School me on the LS.

That's all fine and well you paid $8,000 for it. And, how many miles on it?
142k. And thats a little high for what I paid BUT the car included over $25,000 worth of service history and had new idler, tie rods, control arms, engine mounts, power steering lines, engine seals, radiator, idlers, water pump, alternator (water cooled) and brakes done 2 months before I bought it.
The only thing I have had to do to it is an oil change and tires.... which it didnt really need but the stock size looked too narrow on the factory wheels.

This is what $8000 bought:

cc.gif

IMG_20120302_124325.gif

IMGP0006-2.gif

1327798090234.gif

IMGP2390.jpg

IMGP2387.jpg

IMGP2382.jpg

The LS is NOT a rare car. On my way home from work I see no less then 6 of them. Thats not including the 4 on my street or the three in Sapperfires parking lot. I often joke about it with my friends "Oh look, a rare LS!" cause I see more of them then Honda Accords.

An E38 is a MUCH more rare car. I know of two in all of Waco and have never seen one near my shop area. People all the time comment how they never see a car like mine.

I do want the THX system though and only one of the LS I saw had the THX setup. Thats why I was curious about the changeover.

I guess it depends on where you live. There are as many BMWs (of all variations) around here as there are Mustangs. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting 3 or 4. Other than the 3 LSes I have in my garage and the one I see parked outside 2 miles from my house I see on the way to work, I can go at least a week without seeing one. In fact, I saw one in the last 3 weeks. They made less than 300K LSes TOTAL!

The THX/NAV was designed/certified (THX is nothing more than a certification; Pioneer makes the components) sometime in '02 for release in the '03s. There is no Bluetooth capability.

I guess it depends on where you live. There are as many BMWs (of all variations) around here as there are Mustangs. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting 3 or 4. Other than the 3 LSes I have in my garage and the one I see parked outside 2 miles from my house I see on the way to work, I can go at least a week without seeing one. In fact, I saw one in the last 3 weeks. They made less than 300K LSes TOTAL!

Exactly what I was thinking! Here in Connecticut, BMW and Acura seem to be the official state car - I bet every third or fourth car is some model of those. Now I'm not saying that the 740I M-Sport is particularly common, but I agree with LS4me - I can easily go a week without seeing another LS sometimes! And I'm looking for them :)

I'd keep that BMW, that's one nice looking car you have there. Sounds like you're settling on the LS. Never settle and get what you want. Then again, if you really want an LS then go for it, sell it, buy your tools, then let the fun of shopping for a car begin.

As far as how common these are, I see at least one besides mine everyday. There's a few in the area but I seem to always cross paths with one particular one on my way home from work. Light parchment gold, tinted windows, and a/m hid's.

Yeah, I see them more and more every year. they are just so cheap now, to buy not to own though. But I still see much less than other vehicles

Interesting. Cause in Houston, Austin, Dallas, Waco, Hubbard, Bellmead, Hillsburough, Corsicana, Dawson, Mexia, Ennis, Gun Barrel, Tyler they are very common. Cant go more then 5 minutes without seeing one. They did make 170,000 of them for America alone. There were about 70,000 740i/740iLs sent to America and another 30,000 750iLs.

Now while I see 3 series and 5 series like crazy I dont see mant E38 cars around. Seen quite a few 02+ 745s and 750s in Dallas and Austin but not in my area.

What I have noticed is almost all 3 series drivers are ass hats. A good number of 5 series drivers are also douches. The few times I have seen a 7 series they are usually driving like a sane person unless they see my car..... then they feel the urge to race me. :lol: I have taken down a 750iL, two 740iLs and a 740i Sport that was badged as an Alpina...... which dont exist here. :lol:

Well I threw my 740i up for sale and have several people interested. If it sells it sells and I will go check out an LS. If I like it I may switch to the dark side.

I tell ya the thing that made me really consider the LS is the cooled seats and the module that can be added to the THX system to add Bluetooth and video options.

Interesting. Cause in Houston, Austin, Dallas, Waco, Hubbard, Bellmead, Hillsburough, Corsicana, Dawson, Mexia, Ennis, Gun Barrel, Tyler they are very common. Cant go more then 5 minutes without seeing one. They did make 170,000 of them for America alone. There were about 70,000 740i/740iLs sent to America and another 30,000 750iLs.

Now while I see 3 series and 5 series like crazy I dont see mant E38 cars around. Seen quite a few 02+ 745s and 750s in Dallas and Austin but not in my area.

What I have noticed is almost all 3 series drivers are ass hats. A good number of 5 series drivers are also douches. The few times I have seen a 7 series they are usually driving like a sane person unless they see my car..... then they feel the urge to race me. :lol: I have taken down a 750iL, two 740iLs and a 740i Sport that was badged as an Alpina...... which dont exist here. :lol:

Well I threw my 740i up for sale and have several people interested. If it sells it sells and I will go check out an LS. If I like it I may switch to the dark side.

I tell ya the thing that made me really consider the LS is the cooled seats and the module that can be added to the THX system to add Bluetooth and video options.

