. I turned off the car and as is my practice activated the parking brake. We found our destination, I started the car and was greeted by the Service Parking Brake message. I was a little peeved until I tried to release the brake; at which point I got a LOT peeved. The brake wouldn't disengage!!!! GREAT, but at least the dealer was only a couple of miles away and would be open when we got there. I turned the car off, then back on which released the brake but the message was still there and the amber light by the switch was illuminated. Fine, I'll take care of this next week. We arrive at the restaurant and just for fun I unplugged the switch just to see what would happen. Welllll.... The cluster warning flashed at me and the amber light was still lit!!!!! Oh well, no worries as, again, I'll take her in next week. We finish our lunch and get in the car to leave. Wellll.. The message is gone and everything works as it's supposed to! I have used the PB every time I park so there's no way anything could have been frozen from lack of use.

I'm just chalking this up to an anomalous electrical gremlin.

My module flipped out once and it stuck with the PB engaged.

I had to get a ride to pick up a second module I had at home and come back and plug it in.

I still have both models back in the trunk, one screwed in, and the other hooked up and "floating" via the wiring.

Is this module located in the trunk under the liner? I had this problem and I thought it was under car by the rear brakes?

Members online

No members online now.
Back