Reving up by itself! (yes, another problem!!!)

UltimateSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Miami, FL(Home of the rust free MARK VIII's
Reving up by itself! (NEW PICS INSIDE!!!)

Here we go gentlemen, problem # 439,756 in my car! lol

I start my car & it will run perfectly fine I leave the house & within the first mile I will notice my car wanting to speed up on it's own when going 30-50MPH. When I start slowing down to a full stop you feel the car pushing, insisting on accelerating! When I reach a full stop & place the car on NEUTRAL, it revs up to 2,000 - 2,800 RPM's. It will NOT come down! I kick it into gear (killing my tranny) & after driving for a good couple miles the car goes back to normal, it doesn't do it anymore. Then after a few minutes it'll start doing it again! Sometimes it will only go up to 1,500-1,600 RPM's but for the most part it really rev's up!

What could this be? Any suggestions? What should I look for?:confused:

Sticking Idle Air Control valve (IAC)? Maybe a vacuum leak, but that would be more consistent. But its worth checking the notorious "T" piece near the throttle body. Just look for a large black tube along the firewall, it enters the T.
Even seen this with a sticking throttle cable. It may not feel like its sticking, but it does not take much. Had that with a VW I had. Or, for that matter, a sticky throttle body. Maybe one that was not cleaned correctly, or is VERY gummed up.

If a TPS goes, the car would not really behave like this because the TPS would say the throttle body is open when its not. So the fuel air mixture would be way out of whack and the car may stall, etc. So when a TPS goes, the car acts very strange and runs rough. To maintain a high idle you need lots of air.

I don't think the throttle cable would make it rev up and down, but it is interesting when they stick! Check the iac as suggested, could the mass air flow sensor do that?

Dirty throttle body (maybe) or IAC (more then likely)

Do you have any trouble starting the car? When my IAC went the car would start then it would just die.

Guys, well let me begin by saying that I just came out of the hospital. I was caught by surprise this morning with horrible shivering, no fever, not feeling bad, just trembling worst than Micheal J. Fox. (God, please forgive me for that one!) Anyway, turns out its pneumonia!

I just got home right now, as soon as i feel better I'll make sure to attack this issue.

#1. I do not have trouble starting the car

#2. I cleaned the throttle body about 5 months ago

#3. Car does not want to stall, it idles perfectly fine, then on its own it starts to rev up (smoothly).

When my T was splt open the car acted like it had an over sized crank and would lope rpms 1000-1400, but would strain as it would develope a miss under load, with that being said, my money is on the IAC as well

He knows I am just messing around. He follows advice a good 60% of the time. :D

LMFAO!

Laser all kidding aside, you are absolutely right about the 60%, truthfully I'd follow advice 100% of the time if I had the money to fix things 100% of the time, lol :(

Ok, so I'll check the IAC this weekend! So what should I look for? cracked T line? Disconnected T line, etc..? I'll take apart the whole intake to be on the safe side just to make sure!

Did I mention that my air filter is dirtier that Madonna's cooch? Don't have the cash to buy one of those either! Sucks to get married low on $$$!

I figured as much, I just come on here o read and learn about these cars so I get to see all the fun you guys have.

LMFAO!

Did I mention that my air filter is dirtier that Madonna's cooch? Don't have the cash to buy one of those either! Sucks to get married low on $$$!

Same here Just not the married part!

Take filter out, vacuum dirt out of it...reinstall..I've had to do it that way when I couldn't afford one too

Sapper, did I give you that Accel filter for your car?

Ok guys, took a look @ the T-fitting (circled in yellow) & everything looks normal, everything's plugged in, etc... where's the IAC? Can someone help?

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

IAC in that pic is behind the intake tube, on the back side of the motor, attached to the throttle body... Good luck and godspeed if you're gonna change it.

IAC in that pic is behind the intake tube, on the back side of the motor, attached to the throttle body... Good luck and godspeed if you're gonna change it.

Holy fvcking sh!t are you fvcking serious?:Bang

Who has done this before & what should I expect?

Ok so remove the intake, get that sh!t outta the way & look for what? + how does it come off?:confused:

Sorry guys, I have to ask because unfortunately I work Mon - Fri from 8:30am - 7:00pm. By the time I get home & do what I have to do it's close to 9pm. I don't have time until weekends which are 90% occupied by my future wedding planning.

If I get a 3 hour window on a Saturday morning I want to attack it, go straight to the source & get rid of the issue.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!:(

I thinkn you car is just telling you that you are driving too slow
Dude, I have received 3 tickets in the last 4 months! All due to my MK8! I'm not driving any faster, lol!

Take the Throttle body off and you can get at it .. Throttle body comes off pretty easy.. You can take off the wiper cowl for more room if it's a problem.

Looks like I'm going to have a blast..... whenever I have the time to do this!

Members online

No members online now.
Back