Just a note on the cooled seats. They're awesome for sure but if the previous owner was heavy the ducts can sometimes get crushed and may need to be replaced. Fairly simple job but just good to know if thats a main selling point for you.

Also I dont really know what the module you're talking about i nthe second part is. Care to elaborate a bit?

the module that can be added to the THX system to add Bluetooth and video options.

One big problem with video on the NAV screen is the crappy resolution. The screen was meant for (basic) NAV functions and not video viewing.

do yourself a favor, i would keep the euro car you have now, instead of trading it in for the faux-euro car. the 740's are damn nice cars and being an M sport just makes it that much nicer.

its probably a toss up between which one requires more work over the long haul (but you dont seem to keep them that long anyway!)

i would hold out for another good deal on a mark!

however, if tools are needed...

my granddaddy always said, your tools is what makes you money, so dont be afraid to spend a good deal of money on your tools!

and if you can get a steal on a decent LS and fix the little dumb sh!t and make some money, then go for it!

best part two things about owning an LS is having auto down AND up windows that can be opened by the factory remote to let out all that trapped heat, and the fact that you will never have to deal with a leak in the suspension ever again!!!

If i had a 740, i would only be satisfied with a newer 5 or 7 series.

LS's are not very common. Yes you may see one everyday but its nowhere near as common as an accord or an altima. BMW's are all over the place. Theres a 740iL parked downstairs at my apt and i just drove past a 750iL coming home from work.

I see several LS's around here but they are mostly stock and first gen. Ive seen one other 2006 and it wasnt black like mine. Havent seen many LSE's either. The THX system sounds very good but is lacking on the navigation/graphics side.

You would also need a new map cd for it.

Last edited:
there are a lot of cars I would take over the LS but for reasons such as aftermarket, performance, and looks. I like my ls but it is by no means the coolest car around, and much less luxurious than many cars out there today. Like I said I like my ls but its kind of boring and way to costly for what you are getting.

Makes no sense to compare a 2002 LS to cars out now though.

Even my 2006 is somewhat lacking compared to other luxury cars from the same year. But it was affordable and really isn't very expensive to maintain. And being fully loaded well i have all nice features that you would expect from a modern luxury car.

Going on 6 years old now and when its cleaned up people ask if its from 2009-2010 and when i tell them the year they look surprised.

All these newer cars out now have tons of recall's and updates and junk to deal with. Cars are getting way too computerized. I sat in a 2009 accord and was really surprised by how much those cars have improved.

Still would not buy one as i prefer RWD.

My favorite options are the HID's and backup sensors. They have kept me from backing into anything so far.

And laser you said in another post that your 740 would destroy an LS...you sure about that?? Ive personally clocked my car at 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds and ive hit 125mph and it was still pulling hard.

It makes perfect sense, if you are in the market for a used car than anything from 1900 to 2011 is up for comparison, anything from a pinto to a Koenigsegg can be compared. And it would be apples to apples, they are both cars and they are both for sale and have the same purpose, to move you from one place to another.

So yes I will compare my ls to newer cars, its not like they do not exist because they are newer.

There are older cars with much more luxury than ares and there are newer ones with less.

I would take a 66 pontiac catalina over the ls any day of the week and I would take my ls over a civic any day of the week.

Well in that case find me a sedan with a V8, rwd, adjustable power seats, pedals and steering wheel, HID's, backup sensors, NAV, moonroof, Heated/cooled seats, Wood steering wheel, shifter and accents for $10-$13K.

It makes perfect sense, if you are in the market for a used car than anything from 1900 to 2011 is up for comparison, anything from a pinto to a Koenigsegg can be compared. And it would be apples to apples, they are both cars and they are both for sale and have the same purpose, to move you from one place to another.

This ridiculous statement doesn't even dignify a response. It's just plain ludicrous!

could always check out and get a 11th gen t-bird and say you have a cheap coupe version of the ls lol.

could always check out and get a 11th gen t-bird and say you have a cheap coupe version of the ls lol.

Nothin cheap about them. They cost way more than a comparable LS. They want $18k for an 04 with 56k miles around here.

This ridiculous statement doesn't even dignify a response. It's just plain ludicrous!

how, you can compare any two cars, one may blow the other out of the water, but they can be compared. If you do not know what a comparison is, I'm sorry. Simply comparing two cars doesn't need them top be in the same class or make or anything. like that.

I have no idea why you people think there is nothing comparable to the ls, its not that great of a car. it's fun and I like it but there are plenty of other cars out there that have these types of features.

Nothin cheap about them. They cost way more than a comparable LS. They want $18k for an 04 with 56k miles around here.

didnt mean price wise, meant quality wise.
the ls has way more options and the interior looks cheap in the t-bird.

how, you can compare any two cars, one may blow the other out of the water, but they can be compared. If you do not know what a comparison is, I'm sorry. Simply comparing two cars doesn't need them top be in the same class or make or anything. like that.

I have no idea why you people think there is nothing comparable to the ls, its not that great of a car. it's fun and I like it but there are plenty of other cars out there that have these types of features.

By your definition a Moped is comparable to a car. You will NEVER be able to intelligently compare a Model T to Bugatti Veyron!

Members online

No members online now.
Back